Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if that idea is the answer to all of these withdrawals, but I understand the frustration.

Toronto organizer upset at pullouts
No. 1 women's tennis player Clijsters on hand but several other top names have withdrawn

SEAN FITZ-GERALD
CanWest News Service
Monday, August 11, 2003

Belgian Kim Clijsters is entering the Rogers AT&T Cup as the No. 1-ranked player in the world, but she will not be joined by many of her elite colleagues, a situation which has left the Canadian tournament director admitting to a watered-down draw.

Stacey Allaster, who is on the WTA Tour's board of directors, has called for changes to the way the women's game is operated after several of the top 20 athletes opted out of playing in Toronto. The latest was New York native Jennifer Capriati, who withdrew Saturday with a re-occurring shoulder injury just days after her father said she would play.

The tournament, which begins its main draw today, will feature only 11 of the world's top 20 players. Stars such as Serena and Venus Williams have pulled out, as have Monica Seles, Conchita Martinez and Chanda Rubin.

"It's been a tough year for Toronto, and I was so proud of the advance commitment list that we had because it was going to be a real great opportunity for us to celebrate Toronto," Allaster said yesterday. "I still believe that, but obviously, I can't deny it's not going to be what it was."

Over the weekend, Allaster suggested adopting a format similar to the men's game, in which players are forced to attend elite-level tournaments. Skipping a stop on the Masters Series is costly in ranking points.

Without the same incentives on the WTA Tour, many of the women are cancelling at the last minute regardless of the prize money available.

The Rogers AT&T Cup has a purse of $1.325 million U.S., but it begins two weeks before the U.S. Open.

Clijsters is the Rogers AT&T Cup's top seed, and became the top-ranked player in the world after defeating Lindsay Davenport 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, at the JPMorgan Chase Open in southern California yesterday.

As of yesterday, fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne was ranked third in the world, and the two have been part of a growing rivalry. They exchanged words through the media in California earlier this month, when Henin-Hardenne took an injury timeout in the first set of the Acura Classic final to re-tape a blister on her foot, then rallied to beat Clijsters.

"It's not the first time that it's happened," Clijsters said.

"I think the Battle of the Belgians, that's a story that's developing," Allaster said. "I think there's a lot of drama there which will excite people on-site."

Defending champion Amélie Mauresmo, veteran Mary Pierce and youngsters Daniela Hantuchova and Jelena Dokic are also listed in the singles draw.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sports/story.asp?id=57C41E4A-E72C-497E-8A24-7A00AD5E1951

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,143 Posts
I understand their frustration and I think the tour will benefit if WTA adopted a masters series type of format. However when players are injured- players injured- fines or reduction in rankings points won't help an injured player recover in time to play a tournament!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, but she wants the top women penalized if they miss one, like the men are.

Man, if that were to happen, V&S wouldn't even be close to #1. Oh, wait, Venus already isn't.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I think they should convert all major tier ones like Miami, Indian Wells, Acura Classic, German and Italian open, and the other. The williams sisters need to be punished for only playing 9 tournaments a year. Its not fair and it would bring more oraganism to the tour because why would they have some stupid clay tournament during hardcourt season

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Tokyo, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, San Diego, Toronto/Montreal, Zurich, Moscow......

I've always had doubts about Zurich and Moscow being Tier I events, after all, these two plus Tokyo required the top players to only play 4 matches a week whereas the other Tier I's are either 5 or 6. The WTA Tier I's with the exception of Indian Wells, Miami, and Rome have lost their "aura" about them comparing to the men's masters series. I think its a good idea to try this one year;)

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
I think they should convert all major tier ones like Miami, Indian Wells, Acura Classic, German and Italian open, and the other. The williams sisters need to be punished for only playing 9 tournaments a year. Its not fair and it would bring more oraganism to the tour because why would they have some stupid clay tournament during hardcourt season

At this point in their careers I don't believe that Venus and Serena really would care about the #1 ranking. Well maybe Serena would.

But the Willies do it their way. They would just show up to win the tournaments that they do enter.

They may not play a whole lot but when they come to play, they come to win. :)

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I agree. I think there need only be five though (2 hardcourt, 1 clay, 1 grass, 1 carpet), and the season should be drastically shortened. We need more US/Asia tournaments, way less of Europe.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Oh please!:rolleyes:
They play what they want and when they want!
Despite the rankings they are still the one's to beat.
Also, V&S hold more power than some may think because when they leave this sport much of the new demographic they brought with them will leave with them, count on it!

Richard doesn't want his girls burned out and hating tennis as a result of playing all the time. They have many outside interest that make them well-rounded people. Tennis is not their entire life and they won't make it their entire life. When critics say then their ranking should be accordingly, remember, they aren't the one quarreling over it, it's everyone one else.

So, in conclusion,
they do what they want when they want and if people can't handle it, than sobeit! What people really don't seem to be able to handle is that they can do all those other things and still play tennis and do it damn well. If anything ooponent and critics should be glad they have outside interest, imagine if tennis was their main focus as it is for many other players!

Count your blessing!:angel:

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
couldnt agree more, the past few womens events have been so weak its unreal

ive always thought the women should adopt a format where peoples points are calculated from the 4 slams, the season enders, 7 or so masters series, plus the best of 5 events. thats 17, like they do now (which i believe is to much, but nevermind)

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
bwguy said:
Over the weekend, Allaster suggested adopting a format similar to the men's game, in which players are forced to attend elite-level tournaments. Skipping a stop on the Masters Series is costly in ranking points.

Without the same incentives on the WTA Tour, many of the women are cancelling at the last minute regardless of the prize money available.
To be fair, most of those players are skipping because injuries prevent them from playing.

Also, it doesn't appear that many of the top players particularly care about ranking points anyway.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
sunset said:
I understand their frustration and I think the tour will benefit if WTA adopted a masters series type of format. However when players are injured- players injured- fines or reduction in rankings points won't help an injured player recover in time to play a tournament!
I'm with this post. :D

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
jbone's name in real life just might be Charlie Pasarell. :eek: LOL

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
Justine and Kim cannot carry toronto? They should be able to do so. They still have daniela, amelie, mary, and a few others.

All this whining will not help the tour either. If someone is injured then you cannot force them to play.

You now see the ATP having problems with the players because of this type of masters series. Not every player wants to be forced to play week in and week out. If this is implemented, you will see the same reaction by alot of players about this being unfair.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
harloo said:
Justine and Kim cannot carry toronto? They should be able to do so. They still have daniela, amelie, mary, and a few others.

All this whining will not help the tour either. If someone is injured then you cannot force them to play.

You now see the ATP having problems with the players because of this type of masters series. Not every player wants to be forced to play week in and week out. If this is implemented, you will see the same reaction by alot of players about this being unfair.

Well thats what this whole thread is about. Maybe some players dont want to play and are too busy with other things?? They deserved to get points taken away. Its not unfair, you either play or dont play. If you dont play their are consequences. Its unfair that some people give 100% to the tour and play 20+ tournament and you see somebody ranked ahead of you playing 9 tournament. In a way its shows how good of a player they are, but in another instence, its not fair that they play -11 less tournaments than you. Their playing week after week. I mean if you were to lose 1st round. Atleast you cared enought not to do a late withdrawal and show up. About the venus incident, look at Wayne Ferriera, at RG he pulled his hamstring and look hes playing and venus has a stomach strain and still isn't play. Get better Venus

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
A tournament director with the world #1 is complaining. Won't Kim and Justine be enough to draw attention to Toronto?? What's the problem?? Someone give me an answer!!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Well thats what this whole thread is about. Maybe some players dont want to play and are too busy with other things?? They deserved to get points taken away. Its not unfair, you either play or dont play. If you dont play their are consequences. Its unfair that some people give 100% to the tour and play 20+ tournament and you see somebody ranked ahead of you playing 9 tournament. In a way its shows how good of a player they are, but in another instence, its not fair that they play -11 less tournaments than you. Their playing week after week. I mean if you were to lose 1st round. Atleast you cared enought not to do a late withdrawal and show up. About the venus incident, look at Wayne Ferriera, at RG he pulled his hamstring and look hes playing and venus has a stomach strain and still isn't play. Get better Venus
You're comparing a hamstring to an abdominal strain?? That's like comparing apples with hamburgers. They are two different parts of the body and take a different amount of time to heal.

Oh yes, Wayne Ferreira played Roland Garros with an injury, but wait, so did Venus.

Wayne Ferreira also played in LA the other week, and what happened?? He retired in his next match in Canada.

Penalized for not playing enough?? Give me a break. That is th emost stupidest thing I have ever heard.

You just show how much you hate the Williams with every post, yet, you feign to be a fan. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
jbone_0307 said:

Please, Wayne Fererria only showed up because he was trying to keep a 53 slams played streak going.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts