Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Yayy Sofia! Sorry for SWH, but Sofia is in much improved form this year, and was actually ranked one spot higher :)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,034 Posts
I really don't think Su-Wei has come into this year's North American summer hardcourt season in her best form at all. Particularly, the serve, never the best part of her game, is weaker than usual. I don't know what underlying reasons there might be for that, if any, but it is pretty apparent. But beyond that, there is definitely a little bit of Su-Wei's usual magic that has gone hiding these last couple of weeks. She has still made some pretty cool shots but less than at her best and with considerably more errors thrown in. Of course there is plenty of time for Su-Wei to improve before the US Open and hopefully even next week she will play better than she did today, but yeah, today wasn't great.

Kenin isn't my favourite player out there, but one has to admire her competitiveness. She fights for every point and gives hardly anything away for free. She plays smart too, knows when to attack and knows when to stay in the point and play good defence. Totally deserved the win today. Next up will be world number one Ashleigh Barty. Barty has beaten her all three times they have played but Kenin had her moments at Roland Garros when she was on a good run against Barty and Ashleigh had to play very well to turn that match around.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Su Wei was unprepared, her racket-sword wasn't sharpened. :frown2:

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
These courts are quite heavy, slow, bouncy... not suitable to Hsieh’s game - her ground strokes get swallowed up by the court. Easy for someone like Kenin to take control

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
These courts are quite heavy, slow, bouncy... not suitable to Hsieh’s game - her ground strokes get swallowed up by the court. Easy for someone like Kenin to take control
This is going to be a very interesting 2nd Round for the World No 1 Barty. At RG Barty was at her best. This is different. I wouldn't be shocked if Sofia pulls off the upset and beats Ash here.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Kenin missed a huge chance last week to get herself more known in her homeland. She has titles in New Zealand and Spain this year, so one in DC would have been great, but not to be. Obviously not the States, but a nice run here would do her no harm, and crucial that she stays in the top 32 heading into Queens.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
This is going to be a very interesting 2nd Round for the World No 1 Barty. At RG Barty was at her best. This is different. I wouldn't be shocked if Sofia pulls off the upset and beats Ash here.
I wouldn’t be surprised either. Too often she is relying on forcing her opponents to play bad with her slice but that will be harder to now because players are more familiar with her game and will be more focused to beat the no.1. Barty has obviously had a great year. But the ‘Honeymoon period’ is over now & there is more pressure.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
another excellent win by the least hyped young player on tour.

as i have said before she is just quietly going about her business.

a really solid year, she just fights & fights for every point. she may not have as much talent as some, but she gets everything out of herself. rarely does she play a really poor match. ( plus i really like feisty & ultra competitive players)

barty will need to be on guard, because an upset is very possible.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: Toronto R1Sorry if it’s a bit off-topic. The 1st time I sa: Kenin d. Hsieh 64 63

Sorry if it’s a bit off-topic.

The 1st time I saw Hsieh played was at 2018 AO, vs Mugu (by “accident”). I was so surprised to see someone played like that; I’d never been able to imagine it. Her matches with Mugu and Kerber made me laugh to tears. Then I followed Kerber and found Halep, who won my heart the first time I saw her- playing her ass off like “there was no tomorrow.” So thanks to Hsieh and Halep I am now watching tennis again.

But I noticed that Hsieh magic/tricks/Su-wei style/creativity/unpredictability has dwindled since this year’s Doha/Dubai, even when she had some success there. I got worried and kept observing. It turns out that she relies on baseline strokes all the more, becomes less and less “unpredictable,” and I find myself short of laughter watching her games. There may be many reasons to it, such as her different opponents, but I think it’s her own making to start with.

Now Hsieh seems to me more of a regular baseliner/retriever than an eccentric funny painter (the court as a canvas). Sadly I don’t think she will fare very well going this way. That pixie is leaving her- it’s how I see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts