1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2009-02-11-shaharpeer-dubai_N.htm?csp=34

Trailblazing Israeli Peer plans to play next week in Dubai

By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY

Israel's Shahar Peer could become the first professional athlete from her country to compete in the United Arab Emirates next week if plans for her participation at a tournament in Dubai come together.

Last year, Peer blazed a trail when she played a tournament in Qatar, becoming the first Israeli to compete in a Persian Gulf state.

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour confirmed that Peer is entered in the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships, which begin Monday.

Peer, a 21-year-old Jerusalem native currently ranked No. 48, declined to comment through tour spokeswoman Amy Binder. Tour officials also had no comment.

Peer's participation in Doha last February was met with some fanfare and was seen as a positive step in building relations in the region. Her possible participation in Dubai next week could be seen as another step in easing relations between Israel and its Gulf neighbors.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Well, I'm just not sure why she is so desperate to play :unsure:

·
Registered
21,433 Posts
Thats trailblazin!

She is only gonna be there for one match anyway so its not that big a risk for her :eek:

Can you imagine if Dubai did not let her come? The WTA bend over backwards for the oil rich Middle East so they can stage tournaments that certain nations individuals cant attend, at least this is a step in the right direction to allowing anyone with an Israeli passport in.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
Well, I'm just not sure why she is so desperate to play :unsure:
I agree...

I still applaud her courage. It takes actions like these to break the barrier.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Good for her, I can understand why she is desperate to play there because these countries have no business hosting tournaments if they are going to block certain individuals from entering because of where they come from. If I was a pro player I wouldn't go anywhere near these countries but if Peer qualifies and wants to play she should be allowed. If they prevent her doing so then the WTA needs to take a tough line with them, which they won't due to the money aspect.

·
Trainwreck
58,686 Posts
Well you probably know this already but Peer played in Auckland in January and during her last match there was a group of protesters outside the stadium 'cause of the whole Gaza war. It seems like Peer's having a bit of trouble in a few places. :(

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I love the hypocricy of these "gaza" protestors, they are probably the ones bitching about innocent civilians being injured/killed while at the same time they think its fair game to pick on a tennis player who has nothing at all to do with her governments policy. They don't know if they agrees with it or not, if she voted for them, she can't even be in the country that much either since she's busy travelling over the world playing tennis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts