Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So glad Serena was able to grind that one out. I had my doubts about Serena beating Osaka, and was petrified to wake from my nap to see Rena down a set and being outplayed by Marie.

Folks in love commentary thread were salivating for the upset. Silly rabbits. You gotta win two sets to win the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They RAN out of the thread after that second set :haha:

·
Registered
283 Posts
First of all a big congrats to Bouzkova who has had a terrific week and contributed her part to a great, fun match. That ranking is going to rise and we'll see a lot more from her. Serena had a slow start and I wasn't sure she would click into gear in the end but she did and it was great to see her in semi full flight by the end.

A great achievement to make a final here in Toronto right after the Wimbledon final and would love to see her take the title here - the drought has been soo long. An electric final ahead with Andreescu who I am also a big fan of. Although she is bound up a bit Bianca's body seems absolutely fine so I don't think she'll be physically hampered at all.

Good luck tomorrow Serena! :D hope to still see her in Cincinnati also, regardless of the outcome of tomorrow. More matches I really feel will help and there will still be a week off of rest and preparation before NY

·
Registered
872 Posts
Serena started off terribly and Bouzkova was playing WAY better than her ranking. Wind did seem to be a factor that favored Bouzkova who undoubtedly has superior footwork and movement. But Serena settled in, serve started firing, and she became a bit more patient in the second set rather than the slew of errors in the first. By the end of the third, Serena was just hitting amazing shots from everywhere on the court (it did seem the wind had died down by then). I think Serena really needed a win like this - a win against a player who is getting EVERYTHING back - and often times getting it back deep or far away - and will not miss. This is really the type of player that troubles Serena the most nowadays.

Bouzkova did an amazing job in the first set and really gave it her best in the second and third. Aside from a sloppy end of the second set, she really played great and Serena had to play at a high level to beat her. If Bouzkova can get a bit more power while keeping her movement, I can see her being the Halep/Kerber-like player of her generation.

Final tomorrow is going to be great!

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
how czech republic does it to pump out talents like candy is completely beyond me, must be the water at this point?? :lol:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Marie can feel proud of herself for this match and for the whole of the tournament.
She played so well and just could not sustain it in the end but still never backed down in final set and Serena really had to win it in the end! :yeah:

I feel like Serena will have to serve really well if she wants to beat Andreescu.
I don’t think she can beat her by rallying much so she will have to try to make points short.
Anyway great final for the tournament, they could not have hoped for a better one.

·
Registered
23,496 Posts
how czech republic does it to pump out talents like candy is completely beyond me, must be the water at this point?? :lol:
Canadian water is starting to rise...

watch out for the flood :eek:h:

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
Anyone else feel like Bianca's gonna tap that ass that tomorrow?
You been thinking someone's gonna tap that ass all week though. Even if she does Serena has gotten her match play in for the Open.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Win or lose the final, I do not expect her to be in Cincinnati. She has enough matches where she can practice and build for New York. Don't think her body could handle another run next week without a first round bye.
Regardless of what happens tomorrow, I firmly believe if she goes to Cincy, she'll maybe play 1 or 2 matches and withdraw. She'll likely have 2 days off before playing another match anyhow.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
This was done once Serena found some consistency in rallies. Her fitness and movement have vastly improved from her Wimbledon performance.

Gutted for Marie - she was impressively tough for a set and a half and even though it wasn't a case of a match slipping out of her hands (except for not taking some opportunities late in the second set), you could sense she knew she couldn't reach the level required to beat an improving Serena. She's going to cry over this but hopefully she can learn from this experience and continue moving forward.

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
So glad Serena was able to grind that one out. I had my doubts about Serena beating Osaka, and was petrified to wake from my nap to see Rena down a set and being outplayed by Marie.

Folks in live commentary thread were salivating for the upset. Silly rabbits. You gotta win two sets to win the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially this foolish @swissfanatic

https://www.tennisforum.com/81721045-post2007.html

Once again looking like a fool. :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,237 Posts
Very entertaining high quality match. Serena showed what a champion she still is and on that form I think she is the favourite for the title and she is probably favourite to finally grab that elusive 24th Grand Slam at the US Open next month.

I'm delighted with how well Marie played. I knew this match would be a tough one but my hope was that Marie would give a great account of herself and she absolutely did that. In the 1st set, Marie actually hit more winners than Serena and she really did play a blinder. Serena had to raise her game to win and like the legend she is she did, but it takes an extremely good player to force Serena into having to play her best tennis to win. Marie should be extremely proud of every match she played this week and I know we will be seeing a lot more of her over the coming years. This was the week Marie introduced herself to the WTA.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So happy with this win :sobbing:
I am gladly putting my clown wig on after those comments I've had after the first set.
Can't wait for the delicious final tomorrow :drool:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Serena started poor, her serve was a shadow of yesterday and Marie was giving the kind of fight she didn´t expect, but then a couple of points and momentum changed for both. Good sign from Marie that she didn´t give up completely until the end.

how Serena and her husband are cheering and making faces like this was the worldcup soccer final is cringeworthy and entertaining at the same time, but yea, nobody tops Serena in drama on the court so...

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,237 Posts
This was done once Serena found some consistency in rallies. Her fitness and movement have vastly improved from her Wimbledon performance.

Gutted for Marie - she was impressively tough for a set and a half and even though it wasn't a case of a match slipping out of her hands (except for not taking some opportunities late in the second set), you could sense she knew she couldn't reach the level required to beat an improving Serena. She's going to cry over this but hopefully she can learn from this experience and continue moving forward.
I think she cried because she was touched at the warmth of the crowd as she left the court. Marie isn't one to feel sorry for herself.

·
Registered
33,069 Posts
All those rats in the commentary thread jumped ship quick and in a hurry. :lol:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Marie said she always wanted to play Serena and she didn’t show up with empty words. I’m happy Serena is moving on, in another final... win it all Serena.

·
Registered
40,212 Posts

21 - 40 of 80 Posts