Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another off-season boredom thread, but what the hell. I was thinking about upsets that were significant but underrated or forgotten for some reason. In recent years, there have been a few IMO:

Jankovic beating Kvitova in the third round of Wimbledon 2015. Kvitova was the defending champion and was up a set and 4-2 in the second set. Jankovic was obviously past her prime here and a step and a half slower but managed to pull out the win. It was shocking for me considering Jankovic's somewhat average record at Wimbledon and her lack of form coming into the event. That said, it was the second time Jankovic dethroned a Wimbledon champion in the third round of Wimbledon (Venus, 2006).

Schett def Venus in the first round of the French Open 2001. A similar story to the first match, Schett was past her prime and the overwhelming underdog. Venus had won Hamburg coming into the event and had won 2 of the last 3 majors. Was only Venus's second loss in the first round of a Slam and (if i am correct) lost the chance to potentially become world number 1 had she gone deeper in the tournament.

Pierce def Sharapova in the third round of the USO 2004. Although Sharapova was in a mini post-Wimbledom slump. this was still quite a big upset for me. Between 2001-2004, Pierce was seen as the old veteran journeywoman who wasn't really expected to have big slam results anymore. However, she played the kind of tennis here that set the tone for her resurgence in 2005.

There's probably tons of better ones, so feel free to contribute.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Wimbledon 2001. Martina Hingis was the world #1 and top seed, was having a very good year, although not a great year by her standards (hadn't won a slam). Three titles, three finals (including the Australian Open and Charleston), semifinals at the French Open, Berlin, Rome, Miami, and Indian Wells, and then.....loses 4-6, 2-6 to Virginia Ruano Pascual in the first round.

It was the only tournament all year where she didn't reach the QF, her two QF losses that year were to ASV in Amelia Island and Dementieva in Moscow, and her only losses were to Davenport, Capriati, Venus, Serena, Seles, Mauresmo, and Clijsters.

We always remember the 1999 Jelena Dokic victory over Hingis in the first round, but this was arguably more shocking.

·
30,861 Posts
As a big JJ fan i remember watching that match and after the win thinking this is the last time she will produce a win or this level, the last time she will be relevant at a slam.

Not far from true, in that sense it's definately not forgotten for me, but i would say most people have no recolection of this upset.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wimbledon 2001. Martina Hingis was the world #1 and top seed, was having a very good year, although not a great year by her standards (hadn't won a slam). Three titles, three finals (including the Australian Open and Charleston), semifinals at the French Open, Berlin, Rome, Miami, and Indian Wells, and then.....loses 4-6, 2-6 to Virginia Ruano Pascual in the first round.
I remember this. Didn't Hingis have a back injury that Wimbledon though? I remember reading at the time that she said she could only play from a standing position and couldn't twist or bend. But yes, a shocking result indeed.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I remember this. Didn't Hingis have a back injury that Wimbledon though? I remember reading at the time that she said she could only play from a standing position and couldn't twist or bend. But yes, a shocking result indeed.
Yep: Wimble-done: Top seed Hingis falls in first round

She even gave an Andreescu-at-the-YEC-against-Pliskova caliber quote afterwards:

"I knew I had a chance against Virginia. I mean, if I thought I had to play some other player, like I said, I wouldn't even have come here."

·
Milk and honey
3,526 Posts
Yep: Wimble-done: Top seed Hingis falls in first round

She even gave an Andreescu-at-the-YEC-against-Pliskova caliber quote afterwards:

"I knew I had a chance against Virginia. I mean, if I thought I had to play some other player, like I said, I wouldn't even have come here."
Oh Legend, forever the Queen of shade 😢💕

Trying to think of some forgotten upsets, a lot of the ones that come to mind I'm sure are easily remembered by most here. Perhaps Mauresmo-Safarova at the AO R4 in 2007? Safarova was already pretty known at the time but had a patchy end to 2006, and her run was relatively soft to make the fourth round, as was Mauresmo's. Yes, she had pushed Serena the week beforehand in Hobart but that was a rusty Serena that lost to Bammer in the next round, before famously working her way into absolute peak form by the end of the event.

It was the first loss that indicated a true loss of form for Amelie and after a strong February to bounce back, she got injured and never really recovered to a top level after the loss to Vaidisova in the fourth round of that year's Wimbledon. I can't find footage from the upset in question unfortunately, but I have found the following match of Safarova, which, funnily enough was also a loss to Vaidisova. Nicole was really peaking for much of this match and her form at the time was fantastic.

Reactions: WilliamsOhanian

·
Registered
31,260 Posts
Melanie Gloria def. Daniela Hantuchova (Quebec City, 2004).

Iveta Benesova knocked Mary Pierce off the Australian Open in 2006. Pierce had reached two Slam finals as well as the YEC final in 2005.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Melanie Gloria def. Daniela Hantuchova (Quebec City, 2004).

Iveta Benesova knocked Mary Pierce off the Australian Open in 2006. Pierce had reached two Slam finals as well as the YEC final in 2005.
I think we remember Melanie Gloria because that's a shocking loss for Hantuchova. Gloria was struggling to win matches at ITF 10ks before hand, and both before and after that tournament would never again win a WTA main draw match.

Good call on Benesova. Good old Mary Pierce, that 2005 season was something else.

·
Milk and honey
3,526 Posts
I think we remember Melanie Gloria because that's a shocking loss for Hantuchova. Gloria was struggling to win matches at ITF 10ks before hand, and both before and after that tournament would never again win a WTA main draw match.

Good call on Benesova. Good old Mary Pierce, that 2005 season was something else.
If only those finals had been better 😔

My favourite part about Pierce's 2005 resurgence was not her two slam final runs, but her Wimbledon quarterfinal run in which she gave Venus an almighty scare in set 2, we all remember that tiebreak in particular which is one of the greatest tiebreaks ever. Pierce was the better player in set 2 - would she have won the match had it gone to 3? Unlikely. That said, Pierce's form that year was so good that she even gave prime Venus on grass a real fight out there which outperformed expectations. The shotmaking from both in set 2 was just 🤤

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think people do not remember Laura Robsons (ranked 89) win over two times defendng US Open champion Kim Clijsters in the 2nd round of the Open in 2012. Narrowly, 76 76.

Ok, Kim was about to retire for a second time and her motivation might not have been at the absolute top and Laura had so much potential and was such a good ball striker.

It still was a big surprise, though it did not make the biggest head lines. Kim has just not that kind of personality to make mega big headlines, I guess.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If only those finals had been better 😔

My favourite part about Pierce's 2005 resurgence was not her two slam final runs, but her Wimbledon quarterfinal run in which she gave Venus an almighty scare in set 2, we all remember that tiebreak in particular which is one of the greatest tiebreaks ever. Pierce was the better player in set 2 - would she have won the match had it gone to 3? Unlikely. That said, Pierce's form that year was so good that she even gave prime Venus on grass a real fight out there which outperformed expectations. The shotmaking from both in set 2 was just 🤤
Agreed, although I'd say the YEC final was the best match of the year, and by a good distance.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Pierce 2005 is one of the greatest crazy, out of nowhere runs in tennis. Before Roland Garros she had reached one Quarter Final all year and then all of a sudden she was a top 5 player again, with two titles, three significant finals and that Wimbledon QF. You could argue it was the most consistent run of her career.

I was thinking the other day about great nearly runs, where a player you love doesn't quite win a big tournament but puts in a such a good unexpected performance that the loss doesn't matter too much. Pierce's RG run is that for me, out of nowhere, big wins, drama and she and the crowd clearly loved it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
For me it will always be Katerina Studenikova beating Monica Seles at Wimbledon 1996. I had not even heard that name before at that time, and Seles was still dominating in her return year. The result was something like 7:5 5:7 6:4, making it even more shocking to me that she would still win, even after losing such a tight second set. This was the first time ever I saw a vulnerability from Seles. To this day it is still the biggest upset to me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Frazier def Pierce At US open
Vivi def Hingis at Wimby
Arantxa def Graf at French 89
Coetzer def Graf at Oz Open and French 97
Same day in Oz- over 100 degrees, Applemans def Martínez coming back from like 1/5 down in 3rd and Pierce upset Huber
The day before Van roost (Monami) def Sánchez
Mauresmo def Davenport Oz 99 ( I watched her save match pints against moriaru in end 1)
Zvereva finally beats Seles, Graf at Wimby 98
Werdel def sabatini at Oz Open
Pierce destroys Graf 94 French
MCNeil def Graf 94 Wimby 1st rnd
garrison finally beats Martina at 88 uS
raffi Reggi def Evert 88 Olympics
puig def keener 2016 Olympics

·
Milk and honey
3,526 Posts
I think people do not remember Laura Robsons (ranked 89) win over two times defendng US Open champion Kim Clijsters in the 2nd round of the Open in 2012. Narrowly, 76 76.

Ok, Kim was about to retire for a second time and her motivation might not have been at the absolute top and Laura had so much potential and was such a good ball striker.

It still was a big surprise, though it did not make the biggest head lines. Kim has just not that kind of personality to make mega big headlines, I guess.
Yup. Such a great match by Laura and played two really clutch tiebreaks. I remember a laser-like forehand down the line, right on both lines in the corner near the end of the match which is one of the greatest forehands I’ve ever seen, especially to hit it from that angle and at that velocity.

She followed it up with the win over Li Na as well as other top ten scalps like Radwanska, Kvitova and Kirilenko the next year. Broke into the top 30 at 19, then the wrist started bothering her during the summer and by early next season it was clearly she needed surgery. The rest is history as she’s now 26 and has yet to return to an elite level. Breaks my heart honestly, given after Maria, Laura was the future for me and was by far my most favourite player to watch on the women’s tour.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yup. Such a great match by Laura and played two really clutch tiebreaks. I remember a laser-like forehand down the line, right on both lines in the corner near the end of the match which is one of the greatest forehands I’ve ever seen, especially to hit it from that angle and at that velocity.

She followed it up with the win over Li Na as well as other top ten scalps like Radwanska, Kvitova and Kirilenko the next year. Broke into the top 30 at 19, then the wrist started bothering her during the summer and by early next season it was clearly she needed surgery. The rest is history as she’s now 26 and has yet to return to an elite level. Breaks my heart honestly, given after Maria, Laura was the future for me and was by far my most favourite player to watch on the women’s tour.
I like Laura a lot, well her game. Dobt know much about her. Which makes this loss not so bad to me.

Another upset that bothered me for a bit longer but in the end, what can I say, was the RG match Kim lost against Arantxa Rus. But at least Kim won one of the most crazy points ever played with the ping pong ping on the top of the net back and forth.

:)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Pierce 2005 is one of the greatest crazy, out of nowhere runs in tennis. Before Roland Garros she had reached one Quarter Final all year and then all of a sudden she was a top 5 player again, with two titles, three significant finals and that Wimbledon QF. You could argue it was the most consistent run of her career.

I was thinking the other day about great nearly runs, where a player you love doesn't quite win a big tournament but puts in a such a good unexpected performance that the loss doesn't matter too much. Pierce's RG run is that for me, out of nowhere, big wins, drama and she and the crowd clearly loved it.
Mine would have been Venus’s and Lucic’s AO ‘17 run. That semifinal against Vandeweghe and that quarterfinal against Pliskova were everything.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
For underrated upsets? I’d say Kateryna Bondarenko besting Na Li at the 2010 US Open. More recent ones I’d say Davis besting Kerber at Wimbledon last year has already been underrated due to that slam being Coco and Simonamania. No matter how bad Kerber was last year, she was still the defending champion and grass is usually the one surface where she can be depended on to pick herself somewhat back up and not lose to a non dangerous opponent. Davis was not that at all going into the match.

·
Registered
52,411 Posts
"journeywoman" Sonya Jeyaseelan 's three top 10 wins over Venus in Amelia Island, Tauziat at AO and Martinez at Wimbledon in 99/2000
when you compare those results to the rest of her career ..it's really night and day ..

if anyone has videos of those ..please share ;)

the Appelmans/Martinez upset mentionned before was 26 75 61 . Conchita was possibly up 62 41 or something, but not 5/1 in the third set
;)
my beloved Conchita was upset so many times at Slams .... but her losses to locals Stosur at AO and Sam Smith at Wimbledon I considered really bad losses

1 - 20 of 136 Posts