Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
34,901 Posts
I only saw the third set but was quite impressed by Bouzková! Not only her game but her attitude that she actually acted like she had a chance in this match, which is different from sooooo many of these WTA girls against Wonder Woman (cough cough Julia Görges).

Wonder Woman's dramatics :hysteric:. And saying "I've always wanted to play against [Andreescu]" when she won the US Open before this girl was even born and no one had heard of her before a few months ago :spit:.

I have to respect WW for finally playing, and winning, outside slams though. It would have been a travesty if she had sleepwalked her way to a major title without any attempt at being a full-time player, but if she wins the US Open now I won't be able to fault it.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
This is the type of match Serena needed! She was being outplayed and found a way to fight and raise her game. This could have easily been 2 quick sets. :yeah:
Think that's why Serena was giggling slightly strangely in the on court interview. She was happy, or relieved, that she's in good enough shape and form now to make those adjustments against a Bouzkova kind of player.

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Sad for Marie, but Serena needs to have a good farewell tour :shrug:

·
Premium Member
65,184 Posts
Serena :inlove:
Please win the title :cheer:

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
16,579 Posts
Great to see Serena turnaround a match after losing a one sided set (a la last 3 slam finals). I really hope these matches turn out to be valuable for her USO title quest. It’s just what she needs.

Bouzkova is so likeable, she’s a welcome addition to the WTA.

·
Registered
54,687 Posts
:woohoo:

so happy she reached the final ! Bouzkova sure did give her a fight :yeah: ans she is very refreshing ! with all the sourpuss ,half-arsed faces on tour, having someone smiling and enjoying herself on a tennis court like it's Xmas day was very nice to see

Time to win a title now , Momma ! :cheer:

let's hope for a great final ! it has all what's needed to be super exciting ! :bounce:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,725 Posts
:inlove:

Marie is such a sweet soul. She is going to have to get used to that level of applause though, there's going to be plenty more where that came from. She is going to earn a lot of fans with her genuine warmth, humility and kindness, her 100% determination to give her best every point, and her great sportsmanship.

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
2,842 Posts
This is a thing with Serena wherein she sometimes starts slowly, even before her pregnancy break.

I don't think she does it on purpose but it's a measure of how much she respects (or how much she'd hate to lose to) her opponent.

She's usually means business from the first ball against Venus (or Maria) and since Osaka had beaten her twice, she wasn't messing around with her either.

She probably didn't have the necessary intensity against Bouzkova at the start of the match.

I'm glad she turned it around though, and a match versus a scrappy defender is just what she needed, IMO.

Many of the players that semi-reliably give Serena trouble are more like counterpunchers with a kill shot.

Bouzkova was defending with deep shots throughout most the the match and Serena had to work for openings.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
She should have brought in to play the final after Serena withdrew.
Change the rules please. Replay the Final if less than a full set was played.
Give them 1h and half to get ready. People paid to watch the final.

·
Registered
34,802 Posts
She should have brought in to play the final after Serena withdrew.
Change the rules please. Replay the Final if less than a full set was played.
Give them 1h and half to get ready. People paid to watch the final.
Nice idea, but a bit impractical, it means you have to force the SF loser to stick around just in case there's a retirement, when they would likely already be on a plane to Cincinnati.

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Marie has me as a fan after this match :) Some of the balls that she got to were jaw-dropping and she does not stop fighting. :D

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
Marie has me as a fan after this match :) Some of the balls that she got to were jaw-dropping and she does not stop fighting. :D
yes.. she's got amazing returns. Her defense is mighty.
Plus, she never guessed where Serena was serving. She could read it, unlike someone I won't name. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to post a new thread about the following subject but can't do so due to insufficient post count, but can you imagine if Bouzkova had won the Canada Premier 5 tournament? She started the week with a lower ranking (91) than Madison Brengle (73), who won the ITF 60k tournament in Landisville. Has there ever been a woman who won a WTA "regular" tournament (i.e. not a WTA 125k tournament) had a lower pre-tournament rank than an ITF tournament winner the same week?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts