Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of thoughts about the match, some of them printable. DFs made the difference in this match, the surprise was that so many of the really crucially bad timed ones were from Pavlyuchenkova.

The good news is that early rounds are when Ostapenko plays her worst, so Bouzkova may not have the cakewalk the second and third set today would indicate.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Aljona maybe demonstrating, in her odd unique way, that maybe she does want to stay in the top 100!

(Up to No.73 on the live race)

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
28 DFs between them :SNE: Oysters was lucky enough to meet someone almost as profligate as her from the service line, but a win is a win ...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Jelena was not even bad with her groundstrokes, she hit many good CC winners, but serving from both girls was just a nightmare. They weren't even going for their 2nd serves, they were just throwing 100km/h serves in the middle of the net or 1 metre out :eek:h:

I hope Jelena can do something for that serve, it would be enough to have a higher 1st serve percentage to win matches like this one easily. :sad:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,060 Posts
Congratulations to Jelena for winning the battle of the double faults 15-13. Jelena led almost the entire match but towards the end Nastya started making a move and the match was up in the air right up to the final point. Have to say, this was an exciting, high quality double fault contest with some very exceptional df displays from both players. Well done to both girls. For true double fault connoisseurs this match will take some beating.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Commentator actually said of Penko during the third set that it was encouraging but there was still room for improvement. Which I thought was possibly the understatement of the year.:lol:

Still a win is a win and if she could reduce the errors even a little bit she could be mighty dangerous...

I was wondering if Pavly's shoulder was 100% in her game in DC against XTina McHale and I can't help wondering again if she isn't carrying a bit of a problem.But since Nastia is entirely capable of going from sublime to horrendous in a heartbeat even when fully fit maybe I'm reading too much into it.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,060 Posts
Commentator actually said of Penko during the third set that it was encouraging but there was still room for improvement. Which I thought was possibly the understatement of the year.:lol:

Still a win is a win and if she could reduce the errors even a little bit she could be mighty dangerous...

I was wondering if Pavly's shoulder was 100% in her game in DC against XTina McHale and I can't help wondering again if she isn't carrying a bit of a problem.But since Nastia is entirely capable of going from sublime to horrendous in a heartbeat even when fully fit maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Yeah. I think saying that "there was still room for improvement" is probably the kindest thing a commentator could say about Jelena's performance today. :eek:h:

·
Registered
15,918 Posts
That handshake is lols.

Jel-O starts exchanging words and Pavs just brushes her hand without making any eye contact. Amusing - and this is why we need entertainers like Jel-O playing well.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Aljona winning two matches in a row happens so rarely these days, it’s cause for celebration :cheer: Good chance to make the QF although Bouzkova will be very tough.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts