Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Barty’s rise to no.1 was hardly worthy of note. (sorry, Sam Groth). Mostly, she is just exploiting the weaknesses of her opponents (few girls can handle slice, few move well on clay). And today that was her downfall - way to passive, just pushing for errors. Needless to say, I don’t think she will make a great no.1

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Ash clearly very rusty in her first hardcourt match. Mediocre serving, bad ROS, BH did not find a good range. And all that against an in form fearless hitter like Kenin and disaster was brewing.

Number 1 spot in big peril now. :scared:

Kenin once again showing she isn't afraid to take on the big names.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Barty is yet another number 1 who doesn’t feel like real number 1.
Today it was not even top 10 level.
I hope she finds the form again because she is likable girl with special game.

Kenin’s tennis is effective, she is unconfortable draw for anyone.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ash looked very rusty.

Kenin is a great fighter, especially when she's playing the top players, she's lost some tight matches this season but today she managed to get the job done.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ash played pretty bad honestly, she never looked like she was in control of the match, as a #1 player should. She just kept hitting back shots in the middle of the court on the forehand side. Kenina played great though and now she collects her first win over a #1 player. Naomi should overtake Ash if she wins a match here for #1.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

Are Barty fans still insisting she will be the best player on tour "for several years to come"? Solid, sound baseliners in Riske and Kenin completely deconstructing her game two tournaments in a row now. I'm already seeing the narrative is shifting from "she only lost once to someone outside the Top 10 this year" to "Kenin is an absolutely insane draw her first tournament back!!!"

Well, that's the WTA. There will be insane draws every week. And I really don't think Barty's 'slice or hit my FH very hard CC' game is that good enough to be replicating results like she had at Miami, RG (with that cakewalk draw), or Birmingham on a consistent basis. Hopefully Osaka or Pliskova snatch the #1 from under her nose.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
I saw that "L" coming from a mile away. This little wave of American success is still going on. I'm not sure it's going to produce anything outside of a few major upsets here and there, though.

Reactions: calipolo

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Barty was so passive, think she was surprised Kenin played different thann last 3 times being more aggressive and she panicked and didn't change it up

·
Registered
5,526 Posts

Are Barty fans still insisting she will be the best player on tour "for several years to come"? Solid, sound baseliners in Riske and Kenin completely deconstructing her game two tournaments in a row now. I'm already seeing the narrative is shifting from "she only lost once to someone outside the Top 10 this year" to "Kenin is an absolutely insane draw her first tournament back!!!"

Well, that's the WTA. There will be insane draws every week. And I really don't think Barty's 'slice or hit my FH very hard CC' game is that good enough to be replicating results like she had at Miami, RG (with that cakewalk draw), or Birmingham on a consistent basis. Hopefully Osaka or Pliskova snatch the #1 from under her nose.
To be fair, it’s a great forehand. Very compact (to my eye). But she doesn’t use it. That just angers me even more. Instead, I’m forced to watch her endlessly (and rather cowardly) slice that awful backhand. Such an insult to the tennis gods.

·
Premium Member
64,827 Posts
Ash :hug:

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Kenin is dangerous lately, Barty looked a bit flustered throughout. Looked rusty and has opened the door for Osaka and Pliskova to snatch the #1 spot back.
But the question is does either one want it back? This might hurt a couple individuals on TF but even they might start to get it through their thick skulls that the best thing for the tour right now would be for a certain player they have a bone to pick with, for her to return to number 1. She can't do it here so it will be up to either Osaka or Pliskova to play hot potato with it until then. Knowing what happened the first time she held it I really wouldn't wish that top spot for Naomi, not with the USO defense around the corner. So I guess Pliskova should just bite the bullet and grab it by reaching the semis (or tanking before so it stays with Barty a bit longer).

And if I were in that quarter of the draw, well I'd be pretty scared of Kenin right about now.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts