Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toronto R3: [Q]Bouzkova def. Ostapenko 6-2 6-2

From the very first point to the end, even when facing multiple breakpoints, it never really felt like Marie is going to lose. (Extremely rare feeling)

Really, the matchup is simply NID.

It was like watching a film you saw a hundred times over and already knowing the outcome. :eek:h:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Great win for pusher!

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Marie into Toronto QF ! :eek: :worship:

Marie was very consistent. A wall. Smart defense. Very good movement.

A bad match from Jelena :sad:

That was ugly to watch.
Jelena had no patience. She was an UE machine. Also served very weak :help:
And she wasted all her chances. Especially in the 2nd set. Most of them with UEs.

No Ace, 10 DFs :tape:
Break points won: 0 of 4 ! :eek:

Marie
7 Winners
8 UEs

Ostapenko
21 Winners
32 UEs

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
Re: Toronto R3: [Q]Bouzkova def. Ostapenko 6-2 6-2

Yeah, this match up plays into Marie's hands perfectly. Marie handles pace really well. She also covers the court extremely well. And she doesn't make a lot of errors either. And on top of all that while Marie doesn't hit a lot of winners she still plays aggressively enough to keep her opponents on the run so that it isn't that easy for them to hit winners either.

So basically Jelena wasn't going to get as many cheap points as she likes and she was going have to work hard for every winner she earned. And Jelena's game is too fragile for that and as soon as she has to start working for the majority of her points in a match, the errors start flowing and that's what happened today.

Jelena is a great match-up for Marie on paper and that was confirmed on the court today. Oh, they did play once before. In juniors. At the 2014 US Open. Jelena was the number two seed that year. Marie beat her then 6-3 6-1. So not much has changed in 5 years then. :eek:h:

I am thrilled for Marie. It was always just a matter of time before she had her big breakthrough and it is great to see it happening now.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Re: Toronto R3: [Q]Bouzkova def. Ostapenko 6-2 6-2

Boozekova-- good solid all round game, and doesn't beat herself. The other player has to beat her.
-
Ostapenko-- goes to extreme lengths to beat herself. Penko would need to have a very good day to beat Booze.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Marie can surprise Simona. This year Marketa Vondrousova defeated her twice and Marie believes herself more and more. Two pushers and one has nothing to lose ...;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Her game is decent but nothing special. No wonder she has stunning 1-10 record against top 70 players with sole win coming against tanking Sloane this week. Bouzkova got 80 UEs from Sloane & Jelena in 36 games.

·
37,036 Posts
Her game is decent but nothing special. No wonder she has stunning 1-10 record against top 70 players with sole win coming against tanking Sloane this week. Bouzkova got 80 UEs from Sloane & Jelena in 36 games.
She is only just turned 21 and she is improving all the time. That record will change. She has an excellent career ahead of her.

And since she already has you belittling her, I am even more confident of her future.

·
Registered
703 Posts
She is only just turned 21 and she is improving all the time. That record will change. She has an excellent career ahead of her.

And since she already has you belittling her, I am even more confident of her future.
Only 21?! When is she gonna be good - at 35? She has won 6 main draw matches. SIX. And half of those have been this week via soft draw - local junior wild card, tanking Sloane and error machine Ostapenko. So such combo finally provided Bouzkova with first tour level QF.

She and Ostapenko both won junior slams in 2014. Ostapenko Wimbledon, Bouzkova US Open. Marie has done nothing in 5 years since, until this week when there were very good circumstances. I sort of like her game but I don't see a future Grand Slam champion in her like I see the powerful Polish girl Swiatek dominating tour for years to come.

1-10 record against top 70 players is flat out embarrassing and basically shows she is average at best. Take away Sloane's pathetic tank which was in the making after she pulled the same stuff against Peterson in DC last week and Bouzkova's best win is against semi-retired No.74 Stosur in Brisbane of all places. Everyone knows she can't perform in Australia.

·
37,036 Posts
Only 21?! When is she gonna be good - at 35? She has won 6 main draw matches. SIX. And half of those have been this week via soft draw - local junior wild card, tanking Sloane and error machine Ostapenko. So such combo finally provided Bouzkova with first tour level QF.

She and Ostapenko both won junior slams in 2014. Ostapenko Wimbledon, Bouzkova US Open. Marie has done nothing in 5 years since, until this week when there were very good circumstances. I sort of like her game but I don't see a future Grand Slam champion in her like I see the powerful Polish girl Swiatek dominating tour for years to come.

1-10 record against top 70 players is flat out embarrassing and basically shows she is average at best. Take away Sloane's pathetic tank which was in the making after she pulled the same stuff against Peterson in DC last week and Bouzkova's best win is against semi-retired No.74 Stosur in Brisbane of all places. Everyone knows she can't perform in Australia.
I'm not suggesting Marie will be a Grand Slam champion. I wouldn't suggest that of any player who is in the early stages of their career. But I am confident she will have a successful career on the WTA tour. I won't say anything more to you because I don't like to waste my time with people I have no respect for.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not suggesting Marie will be a Grand Slam champion. I wouldn't suggest that of any player who is in the early stages of their career. But I am confident she will have a successful career on the WTA tour. I won't say anything more to you because I don't like to waste my time with people I have no respect for.
Early stages? She's been around for years and has not won anything or beaten anyone good, aside from tanking Sloane who donated 48 UEs in 20 games for 6-2, 7-5 win. If having a successful career means winning International tier title without facing anyone good and staying in top 100 thanks to ITF points (aka Madison Brengle/Taylor Townsend route), she might just qualify for it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts