Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing this comment. Just for interest some numbers....

Since the start of the Open Era for men there have been the following with only one slam title

Gimeno, Orantes, Edmondson, Panatta, Tanner, Gerulaitis, Teacher, Noah, Cash, Chang, Gomez, Stich, Muster, Krajicek, Korda, Moya, Ivanisevic, TJohansson, ACosta, Ferrero, Roddick, Gaudio, Del Potro, Cilic, Thiem, Medvedev

26 in total.

For the women we have the following

Sue Barker, Mima Jaušovec, Barbara Jordan, Chris O'Neil, Kerry Melville Reid, Virginia Ruzici, Iva Majoli, Conchita Martínez, Jana Novotná, Gabriela Sabatini, Anastasia Myskina, Ana Ivanovic, Francesca Schiavone, Samantha Stosur, Marion Bartoli, Flavia Pennetta, Jeļena Ostapenko, Sloane Stephens, Caroline Wozniacki, Bianca Andreescu, Sofia Kenin, Iga Świątek, Barbora Krejcikova, Emma Raducanu.

24 in total.

Looking at the lists I would say there is more chance of some of the recent women leaving the list than the recent men.

So which is more ‘typical , random - anyone can win’ - the men or the women?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He (or she) is fan of Sabalenka, Jabeur and Iga iirc.
And Sakkari. I like a hard worker. But Iga has the nicest smile :)

However, my main point is show that over a long period there is not much difference between the men's game and the women's in having players who only win one slam. These things come in waves. So what is 'typical' now was not always typical, and probably will change again. We just don't know when.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
And Sakkari. I like a hard worker. But Iga has the nicest smile :)

However, my main point is show that over a long period there is not much difference between the men's game and the women's in having players who only win one slam. These things come in waves. So what is 'typical' now was not always typical, and probably will change again. We just don't know when.
Yeah that's what i worte in my first post. Most people focus on current situation only.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Strong ATP image being much more consistent compared to WTA is solely a result of having 3 GOAT contenders (the so called BIG3) for the last 15-20 years. But this era is just coming to its end. In 2-3 years from now it's very likely ATP will be as "random" or as "consistent" as WTA and there's a good chance in the next wave it's WTA that becomes more predictable.

Reactions: networthy

·
Banned
8,416 Posts
In ATP the nr 1 and 2 played the final from a GS and that was with 2 of the big 3 missing

in WTA the then nr 150 and 80 played the final

Thats say enough about the consistency in WTA or in ATP

in WTA it’s totally random. Everyone can win from everyone

in ATP we see consistency. Also without the big 3, then will step up other top 10 players. In ATP you will never see the mess we see in WTA all the time. Its unthinkable that a nobody ranked out of top 150 can win a big title. Not with and not without the big 3

if Djoko is not winning then a other top ten player is winning but never a nobody

Its hard but its the true

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
(...)

Looking at the lists I would say there is more chance of some of the recent women leaving the list than the recent men.
Except you forgot that there is also more chance of more women remaining in your list than that one nextgen guy. There's just too many of the women out there — even half of those are unlikely to win more because, yes opportunities will come to them in the future but then newer and newer one-slammers will also keep popping up as well. This post 2017 wta streak (lemme call it Ostapenkoism in honor of the first one) will continue until one, two, maximum four or so girls rise up among them and shut the door on everyone else — start monopolizing the majors and therefore automatically narrow the opportunities for others. That's what happened in the past.

·
La nuit je mens
91,525 Posts
Strong ATP image being much more consistent compared to WTA is solely a result of having 3 GOAT contenders (the so called BIG3) for the last 15-20 years. But this era is just coming to its end. In 2-3 years from now it's very likely ATP will be as "random" or as "consistent" as WTA and there's a good chance in the next wave it's WTA that becomes more predictable.
Yeah no. ATP already have an established group of 10 players outside the big 3 that are regularly reaching the QFs and so and winning things. You don't see out of the blue players outside the top 30 doing random runs as often (if at all). They do have top players that play well and win all year long.
The WTA does not.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Leaving aside comparisons with the ATP, you cannot tell me you wouldn’t want your faves to be more consistent. The stories in sport are easier to follow and more exciting when the cast of characters is more stable. The big titles are also more meaningful when the highly ranked players are the ones who win them with much more regularity.

But the constant moaning on TF about weak eras and worst seasons ever is so futile and tiresome! What do these folks find so satisfying about complaining all the time? It’s in everyone’s power to adjust their expectations according to the reality of WTA inconsistency. Let yourself be pleasantly surprised if some players do eventually become consistent winners, but don’t hold your breath for it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
IW is a WTA1000 event, but no player develops their game for these slow HC conditions, its not that important.

Players peak for slams and develop a game for either fast hard court (USO and AO), low bounce grass or slow clay. Thats how they are remembered, called a champion and where all the money and sponsorship is.

This IW is out of place this year, but its not even in a build up to anything, players are winding down end of year and then preparing for fast AO open in the heat.

I dont know how players are supposed to be consistent in IW as its like a slow clay court at end of the HC swiing ?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts