Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the role and the responsibilities of a TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR, and how do they qualify? Aside from years of relative experience as a pro tennis player (as a few tournament directors seem to be), do tournament directors who have not had this type of experience need any special skills or education?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might know the answers to one or (hopefully) both of my questions. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've TD'ed one tourney so far, and assisted on several more.

It's really a jack-of-all-trades kind of job. You have to work the draw, make sure the facility is staffed with enough people for the tourney, volunteers, and then EXTRA volutneers for those that are gonna renege, be on top of things like food services, medical facilities... even down to making sure there's enough TP in the bathrooms.

Then there's considerations with the weather, making sure the courts are ready, parking, and all this is not even taking into consideration working with the players, and their needs. Even at the local level, there's conflict resolution, scheduling changes, soothing bruised egos, dealing with obstinate players, dealing with cheaters, updating draws, court changes, on and on, and all the while, trying to maintain a positive, cheerful demeanor.

It's a PITA, to be sure, but I think it's worth it.

..Joe

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe. That was very helpful. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts