Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without a doubt, Richard and Oracene Williams are clearly two of the greatest tennis coaches of all time. :)

Many coaches have produced one Grand Slam champion, but even that blow hard Boletteri has not done a cradle to trophy development of two Grand Slam champs.

To develop one GS champ could be a fluke, but two demonstrates knowldge and skill. This was feat was accomplished on nearly a zero budget without the help of the USTA, as well. Great Britian has poured millions of dollars into the development of Henman and still no Wimbey title to show for the money.

Many GS champs have siblings who played competitive tennis, but none of their reletives won a GS championship.
And just forget about any of them ever playing in a GS final as VENUS and SERENA did at the 2001 U.S. Open final.

Congrats to Richard and Oracene.
And a "Let's get the No.2 Spot!" cheer to little sis, SERENA!.
:wavey:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
"Boletteri has not done a cradle to trophy development of two Grand Slam champs. "

Well he did play a hand in the early training of Mary Pierce, Monica Seles, Andre Agassi, and Jim Courier to name a few ;)

However, yes, Richard and Oracene has obivously done something right :)

Thought for a second there I was expecting you to talk about Brad Gilbert, and I was confused as to who the other one was ;)

·
Premium Member
27,121 Posts
I'm in such a good mood today :)

Tee Rexx :), go on admit you only posted that to get the Great Britain bit in - I won't tell anyone :p.

Not that I actually disagree with that comment ;) about Henman or the British tennis system.

Congratulations to Oracene :), but not Richard because I don't like him :p .

And I would cheer Serena to no.2 but then where would Venus go :confused: - Monica is going to be no.1 after all ;)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pierce, Seles and Courier were already top juniors when Nick got his fangs into them for the short period that he had them. Under 2 years, I believe.

Andre came into Nicks fold around 8 or 9, but made his biggest advancements after he coaches other than Nick.

Hey, if Richard can develop two Grand slam champs on a zero budget, then an entire country should be able to develop at least one GS title holder. :eek: :p

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Are you poking fun at Canadian tennis Tee?

Perhaps if the climate up here was warmer, then it we would have better training facilities for players.

In which case, Greg Rusedski wouldn't have had to take a hike on us, and flee to Brittian :p - that was over money, was it not?

Besides - at very least we have a world class doubles pair that won gold in Syndey, and thats more than enough for me.

Btw - with ten times as many people living there - wouldn't you think the US could come up with a team that could beat us in hockey? :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
:p :p :p
hahaha Becca --- you're trying to get our goats but I'm not falling for it... just 'cause I like you.

mmm hmmmm ten times the population and ten times the ice.. so it's a natural Canada has better hockey players. Didn't you invent the game up there... or was that on the steppes of Siberia? ;) :p

Now let's see... how 'bout, oh, the total medal count this Olympics? I'm pretty sure we whipped Canada's a**. Oh yeah, and let's see, gold in Speed skating, Women's figure skating, Bobsled (isn't that an event that features ice?), half-pipe, .. should I go on? and let's not even talk Summer Olympics :p

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
c2AKAcmglenn - You have ten times as many more people, and WAY more funding for your athletes in the USA.

If you guys didn't do better than us in the total medal tally's for the Olympics, it'd be pitiful :p

Lets be honest - your just burning cause little old Germany kicked your butts over all :D

I won't even touch on the home country advantage you guys toke fully for granted *cough* :D

This was Canada's best winter Olympics ever - nothing can take away from that. Not even your comments :D

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
btw - Speed skating was a bad example lmao ;) We managed to remian standing in the team replay competitions :D and win gold in both.And how about Catriona Le May Doan :p

Figure skating? We got our gold there, and were 2 seconds from a medal in ice dancing.

Besides - hockey is what we care most about up here. So you can poke fun at all our other sports all you please- we got what we wanted most :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
umm hmmm, hockey, not women's figure skating? It is just the most watched event the world over!! I was thinking of Miss Sarah Hughes, gold medal winner who landed SEVEN triples, including two double-triples!

And Caty- who? I was thinking Apolo Ohno, thanks, gold and silver. :D :D

and no, it doesn't bother me that Germany won more golds... those people birth their babies on ice. ;)

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Tennis champs are rare beings, but I'd argue it's EASIER to train a champ "from the cradle". It's a piece of clay you can mold from the start. Once they hit an academy habits are already formed.

Richard(not Oracene) deserves credit as "coach", don't you think Tee? ;) I've never seen any indication Oracene is more than a partner, companion, and emotional anchor. If she's a "coach", so were the mom's of Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, etc.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
c2AKAcmglenn - ask any Canadian what they would rather - sweep womens figure skating, or win the gold medal in hockey.

I think I can tell you what 99% would say.

You'd have to live here to truly understand it I think.

If Canada failed to medal in any other event, but won the GOld in hockey - most Canadian would still be totally content and consider it a succesful Olympics.

btw- Le May Doan has now won 18 or her last 19 races in the 500m distance. She holds the world record, and Olympic record in the event, as well as having skated the 8 fastest times ever in the event.
Take that Apollo :p

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Becca - This is a tennis thread, not figure skating.
Now, don't start crying for me to give a gold medal to be quiet either. :eek: :p
*Tee duck miss thrown Canadian snowballs*

Rollo - If it was easier to train palyer cradle to trophy, England, China and even Canada would have a couple of GS champs in the current rankings. :eek: :p

*Tee ducks successfully again* :wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
How about Harold Solomon, he did so much to women tennis.
Anyone has his record of achievement apart from his help for Jennifer of course.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Becca after that little pip at Great Britain

heres what i have to say

GREAT BRITAN 6 CANADA 5!

ring any bells!:eek: :rolleyes:

Oh i'm such a bitch!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
maybe the picture will give you a clue!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I no its not healthy any more!:eek:

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
"If it was easier to train palyer cradle to trophy, England, China and even Canada would have a couple of GS champs in the current rankings."

How do you figure that TEE? National associations(which run things more or less in those 3 nations you mentioned) don't get them from cradle to trophy. Look at ALL the current women greats-from Seles to the sisters, from Hingis and Graf to Capriati, all had tennis chosen for them by parents who backed them 100%, which associations rarely do.

I take nothing away from ANY of these parents, because they are the magic 1% or less that "made it", but while tennis associations often produce good tour players, they rarely produce champs.

:wavey:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rollo - I think you may be on a misread. I am for cradle to trophy training. The associations and Boleteri just about never accomplish this feat and they go through houndreds of thousands of players.

The USTA has never put out a concentrated 5 year program in the Los Angeles area and it is one of the ten largest metropolitan areas in the world.

We lose way too many potential top American tennis players to basketball everyday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts