Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would have posted this in the LGBT thread but it involves more that LGBT.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Amnesty International on Wednesday slammed plans by Brunei to implement what the rights group called “vicious” Islamic criminal laws such as stoning to death for gay sex and amputation for theft.

Amnesty said in a statement that the new penalties, which also apply to children, are provided for in new sections under Brunei’s Sharia Penal Code and will come into effect April 3. The legal changes were announced in a discreet notice on the attorney general’s website, it said.

“To legalize such cruel and inhuman penalties is appalling of itself,” said Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Brunei researcher at Amnesty International. She said some of the potential offenses “should not even be deemed crimes at all, including consensual sex between adults of the same gender.”

“Brunei must immediately halt its plans to implement these vicious punishments and revise its penal code in compliance with its human rights obligations,” Chhoa-Howard said. “The international community must urgently condemn Brunei’s move to put these cruel penalties into practice.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/03/28/brunei-laws-call-stoning-gay-sex-amputation-theft/3297264002/

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Boycott these hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills
Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Plaza Athenee, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome
Hotel Principe di Savoia, Mi

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
Boycotting the hotel wont help and i find it hypocrisy.

How about all thise countries that murder gays and have strict laws if two men/woman caught having sex?

·
Registered
27,383 Posts
Re: “It won’t help”
Well, better boycott than doing nothing. When George Clooney or other rich and famous people do it, it raises awareness about the topic and put it front on the news.

I don’t care about their second intentions. :shrug: Many good actions are led by PR/selfish reasons and they are still good and helpful, like when celebrities make donations after big natural disasters and they make everyone know about it.

·
Registered
16,447 Posts
They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudis are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudies are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei
So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?

·
Registered
29,816 Posts
So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?
This is the same argument defenders of Israel use when talking about the BDS movement. Because Israel is not the only country that abuses human rights, they think that allows them to dismiss the boycott as unfair (and anti-semitic).

So it's not surprising to see this poster write what they wrote about this case...

·
63,562 Posts
Do people actually know where Brunei is?:eek:h:
Yes, they're your neighbours ;)

Brunei is closer to Australia than it is to Saudi Arabia.

Back to the topic, so if a kid kidnaps something and told everyone it was some other child - does this means they will amputee the other child? :facepalm: I find this ridiculous!

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
So why the double standard? Anyone can explaine?

I didn't see George leading a protest against Saudi or the gays in Russia

Fake Hollywood

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

Fake Hollywood

Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more
Yes i know i was waiting for someone to write the truth.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

Fake Hollywood
I don't agree with the fact that no one in the mainstream media talks about the same death penalty in Saudi Arabia. It isn't a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is ignored because of the military and economic relationship that western countries have with them.
I also don't care about this boycott because this won't have any real impact.

But, I still don't see why this new law in Brunei should be ignored, just because Saudi Arabia is not getting any boycott for the same thing. I don't think gays in Brunei, that will probably die with this new law, will say "Oh Saudi Arabia has the same law and no one cares, so this is okay..."

·
Registered
57,319 Posts
I don't agree with the fact that no one in the mainstream media talks about the same death penalty in Saudi Arabia. It isn't a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is ignored because of the military and economic relationship that western countries have with them.
I also don't care about this boycott because this won't have any real impact.

But, I still don't see why this new law in Brunei should be ignored, just because Saudi Arabia is not getting any boycott for the same thing. I don't think gays in Brunei, that will probably die with this new law, will say "Oh Saudi Arabia has the same law and no one cares, so this is okay..."
I never said it should be ignored i said why brunei is so different then the rest of the countries that behave like her? I said its a double standards

·
Registered
29,816 Posts
I never said it should be ignored i said why brunei is so different then the rest of the countries that behave like her? I said its a double standards
Because it's a brand new law. It will make things worse than they were before. They are going backwards.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brunei has been moving toward full implementation of Sharia law since 2014. They are basing the punishments on the Koran and the hadiths.

The hadith that prescribes death for homosexual acts is "Ikrima reported on the authority of Ibn Abbas that God’s messenger [Muhammad] said: ‘If you find anyone doing as Lot’s people did, kill the one who does it and the one to whom it is done.’" (Recorded in Mishkat al-Masabih, trans. James Robson, vol. 2, p. 763, Prescribed Punishments).

It's interesting to hear this being reported as "extreme interpretation" of Islam. Since most would agree that Islam is built on the twin foundations of the Koran and the hadiths, they are simply following what Muhammed said to do.

The same applies to the other portions of this law.

·
Art & Futures
20,374 Posts
Why do people follow tenets from thousands of years ago at the detriment of other people's well-being :smash:

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,540 Posts
I wonder how many of people talking outrage about this can even locate Brunei on the map :lol: It's one of the last absolute monarchies in the world so obviously they don't give a fuck what some Western liberals think about them :haha:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts