Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0427/1545525.html

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Trevin Dilfer, the 5-year-old son of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Trent Dilfer, died Sunday in California after a 40-day battle with heart disease.

The boy's parents and three sisters were at his bedside at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford University.

"Trevin was a very brave young boy and we are comforted in knowing that as a child of God he has returned to his maker,'' the family said in a statement. "We grieve, but not as those without hope.''

The Dilfers thanked supporters and hospital staff while requesting privacy, and a family spokesman said there would be no additional comment. Team president Bob Whitsitt said the organization was "deeply saddened'' by the news.

Services were pending.

Trent Dilfer played for the Baltimore Ravens when they won the 2000 Super Bowl, joining the Seahawks in August 2001. He missed the second half of last season with a torn Achilles' tendon.

----------

I had heard that he was sick but didn't expect something like this. It is a very sad story. What is it with NFL QBs and their sons? I mean you have Boomer and his son with cystic fibrosis and Jim Kelly whose son has some other disease. Tragic.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
awww :sad:

may his soul rest in peace...

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
That's terribly sad news! :sad: And Tampa Bay Wide Receiver Joe Jurevicious' infant son died this offseason, too. :sad:

It seems as though the Quarterback curse has spread to other postions, too. :(

And one of Dan Marino's sons has Autism.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
not to be disrespectful to this guy or his son, but would we give a flying fuck, or would we have ever even heard of this kid, if he wasn't the son of someone famous? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've met him twice and both times he came off as very down to earth. I may have taken a few shots at his skills at quarterback but truth be told, he is a very solid quarterback and definitely someone who doesn't deserve this. Then again, no one does.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Rtael said:
not to be disrespectful to this guy or his son, but would we give a flying fuck, or would we have ever even heard of this kid, if he wasn't the son of someone famous? :rolleyes:
stupid question.

it doesnt matter how famous a person is... its always heartbreaking when a child dies. would we have heard about it? prolly not. would people still care? yes.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I always liked Trent Dilfer, too. And the way he was villified in Tampa Bay was awful! :mad: It's only sports afterall. But I was glad he got his day in the sun as a winning Super Bowl Quarterback with the Baltimore Ravens even though it came at the expense of the New York Giants, whom I was rooting for. And ironically enough, Joe Jurevicious played on the Giants team against Dilfer's Ravens team.

Rtael, you bring up a very interesting point. This is very sad news whether or not we know someone involved in such a tragic loss. Of course knowing someone famous who has suffered a tragedy is going to affect you more than when it happens to someone you've never heard of. For instance, when Eric Clapton's son tragically fell to his death back in 1991, I was horrified because I was a fan of Eric Clapton. And my knowing of him and being a fan of his probably made me feel a little sadder for him than I would for a complete stranger. In my heart, I am equally sad whether a famous persons or a strangers child dies. But because you know of someone famous, the intial reaction to a tragic occurance hits you harder than it does when it happens to a complete stranger. I guess that's just human nature.

I hope Trevin Dilfer is with the Angels! :angel: It's where he should be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts