Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....I posted that regular club play is polite, but sometimes tournies can be really really competitive, as we all know.

I was in a tournament several months ago....this is what happened.

Played mens doubles against an opponent who one of the players has a rep for making bad line calls. Well he called two really bad ones but we said nothing. I was playing the net on the ad side, and he and my partner were having this awesome crosscourt forehand exchange. Finally I had a chance and poached the shit outa the ball and smacked a hard volley down the middle just inside the line. The crowd who was watching all cheered. He yelled back...."NO! The ball was OUT!"...well I lost it, and said..."Bullshit! That ball was clearly in and you know it!". His partner refused to say anything. Well, he said it was his call and his call only (which it was technically)...he got all mad and said I had no business questioning his calls. Later he called ANOTHER ball out when it was in. He said it was out and his partner said the ball was good. So they told us to replay the point. We said no...if you can't agree on the call, then the call is good. He got all angry and accused me of calling points on his side of the net again. They ended up giving us the point. We continued playing...and later my partner hit an inside out crosscourt forehand winner in the alley on him. After the point, I asked if he saw that ball in...well...he went ballistic and almost jumped the net to hit me. It was ugly.

It was a VERY close match and we ended up losing in three sets. I was so mad at the guy...I continued to play well and he was rude and full of attitude for the rest of the match.

Has anyone ever got THAT mad at you on the court!!??

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Ughh this is why I quit tournament tennis, at least on the USTA level. In New England, they have two levels of tournaments called challengers and championships, championships being the stronger ones. I played a couple of 18s Championships and the atmosphere is fucking ridiculous. The first one I played I was talking to one of the kids playing in it and I asked who he was playing. He said "Oh, some kid named ..." I told him that was me and he gives me this really cold stare and gets up and leaves :eek: The parents in this are insane too. I called a ball out that was close, but clearly out, and this father screamed out "Bullshit! Don't you even think about fucking my son over like that!" A lot of the mothers bring these huge pads of paper to chart their son/daughter's winners and unforced errors as well. And this is on the sectional level!! I did OK in these tournaments, but not well enough to want to go through that bullshit anytime soon.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geez....that is awful!!! I think junior tournaments where you have to contend with the parents are the worst. At my adult level, you just have to deal with assholes who give bad calls and try to intimidate you mentally.

I just finished a tournament where I played mixed A's (4.5). We upset a team which the male was the #2 seeded mens A doubles (who later won the tournament). We next upset another team which consisted of a husband and wife, the wife was the #2 womens A doubles (who later lost in the final). But anyway....the husband was really trying to intimidate us, he is quite tall and strong. I'm 5'9 and 135, and my partner is probably 90-95 lbs! They were up 4-1 in the first set and he was always gunning for both of us at the net. Well we settled his ass soon enough and broke his serve and proceeded to win the next 5 games. They were so flabbergasted we came up like we did (very aggressive)...and beat the crap out of them 6-2 in the second! It was awesome.....he was such an asshole afterwards. He was saying things like, "you guys should really feel good because you beat US, no one expected you guys to win this match".....I almost hit him with my racquet! We ended up playing another match after that and ended up losing in the semi's to the #1 seed, who ended up winning. Not bad we thought....what an asshole.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
3,780 Posts
I remember once (long ago), my opponent who was way older than me asked to the referee before we started to play: "When will my next match be scheduled after this one? Because I can't come tomorrow morning". :eek:
I ended up winning (because 1) He was baaaaad and 2) I didn't want to lose against him after that) and he had the audacity to tell me: "Good match. I like to teach youngsters some tennis". :scratch:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I've had all of the above experiences. There was this one match that a friend of mine was playing. His serve was a let (barely audible, but just) but his opponent didn't call it and continued the point. They kept playing until my friend lost the point. My friend then queried, "wasn't that a let on the serve?" Do you know what his opponent said? He said, "oh, I was waiting for you to call it." :rolleyes: My friend gave up the point. His opponent had been giving him crappy calls all day and they had been at each others throats. It was pure hate on both sides.

Another mate relayed this story to me. The No. 1 player in the state was facing off against the No. 2 in the state, in a long-awaited grudge match. The No. 1 was an arrogant prick who used to talk his way into arguments with other players and officials. Earlier in the morning, he had had an argument with the referee over something silly. I don't know what. Anyway, during this particular match, he was losing 5-7 0-2 when he missed a shot and yelled at himself, "You're playing as crap as (insert referee's name here)!" The referee was standing on the side of the court when he said this! She glared at the No. 1 guy fiercely. The ref then went up to the No. 2 guy and shook his hands. She said to him, "congratulations, you've just won the match and the championship." She defaulted the No. 1 player in the state!

Personally, I've never had any major problems on the court. I've had opponents query calls but that's about it. I never question calls myself or argue anything. I accept whatever decision my opponent makes, even if I think it's well in. It makes me sound like a wimp, but I figure that it's just a tennis match, and that if they're willing to cheat to win that badly, then they can have it. I don't need it. Funnily enough, people like that seem to be the ones who also accuse me of cheating. Stuff that and stuff them!

·
Registered
15,464 Posts
well, i've seen stuff like this happen many times, but i've experienced it only once. it was this stupid whore called jeanne lee!GRRRRR!first of all, for someone as flat as she is, she has lots to say!

there we were playing in the second set tiebreaker, after, btw, i had won the first one 6-1, and i was up 4-1in the TB. so there we were, rallying away when the cold-blooded ho threw in a dropshot. i ran and got my racket on it and the ball accidentally hit her elbow (like its my fault she has poor reflexes). she accussed me of hitting her purposely, which was an utter lie cuz i was just desperate to get the ball over the net!i didnt even see the bitch standing there! anyway, we replayed the point and got into this rally and as i was moving up to the net, she viciously hit a forehand so hard it hit me in the thigh.and i know she did it on purpose cuz she didnt say sorry, but i think she smile to herself!evIL SKANK!ugh!!!and the biggest injustice was that she was awarded the point. oh well, i ended up trouncing her ass 6-1 7-6(3) in the end, so its good.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
being polite got me no where!!!! Attacking the odd flowerbed never did me any harm.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.