51,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe Masha's next tournament is here in Toronto :D

Rogers Cup
Toronto, Canada
August 10-16, 2015
Hard

Please try to finally win this title! :D

Another title still missing from our girl's collection :eek: This title is currently the only Premier 5 title missing from her trophy collection. Her best result was 2009 losing to Dementieva in the final of Toronto.

Maria will begin her US Open series campaign at the Rogers Cup in Toronto.

Toronto begins on August 10th and Maria will be making her seventh appearance at the Rogers Cup which alternates each year between Toronto and Montreal. Maria's best result was reaching the final in 2009.

Past Canadian results:

2003 - unseeded
Toronto
R1 lost to Elena Likhovtseva (Rus) 6-7 1-6

2004 - seed 6
Montreal
R1 Bye
R2 def. Kristina Brandi (USA) 6-1 6-4
R3 lost to Vera Zvonareva (Rus) (10) 6-4 4-6 4-6

2008 - seed 3
Montreal
R1 Bye
R2 def. Marta Domachowska (Pol) 7-5 5-7 6-2
R3 lost to Ai Sugiyama (Jpn) w/o

2009 - unseeded
Toronto
R1 def. Nadia Petrova (Rus) (10) 6-3 6-4
R2 def. Sybille Bammer (Aut) 6-3 7-6
R3 def. Vera Zvonareva (Rus) (7) 6-2 7-6
QF def. Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol) (14) 6-2 7-6
SF def. Alisa Kleybanova (Rus) 6-2 4-6 6-4
F lost to Elena Dementieva (Rus) (4) 4-6 3-6

2011 - seed 5
Toronto
R1 Bye
R2 def. Bojana Jovanovski (Srb) 6-1 7-5
R3 lost to Galina Voskoboeva (Kaz) 3-6 5-7

2014 – seed 4
Montreal
R1 Bye
R2 def. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 4-6 6-3 6-1
R3 lost to Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) (14) 2-6 6-4 2-6

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I am planning to attend again so please don't get injured and withdraw again right before the tournament just like the last 2 times I attended the tournaments (Beijing 2011 and Toronto 2013). :sobbing: I still haven't met you in person :tears:

A photo I took a few days ago on my way to work :lol:

1 more week to go before I finally see @mariasharapova in person! ���� Hopefully, after 2 previous failed attempts due to her injuries lol. #RogersCup #CanadianOpen #Tennis

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If it wasn't for 2009, her record would be a nightmare. :help: The years in San Diego were much more successfull. Peak HC Pova. I remember watching her in 2007 on Eurosport. Oh, the time when Eurosport used to broadcast almost every WTA tournament. :sobbing:

·
Registered
24,993 Posts
Maria's most tragic tournament of the year :hysteric:

Just get to the quarters for the first time in 84 years, Maria :spit:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Too early to tell. As much as she loves fast courts, she hasn't taken advantage of the grass, playing seriously passive tennis. (Just watched HL of WC SF, she totally deserves the loss despite Serena's unreturnable serves.) Shall be playing with more angles and step into the court from now on, hopefully her team gets it, otherwise we'll witness another tragic US journey.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
Too early to tell. As much as she loves fast courts, she hasn't taken advantage of the grass, playing seriously passive tennis. (Just watched HL of WC SF, she totally deserves the loss despite Serena's unreturnable serves.) Shall be playing with more angles and step into the court from now on, hopefully her team gets it, otherwise we'll witness another tragic US journey.
if you think she was passive against serena then I don't know what you would call her performance against Coco :tears:

·
SharaFamily
21,154 Posts
The second set against Serena was 5-4. Serena served an ace, then double faulted. Then 2 more aces and an unreturnable to make Maria the sixth player of seven she eliminated at Wimbledon.

Shame on Maria.
Shame what?
Maria was so lucky to have that scoreline
Rewatch it and tell me how many point she won not based on Serena's UE.
She was terrible.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Time to put Wimledond behimd us perhaps? No-ones really happy with how she played, but her prep wasn't ideal, and she made the semis.

Let's hope for a decent hard-court season, it's been years since she's had a good one it seems.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
After a successful Wimbledon in 2011, Maria lost in her second matches in both Stanford and Canada before winning Cincinnati.

Maria had another successful Wimbledon; but barring any injuries, my hunch is Maria will peak from now to the end of 2015.

Go Maria!

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kvittypova. :eek:h:

Not sure what to make of this tournament. There's not actually that much time until the USO, so we need to see some sign of improving form fast. On the other hand, it is Canada, so one victory might be all we'll get. :sobbing:

Let's start with staying healthy, at least! :bounce:

1 - 20 of 152 Posts