Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
tiresome, yes, but maria doesn't have the luxury of time anymore. if she wants to make waves, her tennis must improve and at a consistent level. maybe we're being overly harsh considering this is a nightmare matchup for her, but it's demoralising af knowing she can barely last two matches these days without her body breaking or her tennis going awol. if she had lost a well-fought match today I genuinely think this thread would read very different.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
Yeah I feel like she should at least give herself another season given injuries wrote this one off. Ultimately it is her decision. She has showed the game is still there despite several horrific flops. It's being healthy enough to play consistently and get her level up. Movement will only improve with more match play.

I've no expectations for USO but she should definitely play Asian swing and try find some form and points heading into next season.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
She hits the ball nowhere near hard enough these days to compensate for her weak movement and always unpredictable serve.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I don't think Maria is able to magic up form and confidence just like that.

It takes time and matches - she has hardly had any matches all year and she is coming back from surgery which puts on an added pressure.

Just cut her some slack, the results and form aren't great and tbh if she stays healthy I'm not expecting either to really pick up until the earliest next year.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It wasn’t all negative today though. She played some excellent points at times and that game when she was down 0-2 in the 2nd set and had multiple chances to break could have changed the match had she won it. She currently has a lot of trouble stringing good points together. Probably due to a lack of confidence, which stems from a lack of match play obviously.There is still hope but she can’t afford another injury.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
I think some of the comments in here are beyond harsh

I get you're all upset she lost but I think your expectations of her right now and at this point in her career are way too high.

Be greatful she is playing and giving her best. She may get a little bit better if she can stay healthy but she will not be the world beater she once was no matter how much we want her to be.

Appreciate the time we have left with her on court and dumb down the expectations.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Surely you would know the answer to that if you have had a look at Piatti's coaching history.

Obviously useless is unnecessary when he hasn't been at her side at a tournament.
Well, if you look at his history as a co-coach, he had some success with Gasquet and Raonic. But at the time, these two players both had a former top player co-coaching them: Gasquet had Grosjean, Raonic had Ljubicic. Whom does Pova have? Alex Kuznetsov, not particularly an inspiring figure.

In recent memory, most of the part-time partnerships in WTA were fruitless and short-lived, with examples like Wozniacki-Johansson, Radwanska-Navratilova, Clijsters-Wickmayer. Muguruza-Martinez was a success, which brought Garbi the 2017 Wimbledon title, but Muguruza had been a serious grand slam contender since 2016, so that title wasn't really unexpected. Their working relationship lasted only nine months.

Is a part-time co-coach enough for Pova to get out of her current terrible situation? I don't believe it is. And I'm not sure whether Piatti can be labeled as a "part-time coach", as opposed to an "advisor", if he only attends her biggest tournaments. Wartime consiglieri may work fine for mafias, but not so well for tennis players. I can only hope "Piatti at big events + Kuznetsov at smaller ones" won't be the arrangement for the rest of her career and she will hire a competent full-time coach a few months later.

·
Registered
15,221 Posts

I get you're all upset she lost but I think your expectations of her right now and at this point in her career are way too high.

Be greatful she is playing and giving her best. She may get a little bit better if she can stay healthy but she will not be the world beater she once was no matter how much we want her to be.

Appreciate the time we have left with her on court and dumb down the expectations.
I would if she didn't disappear for massive chunks due to her body breaking down.

·

On a serious note :spit: at some of the reactions in here. Calls for her to retire. Why now? She played shitty against Riske too, it's just that Riske is a far inferior player to Barty. Where were the calls for her to retire after the Riske match? I'm just glad she's playing. The lowest point for Maria IMO was at Shenzhen when she was playing like shit and then retired mid-match against Sabalenka. I honestly thought there was no point in her continuing anymore because she couldn't string together like 2 matches even though she'd had a long lay-off in the off season. However she got surgery in Feb and the last 3 matches she's played she seems to be fit, so :shrug:

·
Registered
503 Posts

Appreciate what? That players she would have no problem beating in the past are humiliating her on the court? Making her run left to right, because nothing in her weak game works? She isnt hitting hard, isnt fast enough, her serve is not good enough? Sorry but I am not here to watch her losing every match with such an easy score.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
she's in a vicious circle, she barely plays 2 matches in 2 months, she barely wins a couple of matches, ranking doesn't improve so playing only big events put her in the position to face early a player able to expose easily her current low level of game. So few matches, few wins, her game doesn't improve, her fitness doesn't improve, her ranking doesn't improve and most important thing her confidence still fucked up. End of story.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
There have been plenty of matches where she has still been whacking the ball. Her game is built of confidence, in trusting herself to go for the big shots and make them. She herself has said she's low on that right now. She's never been a player that comes back and plays lights out straight away. She's played what 10/11 matches all year? Like it or not Barty is no scrub and has a game that could give Masha trouble even if she was in form.
Her serve is improving. She can practice all she wants but the anticipation and movement will only be able to improve with match play and she hasn't been able to do that. The earliest we can hope for consistent form is Asia but more realistically early next season.

·
Registered
961 Posts
She definitely has to play a smaller events. No point of playing only on a big stages with lack of form, confidence and ranking.

And there is also a reason why she wanted to end her career in 2017. If not Meldonium it would be the second season without her.
She's getting older and coming back from injuries will be much tougher than it was back in 2009. And even then she still needed two whole seasons to start play superb tennis.
Unfortunately she's lack of time also, but if she still wants to play, I believe she can be in top form again. She just needs to be healthy.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts