·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
One of the best matches EVER!

·
Registered
322 Posts
but it was french open
if u want to see what would seles hav been like in 93-96 go and see 1992 wimby final.i'm sure it is also there on youtube

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
RG final 1992 - Indeed one of the greatest matches of all times.:worship::worship::worship:
I can remember it very well. Awesome intensity and full of high class rallies.

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
no, she never would have won wimbledon during those years, perhaps a few other slams but theres' no point going down the coulda, shoulda, woulda route
:tape: Graf fans, too rich. Go speculate on the size of the strap-on Steffi's fucking Andre with.
Let us enjoy the tennis, please.

·
Registered
13,509 Posts
poo poo? not really, it was a great match and monica fully deserved the title, she was the most dominant player, during that time, minus wimbledon.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Well who is to say Monica wouldn't of won Wimbledon in 1994? I mean who thought Graf would have lost 1st Round and Conchita Martinez of all people would have won!?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Let us enjoy the tennis, please.
You want to talk tennis. Let's talk tennis.

Steffi was in a slump from 1990 thru 1992. Steffi talked about it in a presser at the 1994 Lipton Championships. See the excerpt I posted from that presser on the Steffi Graf Admiration Thread.

If you need further verification that Steffi was not playing well, see the BBC broadcast of the 1992 Wimbledon Final, with Virginia Wade commenting. Virginia confirms that Steffi was not playing well in the French Final.

Yet, despite the slump she was in, Steffi still managed to force Monica into a third set and I think she even served for the match.

In Billy Jean King's opinion, Steffi should have won that match. Billy thought that it wasn't so much that Monica had won the match, but that Steffi had lost it. She thought Steffi had allowed Monica to get away too many times with looping or lobbing the ball back from a defensive position. Look at the entire match, not just this portion, and you will see that Billy was right. For the source of Billy's comments, see HBO's coverage of the 1992 Wimbledon Semi Graf vs. Sabatini.

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
no, she never would have won wimbledon during those years, perhaps a few other slams but theres' no point going down the coulda, shoulda, woulda route
You know Jimbo many think of Rafa Nadal to be to Federer what Seles was to Graf. After his first Wimbledon final people thought Rafa wouldn't ever stop Fed, and look what happened 2 attempts later. It is shoulda coulda woulda but Monica made the finals of Wimbledon, she didn't lose first round. Who knows what coulda have been had some Steffi fan not decided to help Graf out.

Monica :worship: :worship: Could have been the GOAT.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
What self-respecting tennis legend goes on a slump for 3 straight years? Just happened to end when Seles was gone did it?

Virginia Wade is hardly a useful example. She will say something one minute then forget what she's even talking about the next.

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
Don't know about who should've won the match..but it struck me how much trouble Monica had in closing the match. Even against a sub-par graf?!

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You want to talk tennis. Let's talk tennis.

Steffi was in a slump from 1990 thru 1992. Steffi talked about it in a presser at the 1994 Lipton Championships. See the excerpt I posted from that presser on the Steffi Graf Admiration Thread.

If you need further verification that Steffi was not playing well, see the BBC broadcast of the 1992 Wimbledon Final, with Virginia Wade commenting. Virginia confirms that Steffi was not playing well in the French Final.

Yet, despite the slump she was in, Steffi still managed to force Monica into a third set and I think she even served for the match.

In Billy Jean King's opinion, Steffi should have won that match. Billy thought that it wasn't so much that Monica had won the match, but that Steffi had lost it. She thought Steffi had allowed Monica to get away too many times with looping or lobbing the ball back from a defensive position. Look at the entire match, not just this portion, and you will see that Billy was right. For the source of Billy's comments, see HBO's coverage of the 1992 Wimbledon Semi Graf vs. Sabatini.
:yawn:

I believe Monica would have won more slams than Graf actually, or at least a tie. She was 4 years younger and had won 8 slams versus 11 of Graf. And 3 of those finals were versus Graf. Also for example, in 1994 Graf won just 1 slam... I never did and never will consider Seles a lesser player than Graf. And I do not consider Graf a better player then Navratilova/Evert.

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Steffi was in a slump from 1990 thru 1992.

Agreed. And the name of the person who was respnosible for that slump starts with "S" and ends with "eles". And after Hamburg 1993 Graf's slump magically disappeared :worship:

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Don't know about who should've won the match..but it struck me how much trouble Monica had in closing the match. Even against a sub-par graf?!

Have you even seen that match? Graf was only sub-par in the first set, her great play when she was down several times in the 3rd was the reason that Seles had trouble closing it out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts