What a great 2002 and 2003 year for TURKIEY

1- Winner of 2003 Eurovision song contest

2- Miss World 2002 ( Azra Akin )

3- 3rd in FIFA World Soccer Cup in 2002

MERHABA

·
Registered
600 Posts
you forgot this year's Cannes film festival! Turkey won the Best Actor award.

From Yahoo! Movies:

Amateur Turkish Actor Gets Posthumous Cannes Award

Sunday May 25 4:52 PM ET

The makers of Turkish film "Uzak" were visibly moved as they collected a best actor award Sunday for a cast member who died in a car accident the day after learning the film was in the competition.

Mehmet Emin Toprak, the 28-year-old cousin of "Uzak" director Nuri Bilge Ceylan, died in December and was lauded posthumously by the Cannes jury for his sensitive portrayal of a directionless man who knows he is an unwanted guest.

Ceylan was awarded the runner-up Grand Prix for the film he shot in his own apartment using his wife, cousin and best friend, rather than professional actors. Toprak's co-star, Muzaffer Ozdemir, was jointly awarded best actor.

"Both of them acted in all of my films," Ceylan said.

"My cousin was at a film festival in Ankara when I told him we had been selected to come (to Cannes). He was so happy with that knowledge and he -- he just married, he said he would have his honeymoon in Cannes then."

Ozdemir, who was killed the next day while driving home to his village, plays a jobless young man from the countryside who goes to stay with his older cousin, a successful photographer, in his bachelor pad in Istanbul.

A personal and often funny film that shows the walls city dwellers construct around themselves, "Uzak" tracks the lonely lives of the two men and conveys the photographer's annoyance at having his privacy invaded, and his subsequent guilt.

The top prize at Cannes 2003 went to U.S. director Gus Van Sant for his film about high-school violence, "Elephant."
-------------------

Congrats to the Turkish people on a great year. I wish the Turkish goverment would take some steps towards the solution of the Cyprus problem. That would be their biggest success if they did!

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
thanks for sharing this seles beckham.. :) it's great to see turkey being recognized this way. and yes...it's a beautiful country. :)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sue said:
Congrats to the Turkish people on a great year. I wish the Turkish goverment would take some steps towards the solution of the Cyprus problem. That would be their biggest success if they did!
thumbs up! :worship:

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sorry to interop...

Is next year eurovision going to be in Istanbul or Ankara??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts