Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Another outspoken journalist has jumped back into the blogging business in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Charlie "The Brick" Bricker: "I'm losing track of the number of calls and email I'm getting about Jennifer Capriati. Is she coming back? When will she start practicing? Etc., etc., etc. OK, here it is. She's in the weight room and she's doing off-court work, both at Saddlebrook and in Palm Beach County, near her mother's home. She is not, however, in full court training and she's not going to push it with her recovering shoulder. She doesn't want to go through this surgery again. Jen will not play the Nasdaq-100 Open (March 22-April 2) but she's a possible for the French, which begins May 29.""

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-02-25/d.php

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
thanks for that, it least its something. and is reported that shes doing off court stuff and wants to make sure she will be healthy, why......

because shes probally fucking coming back! YES!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This is great news!!!

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
That is awesome!!! I would be beyond happy if she played @ the French!! HOPING for the French!!!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Oh thank you so much for that. It was definitely needed and now. So she wants to comeback but not push herself too hard and reinjury her shoulder. She usually plays so well at the FO, I hope she is well enough by then...but I'm not to confident she will be ready at that time. I'd put my money on a summer hardcourt return..but sooner is even better.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Thnx and it's good to hear. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I don't think she'll be back by the Fo. Prove me wrong Jen!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
shes gotta play wimbledon cos im going!im savin my ass off to get there i dont wanna have wasted all the time and money
great news

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Finally some news! and it is encouraging!!! She def. not retiring! She's just being cautious, and wanting to come back at top level, I suspect! She doesn't want to come back medicore and lose to people she would not normally lose to

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys read more good news into this than I do.

All the guys said is that Jen wants to come back and is doing off court work.

I want to play tennis and I do off court work....doesnt mean I will be playing pro-tennis anytime soon.

His posting only tells us that she isnt ready and isnt CLOSE to getting ready. But that she hopes to...one day.

I love her and hope she does, but it doesnt look promising to me.

JMHO.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Good news, i hope she's back for wimbledon :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
:lol: how many emails did u send??

thanks for the news

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Albert Hodges said:
You guys read more good news into this than I do.

All the guys said is that Jen wants to come back and is doing off court work.

I want to play tennis and I do off court work....doesnt mean I will be playing pro-tennis anytime soon.

His posting only tells us that she isnt ready and isnt CLOSE to getting ready. But that she hopes to...one day.

I love her and hope she does, but it doesnt look promising to me.

JMHO.
I don't see how Bricker implies that Jen isn't close to coming back. The fact that she's lifting weights is an excellent sign. Several months ago, she probably wasn't even allowed to lift weights, as it could have been damaging to her shoulder and wrist.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget that Jen had a bad wrist. Everyone focuses on the shoulder, but the wrist is a very serious injury. Marat Safin and Kim Clijsters both lost several months due to bad wrists and the fact that Jen needed surgery for her wrist shows how exceedingly difficult her rehab has been. If a wrist injury can keep one out 6-8 months and a shoulder injury can keep you out for 8-14 months, then imagine what it's like to come back from both!

Jen's been playing tennis since she was knee high to a grasshopper and is one of the best strikers of the ball. However, she can't be effective unless she is at full strength. That's why I see the offcourt work as so important. She probably lost a ton of upper body strength from not being able to lift weights for a very long time. She has to build that back up. Also, she's not going to need that much offcourt hitting to get her strokes back. She might not need to practice oncourt for more than 3-5 weeks before playing her first tournament.

Reactions: bigshow21

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
JennyS said:
I don't see how Bricker implies that Jen isn't close to coming back. The fact that she's lifting weights is an excellent sign. Several months ago, she probably wasn't even allowed to lift weights, as it could have been damaging to her shoulder and wrist.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget that Jen had a bad wrist. Everyone focuses on the shoulder, but the wrist is a very serious injury. Marat Safin and Kim Clijsters both lost several months due to bad wrists and the fact that Jen needed surgery for her wrist shows how exceedingly difficult her rehab has been. If a wrist injury can keep one out 6-8 months and a shoulder injury can keep you out for 8-14 months, then imagine what it's like to come back from both!

Jen's been playing tennis since she was knee high to a grasshopper and is one of the best strikers of the ball. However, she can't be effective unless she is at full strength. That's why I see the offcourt work as so important. She probably lost a ton of upper body strength from not being able to lift weights for a very long time. She has to build that back up. Also, she's not going to need that much offcourt hitting to get her strokes back. She might not need to practice oncourt for more than 3-5 weeks before playing her first tournament.

Totally agree, I think July will be the latest. :) :kiss:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Excellent post JennyS!!! I totally agree!!! I love the optimism too..makes me excited and anxious for her return!! Plus, I just can't believe we actually got an update/news! Shocking.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually think that the grasscourt season would be an ideal time to come back. The claycourt season is so grueling and Jen's already won the French, so why come back then? The rallies are so long, so even though the surface is soft, it's still harder on the upper body than the faster surfaces are.

There would be a lot of benefits of coming back for the grasscourt season. For one, it would give Jen one Slam under her belt prior to the US Open. I think this would make her mentally sharp for the Open. Also, since she's been out so long and grass isn't her best surface, there'd be few expectations at Wimby and Jen would have no pressure there. And we all know how Jen does when there's no expectations.

Let’s assume, Jen will need 4-6 weeks of oncourt hitting before playing her first tournament. Here are the following timetables for her possible return dates and when Jen would need to start training by.......

1. To make it back for the claycourt warmups: March 27th-May 1st
2. to make it back for the grasscourt warmups: May 1-May 29th
3. to make it back during the summer hardcourt season: June 5-July 24

Options two and three are probably the most realistic. If she can get on the practice court by early May, then maybe we will see her at Wimby.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
hmm....I don't think she will be coming back on the grass....but you never know. I think she would rather play on the hardcourts of California for her comeback! :) :kiss:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hope a grass comeback is on the cards, cause i'll be at wimbledon!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts