Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Something suspicious about that. She certainly has enough money to order a hit on that line judge that knocked her out of the US open with his free advice to not challenge the out call that was in.
Didn't we agree not to mention that again :sobbing:

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
Did read it a week ago.

First of all, how I wish the epithet she used as the title was relentless or something of the sort rather than unstoppable. Yes, on the one hand, solely so that she could avoid ridicule but to me there were a few things that did derail and 'stop' her and Yuri; it was the fact that they persevered that is the commendable, aspiring story.

I loved the backstory, if you will, it was captivating and it gave me a bigger appreciation of what it has taken to achieve what she has. Hearing that tagline of 'you came to America at 7-years-old and you did not see your mom for 2 years' sounds tough but the book really puts it into perspective. Yuri really is a trooper.

As to the controversy, it is a bit of a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'' type of situation. She had to talk about Serena since Serena has in a way defined her career. Do I think there was some racial coding going on? No. The impression I got, she was painting herself as the underdog and how unbelievable it was that she did win at 17. Do I wish she was cognizant enough not to use that description of Serena? Yes, yet I do not believe she is well-versed or aware enough of the political climate and the racial issues to know better. Let's face it she is a rich white woman so has not faced adversary connected to how she looks.

As to the overall Serena-themed talk, Maria is a human being, a flawed one so while I am not enamoured with the pettiness and bitterness that come through at times, it is what it is. It is a true representation of how she feels and it is understandable after being basically humbled time and time again; it must be a hard pill to swallow for such a strong-willed individual as herself. That relationship is a very complex one with the media and other factors playing a role and pitting them against each other. Maria has been painted as the emanation of white privilege( not that there is not some merit to it, yet it has been overblown) and I have no doubt that Serena sees her so as well.

Overall, enjoyed it quite a bit apart from the Serena & meldonium sections. Wish she did not gloss over most of the stuff post-Wimbledon, especially, the comeback years; wish there was more on her struggles in 2009-2010.

Random tid-bits:
- she read Sasha to filth for being a 18th century neanderthal;
- I so wished she kept working with Lansdorp;
- calling Henin a mosquito :spit:;
- weird that she discarded the Ebersol relationship as not being 'serious';
I agree and really do wish there were more about tennis in the latter half of her career. She (understandably) spent a lot of time describing her time at Wimbledon 2004. But even AO 08 or her two FO wins were just like a paragraph.

Also she didn't talk about 2007 at all, but I was kinda glad I didn't have to relive that year. :lol:

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
It's a sweet, lovely interview, @fed_up

But you're on a roll. Lol

After googling Yayoi Kusama, erm :unsure:
your trichotomy is triggered >:) And they call this shitty stuff "art" :rolleyes: mental illnesses are not things to be profit from. But that's the world we live in. Sadly. Can't wait for the day an alien mothership comes to earth and wipe 90% of humanity away.

Edit: shitty autocorrect. I meant trypophobia. >:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can someone clarify ( don't know if I'm being thick) but did Maria originally want to retire after Rio 2016, after US Open 2016 or after US open 2017?
I couldn't quite understand that part in her book .

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
Finished the book today. Overall it was boring to me. Wouldn't read it again. I was hoping that it would have been a book that included very personnel stories that nobody previously knew about. Instead, you really only get that from her talking about Grigor and Sasha (which was only 1 chapter), and a couple of references to Kournikova's clothes, Kirilenko getting her to shoplift. Overall very little memorable here. I was disappointed. This was more of a book about "Maria's professional tennis journey", whereas I was hoping it would be include more personal, funny unique stories about Maria's day to day life on tour and her adventures. A gossipy or opinionated book would have been way more entertaining.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Finished the book and agreed that it was not entirely that memorable. Her stories were pretty well-known by now and this book just compiled everything together. She did bitch about a few other players which was interesting but it consists of a lot of information that we already knew.

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
Finished the book today. Overall it was boring to me. Wouldn't read it again. I was hoping that it would have been a book that included very personnel stories that nobody previously knew about. Instead, you really only get that from her talking about Grigor and Sasha (which was only 1 chapter), and a couple of references to Kournikova's clothes, Kirilenko getting her to shoplift. Overall very little memorable here. I was disappointed. This was more of a book about "Maria's professional tennis journey", whereas I was hoping it would be include more personal, funny unique stories about Maria's day to day life on tour and her adventures. A gossipy or opinionated book would have been way more entertaining.
You don't even like Maria so no idea what you're doing in this forum. :lol:

But thanks for spending coins on the book regardless. :p

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
You don't even like Maria so no idea what you're doing in this forum. :lol:

But thanks for spending coins on the book regardless. :p
I downloaded it for free. So no money spent it on it. And I don't have an opinion either way on Maria. Simply giving my book review.

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
Finished the book and agreed that it was not entirely that memorable. Her stories were pretty well-known by now and this book just compiled everything together. She did bitch about a few other players which was interesting but it consists of a lot of information that we already knew.
Even the bitching was pretty tame...I think the worst she gossiped about was Petrova "giving her lazer beam eyes" and maybe a few others bitching that she was getting all the endorsements. Also way too many mentions of Serena. I don't like Serena. So why bring her up in your book? Yeah, you are 2-19. So what.

I guess I was expecting something more personal. This book was mostly just a bland "i'm such a fighter on the court" type of book. I'd rather hear about the type of trouble she and Kirilenko got into. Did she stay out late on tour? Go partying? But none of that.

The most heartfelt thing, or at least personal thing, was her quoting Grigor after they got done with a phone and Grigor called her back like a minute later and said "Can we talk a few more minutes? I missed hearing your voice". That part was sweet. But then Maria basically dragged him as a player afterwards :lol:

Maria is way too much of a corporate creation to say anything too controversial so that is why her book was bland for my tastes.

·
-Team Yastremska-
3,210 Posts
Well thanks for spending your time reading the entirety of the book. :kiss:
I'm not completely sure of this to be honest. :lol:
Fresh read experience and then call Petrova name (laser beam eyes) instead of Dementieva ?? :rolleyes:
With this care it's not a surprising conclusion of the book (just useless) :lol:

Most (hardcore) Mashafans will enjoy this great book ;)

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
The gist of the story was Maria shared the same masseuse as the mother of a player, and the masseuse told Maria that the mother was upset Maria was getting all the endorsements. That was quite tame as far as "shading" other players. And yes, it was a fresh read and it was so memorable I forgot certain names...:spit: Makes my point about the book.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts