Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite six years of hormonal treatments, my sex was immutable, and I remained the same biological male I was at the time of my birth. In hindsight, my sex change to non-binary was a psychologically harmful legal fiction, and I desire to reclaim my male birth sex,” Shupe told PJMedia.
In a dramatic repudiation of the transgenderism movement and the industry that supports it, the request for the change came from James Shupe, an icon of transgender activism, who denounced the movement and the idea that one can change one’s sex as a fraud.
“I’m saying my experience should very much serve as a cautionary tale, to everyone, from males like me with sexual paraphilias and false beliefs about being women, to the lawyers, doctors, judges, therapists, and lawmakers that allowed this whole sordid tale to happen,” Shupe told The Epoch Times via email. .... “The charade of not being male, the legal fiction, it’s over,” Shupe said.
Paraphilias, according to WebMD, are “abnormal sexual behaviors or impulses characterized by intense sexual fantasies and urges that keep coming back.”

News of Shupe’s restored male sex status broke in a Dec. 31 interview with Tyler O’Neil of PJMedia.
“The lies behind my fictitious sex changes, something I shamefully participated in, first to female, and then to non-binary, have been forever exposed. A truthful accounting of events has replaced the deceit that allowed me to become America’s first legally non-binary person.

“The legal record has now been corrected and LGBT advocates are no longer able to use my historic non-binary court order to advance their toxic agenda.
I am and have always been male. That is my biological truth, the only thing capable of grounding me to reality.
Born in the nation’s capital in 1963, Shupe, who served in the U.S. Army from 1982 to 2000, has been married to his wife, Sandy, for three decades. He began identifying as a transgender woman in 2013 after experiencing harassment in the military because others thought of him as homosexual. He subjected himself to hormone treatment that had unpleasant, dangerous side effects, and legally changed his first name to Jamie and his sex to female. He didn’t undergo sex-reassignment surgery.

A few years later, he changed his legal sex again.
On June 10, 2016, Multnomah County, Oregon, Circuit Court Judge Amy Holmes Hehn signed an order declaring that Shupe’s sex “is hereby changed from female to non-binary.”

Shupe was celebrated by the LGBT movement and hailed as a courageous trailblazer by the mainstream media, but changing his legal sex and trying to live as a non-binary person didn’t solve his problems, he said.
“The gender transitions were supposed to fix my mental health problems, but I kept getting worse instead. The high-powered marijuana made me psychotic. I started hearing booming noises and having visions of being some Indian woman,” he told PJMedia.
“I started believing I was some kind of chosen one who was picked to restore the third gender to North America, that’s what I thought the visions were telling me.”

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I believe there are girls that like "guys' stuff" and boys that like "girly stuff". It's just the complexity of nature. It doesn't mean they can be boys or girls. Some people are born blind, or death, or missing a limb. It's not normal. That's why society tries to cure them.
This little 5-year old boy likes to play with dolls? Oh my, let's give him some hormone and turn him into a woman. It's not a boy. ....
But in today's politically correct world, if you don't believe a transgender male should be allowed to play tennis against women, oh my GOD, you will be treated like a disease.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
The issue is complicated. Sometimes people just aren't 100% sure. Gender identity crisis does suck, but to some extent I also blame world norms. Being inclusive can sometimes lead to a person feeling excluded, ironically enough, and yeah hormone treatments are drastic things no matter how one looks at it. I feel these aspects are overlooked as "easy fixes". I applaud his bravery.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
The issue is complicated. Sometimes people just aren't 100% sure. Gender identity crisis does suck, but to some extent I also blame world norms. Being inclusive can sometimes lead to a person feeling excluded, ironically enough, and yeah hormone treatments are drastic things no matter how one looks at it. I feel these aspects are overlooked as "easy fixes". I applaud his bravery.
I went to a trans discussion panel (a trans friend invited me) last year and and when somebody asked about de-transitioning, the people on the panel downright denied that this is happening. Saying that it is super rare, because the whole process of transition is supposedly so complicated. But this is blatantly untrue, since some gender clinics prescribe hormones very easily and even if they don't, many people self-medicate.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I went to a trans discussion panel (a trans friend invited me) last year and and when somebody asked about de-transitioning, the people on the panel downright denied that this is happening. Saying that it is super rare, because the whole process of transition is supposedly so complicated. But this is blatantly untrue, since some gender clinics prescribe hormones very easily and even if they don't, many people self-medicate.
"Official" detransitioning might be rare, but certainly regarding people regretting their decision (and often those who actually go to surgery), there's bound to be quite a number out there. I'm glad for this man that it was somewhat "reversible".

Unfortunately, being trans does come with a lot of politics.
I'm really happy for those who do feel at home but for many, I suspect the interventions are at best "cosmetic" (excuse the pun). Those who take hormones and have the surgery want to believe that their new look/body will allow them to embrace their "true" identity. That's a very simplistic approach. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't want to reduce it to being like anorexia, but there is an element of which is psychological and physical alterations may help, but can also present a very thin mask sometimes that covers over the underlying problems. I'd like to learn more of this guy's story.

·
Registered
37,406 Posts
I believe there are girls that like "guys' stuff" and boys that like "girly stuff". It's just the complexity of nature. It doesn't mean they can be boys or girls. Some people are born blind, or death, or missing a limb. It's not normal. That's why society tries to cure them.
This little 5-year old boy likes to play with dolls? Oh my, let's give him some hormone and turn him into a woman. It's not a boy. ....
But in today's politically correct world, if you don't believe a transgender male should be allowed to play tennis against women, oh my GOD, you will be treated like a disease.
I used to think something similar to this, that trans and non-binary people were simply men and women who had internalized gender roles so much that they simply couldn't cope with having personalities that didn't socially correspond to their sex, and so they needed to change it.

But transgender and non-binary people have been around since forever and in societies that totally accepted them, so obviously I don't think that way any longer.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
But transgender and non-binary people have been around since forever and in societies that totally accepted them, so obviously I don't think that way any longer.
Overly simplistic ahistoric and uncultured statement, "supported" by a Teen Vogue propaganda link. Not good.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Overly simplistic ahistoric and uncultured statement, "supported" by a Teen Vogue propaganda link. Not good.
Just to clarify. I also don't believe that trans people have "internalized gender roles up to an extreme". I never did. However, I think the situation is more complex and shold not be distorted by historically revisionist quasi-anthropological claims.

·
Registered
37,406 Posts

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
I'm not disputing the existence of various gender categories throughout the time. But it doesn't mean that the historical accounts explain much of the recent phenomena of trans social contagion in the UK, Canada and the rest of the West.

·
Registered
37,406 Posts
Why not? What's the difference?

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Why not? What's the difference?
Different cultures, different times... For a start, the current phenomenon is interesting because of the way it's accelerating - due to heavy political lobbying and the role of internet social communities. The society at large has not changed that much in the past 10 years, during which we've seen a sharp increase, mainly among (pre)pubescent girls wanting to transition. How does North American indigenuous culture help us describe this. What does the history say about the phenomenon of "detransition" which seems to be relevant in the present, and possibly even more so in the future.

·
Registered
37,406 Posts
Well it helps to dispel the belief that this is just a problem of "today's politically correct world" taking issue with tomboys and boys who play with dolls and giving them hormones, as it obviously goes way before that. And it also validates my statement that people who don't conform to the gender binary (be it transgender, non-binary or whatever else you wanna call it nowadays) have been around since forever and in societies that accepted them, which I still don't get why you took issue with that statement, tbh. I guess it doesn't help to explain issues like detransitioning but I never said it would.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
If we want to change gender of a boy who plays with dolls, we automatically assign dolls as toys designed for girls. And that's politically incorrect either. Oh, the paradox.

·
Registered
46,309 Posts
It's just a pithy gif from the Dr. Seuss story of the Sneetches, who were changing their bodies back and forth. It wasn't meant to offend, and if anyone is offended, I will edit it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts