Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Why did I even bother having some hopes? After leading 3-1, she won 2 of the last 13 games. Bravo. That game at *3-2 was really stupid, she had that great volley, okay, I will give her that, but 2 DFs and 2 routine errors. Definition of how to destroy your own momentum as quick as possible and in the easiest way. From that moment, it was all Barty. Horrendous performance. She should feel ashamed and nobody should defend this performance from her, seriously. Y’all can do that for her Toronto loss but not this one. Onto R2 loss of USO (if she is lucky to face an easy unseeded player in R1).

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
4-6 1-6 flop loss to Barty :facepalm:

Maria
16 Winners 31 UEs :help:
Barty
18 Winners 21 UEs

BPs won: 1 of 7 :eek:

Very weak match from Maria.

Mentally weak.
Very weak movement :tape:

Maria is sooo far away from her best form.

I think she is done.
Her level is just sooo bad.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
No point in being overly negative given the circumstances, but her game was pretty terrible today, bar the first serve when she got it in.

Played alright in the first few games, and then randomly stopped going for it for about five games, until she was already down a break in set 2. She seemed to lack energy on the backhand side at times with the low slice, which I can kind of forgive, but the forehand was pretty crap throughout the entire match which is something she can't get away with.

Obviously her fitness isn't gonna be at its peak today, but she was really, really slow at times reacting to returns and even some rally balls to the backhand in particular. Not sure whether that's partially a result of the forearm issues she had recently and it's kind of her being used to not wanting to have to hit that shot? Her footwork was definitely lacking though anyway.

Lots to work on for New York!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Barty wasn't even that good lmao, this is so sad but at least expected for me and maybe this is the worst thing.

Regardless what she says that I really don't care I wonder how many of these miserable pathetic performance she will tolerate again before hanging the racket.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Her forehand is absolute bullshit of shot right now. Nothing left from quite promising start of the year in respect to that wing.

Without that even stronger shoulder is not going to help her to go through matches. Sad, because there was some signs at the early stage of the match, but it didn't last long...

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
Barty was barely even trying lmao, she was even got annoyed late in the match for not getting the bagel sooner. I'm so sick of matches like this where not one thing goes right, from 3-2 up she just self-destructed for no reason. her movement isn't good enough to hit middle of the road shots with barely any speed. she'll be lucky to win two matches at the uso.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Why Maria even bother at this point? How many times we have to see it over and over again. Maria have to realize at some point that is not working anymore and face the end of her career

·
Registered
625 Posts
Too many UE’s. So sloppy in many aspects of the game. Saw a lot of deceleration on the backhand side, actually pushing the ball at times. Forehand was just spraying, no accuracy at all. Barty just kept the ball in, mixed the pace up and that was too much for Maria to handle. It’s gonna be tough at the uso. She needs a very kind draw in order to make any noise. How many more embarrassing losses can she take before deciding it is over?

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I didn't expect much else.
She hasn't played enough to handle these types of matches.

If only she could stay healthy, maybe she'll have a shot at improving her game.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think it is true her game is outdated and more athletic girls coming in. And that movement? She is slow as a turtle, just terrible to watch her. Definitely it is the time to think about retiring.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts