Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just in the thread about double-handed forehands and it got me thinking. do any pro players that are right handed play with for example a double-handed backhand instead of a forehand (a lefty two-handed backhand but on the forehand side)? or vice versa. maybe someone plays with a double-handed forehand on each side or a double- handed backhand on each side. i sometimes mess around with these shots, i'm right handed but i have found that playing with a double-handed lefty backhand can be quite comfortable.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Elna Reinach, thats the one! :wavey:

Interesting to watch, but you always wanted to shout "Just TWAT the ball, Elna!!"

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Doesn't Monica effectively play with a two-handed forehand both sides, cos she doesn't change her grip unlike most two-handed players...or am I just :confused: ...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
controlfreak said:
Koulikovskaya
Seles
Sluiter
Gambill
...and many more...

koulikovskaya has two single handed forehands. but the others aren't really unorthodox they jsut play a two-handed forehand and a two-handed backhanded. i mean something like a right-handed player using a left-handed two-handed backhand. or things like that.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Willow said:
Doesn't Monica effectively play with a two-handed forehand both sides, cos she doesn't change her grip unlike most two-handed players...or am I just :confused: ...

if she doesn't change her grip then she has a forehand and a backhand.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm saying do any players have two-handed backhands on the forehand side. basically it would mean on one side they are playing left handed and on the other side they are playing right handed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Gowza said:
i was just in the thread about double-handed forehands and it got me thinking. do any pro players that are right handed play with for example a double-handed backhand instead of a forehand (a lefty two-handed backhand but on the forehand side)? or vice versa. maybe someone plays with a double-handed forehand on each side or a double- handed backhand on each side. i sometimes mess around with these shots, i'm right handed but i have found that playing with a double-handed lefty backhand can be quite comfortable.
I know what you mean- not sure if any pro plays with but sometimes i do switch the single forhand into a left handed persons double backhand towards the end of the match when i get tight- feels more solid and i can gurantee it will go over the net...Really hard to hit it on the run but i can produce a really hard falt shot when in position...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
at least someone understands me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Huh? How can anyone play a backhand on their forehand side? I think I know basically what you mean, but you worded it incorrectly. You should ask if anybody hits a two-handed backhand or a two-handed forehand with their arms switched around from the normal position. And the answer would be yes, as both Jan-Michael Gambill and Maria Antonia Sanchez Lorenzo do it... I'm just not sure whether they do it on their forehand side or their backhand side.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I remember watching a match ( i think at the usopen?) it was monica vs. another player...this player had two forehands...

she would play a regular forehand with her right hand...and then play another forehand with her left hand (all one handed) I was like
:eek:

Does anyone know who that may be?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
mexicotrip said:
I remember watching a match ( i think at the usopen?) it was monica vs. another player...this player had two forehands...

she would play a regular forehand with her right hand...and then play another forehand with her left hand (all one handed) I was like

That's what Koulikovskaya does, but I think she's left-handed...have a look at this... http://www.mfwweb.com/tennis/SS02/ ...it would be surprising if there were two playes that do that... :)

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Willow said:
(ARE YOU OUT THERE HINGIS-SELES?)- No, Monica is a natural lefty who plays with a two-handed backhand, and she doesn't change her hands on the racquet, however, she does rotate the racquet quite a bit in her hands to get a semi-western on both shots. Most people find it very difficult to master unless they start doing this at a very early age, because it gives you something else to think about while you're running for the ball (adjusting racquet face trajectory). That's what makes Monica's style of play so incredible- she has the hand-eye coordination to make those tiny adjustments quicker than most people who play tennis!

Technically, I guess you could say Monica hits a reverse two-handed backhand on the forehand side!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
mexicotrip said:

That was Koulikovskaya. I heard she also asked for Monica's autograph after the match :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts