Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
All the USTA had to say was "You fine us and we won't play Fed Cup again" so the ITF just melted under that intense heat.:rolleyes: Nobody messes with the good ole USA.:eek:

·
Registered
25,077 Posts
I'm wondering if people who even debate this "fining" issue take into the consideration that some of the US players, the USTA, and Billie Jean King may have been terrified from the 9/11 incident. I would like to honestly believe that any nation would have been excused in lieu of such a terrible incident.

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
I think the fines were ridiculous considering the tragedy that just took place. It was not like a fire happened to the world trade center. That was a major threat to our National Security. At the time there was alot of anti-american views going on. If the players don't want to play a tournament under the american flag can you blame them.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I hope everyone defending the US team withdrawal is also 100% behind Kimberly Po-Messerli here.
Maybe the top players didn't want to play under the US flag after 9-11 - fair enough. But others - Meghann Shaughnessy, Monica Seles, Chanda Rubin - wanted to play Fed Cup, and they should have been given the chance.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Too true:rolleyes:

anyone else and there would have been a fine!

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Billie Jean King wasn't terrified of anything - Billie Jean King was PISSED at the decision which was made with no input from the players or coaches.

Look, any player who felt the need to stay home after September 11, either because of safety concerns or because they just wanted to stick close to home, has my full and unconditional support as well as my respect. But given that most of the top players had indicated they wouldn't be playing in Madrid before 9/11, and that not even the players who were quoted as supporting the decision gave any indication they were consulted BEFORE it was made, I think the USTA bailed because they couldn't get the top names to go and used 9/11 as an excuse. Which is reprehensible, imo.

(Intererstingly, while they're not being fined, it seems the USTA is "voluntarily" coughing up money to reimburse te ITF and the tournament organizers for expenses resulting from the withdrawl. A rose by any other name...)

·
Registered
25,077 Posts
First of all, saying that other nations would have been fined might be a correct one, but I honestly don't think that even the ITF or whatever governing body who is in charge of fines would have turned their backs on a nation whose tragedy was displayed in gruesome details for months. This wasn't just some typical firecracker set off in a garage. WE SAW THE TRAGEDY AS IT HAPPENED, OVER AND OVER!!!!!

Secondly, I don't understand how people could even suggest that the USTA was afraid of facing the other teams because of the lack of top names. Monica seems rabid about FedCup participation and will probably end up being a captain one day, and Shaughnessy is no slouch either. It would have been a shame for the top four women US tennis players to miss the FED CuP, but out of the top four at that time(LD, Venus, Serena, and JENCap,) only JenCap would have been the sure clay win. Certainly that wouldn't have been the reason to cancel the trip. If that were the case, I'm sure some of the Davis Cup ties would have been cancelled a long time ago.

Belgium may have won the Fed Cup, regardless of the participation by the US. However, to call to question the motives of a nation that had suffered the most tragic terrorist attack in history only diminshes this historical feat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally think it is horrible that they got out of a fine. Yes the fine wouldn't probably be match compared to how much money they get a year but nobody should be above simple rules like that and especially not a country like America....

·
Registered
25,077 Posts
. ... yeah, forget the fear of an attack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Billie Jean King wasn't terrified of anything - Billie Jean King was PISSED at the decision which was made with no input from the players or coaches.

Look, any player who felt the need to stay home after September 11, either because of safety concerns or because they just wanted to stick close to home, has my full and unconditional support as well as my respect. But given that most of the top players had indicated they wouldn't be playing in Madrid before 9/11, and that not even the players who were quoted as supporting the decision gave any indication they were consulted BEFORE it was made, I think the USTA bailed because they couldn't get the top names to go and used 9/11 as an excuse. Which is reprehensible, imo.

(Intererstingly, while they're not being fined, it seems the USTA is "voluntarily" coughing up money to reimburse te ITF and the tournament organizers for expenses resulting from the withdrawl. A rose by any other name...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts