Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any really nice Tori Amos songs I can dowload?

I already 'Winter', 'Me and a Gun', 'Silent All These Years', '1000 Oceans', 'Mother' and 'Girl'.

Songs preferably similar to 'Winter' and 'Girl' and not on the album 'Little Eathrquakes'.

Thanks!!! :kiss:

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
hey jupiter [the dakota version] - from Tori's Boys for Pele...etc etc etc...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Wild Horses :D

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
ooh, theres billions. If its tearjerking ballads you´re after, try:

the Doughtnut song
Putting the Damage On
Hey jupiter (these are three of the best, IMO)
Caught a Lite Sneeze
(from Boys for Pele)

Cloud on my Tongue
Past the Mission
(from Under the Pink)

Northern Lad
Jackie´s Strength
(from From the Choirgirl Hotel)

Sugar
Honey
Here in my Head
(b-sides)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! a Tori thread!!!

:tries to calm down:

As well as the ones already mentioned:

Lust (from To Venus And Back)

Baker Baker
Icicle
Bells For Her
Pretty Good Year (from Under The Pink)

Spark
Pandora's Aquarium (from From The Choirgirl Hotel)

Horses
Father Lucifer
Marianne (from Boys For Pele)

Check out the live version of Honey from the Hey Jupiter EP, and the Tornado mix of Talula (not the original, that's dreadful).

Other b-sides: Sister Janet, Alamo, Cooling, Purple People (Christmas In Space), Never Seen Blue.

Covers - Time, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Famous Blue Raincoat, Angie, New Age, Do It Again, Enjoy The Silence, Rattlesnakes...

Really, though, just pick any random song - there's a 99% chance it'll be amazing. (Just avoid the original Talula, Sister Named Desire and - I can't believe JonBcn likes this - Past The Mission.) :D

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Williams_Rulez: Wild Horses. Do you mean the Sundays? They did a version of that as a b-side (somehow wound up on the Buffy TV soundtrack).

As for Tori Tearjerkers; I think all bases have been covered.

Though dooooo check out the 'venus....still orbiting' disc of To Venus and Back. It goes very dreamy; Josephine, 1000 Oceans (a 'proper' love song from Tori???? Spring Haze ( :drool: ) and Datura. Riot Proof too.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
sartrista7Really, though, just pick any random song - there's a 99% chance it'll be amazing. (Just avoid the original Talula, Sister Named Desire and - I can't believe JonBcn likes this - Past The Mission.) :D [/B]

And I always thought that you were my long lost taste in music twin!! PTM is great (except, granted for the high pitched syllable at the beginning of each verse, but thats just nitpicking). You´re right though about the other two songs, the only two duff songs out of 200+ that Tori has done!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
That high-pitched syllable is the ONLY reason I dislike PTM (and I do love the chorus and they 'hey they found a body...' section) - I think we're still long-lost music twins ;) . It's better with the video, though - the Jude Law-lookalike preacher, :drool:

Even Talula's a fundamentally good song - the Tornado mix is fantastic - but she lost her way a bit with the arrangement.

I'd agree with thefreedesigner - Venus is a total trip (Datura especially), Tori flying off at random, unexpected, thrilling musical tangents with every line. Riot Poof is a GREAT going-out song. Spring Haze is like a, well, spring haze. After ten songs like that, 1000 Oceans is like snowflakes on hot coals (copyright the Q review of Venus).

Choirgirl's still my fave, though...

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Boys For Pele would have to be my fave, if only for the sheer diversity of tracks on there.

I used to be a little bit irked by the harpischord on that album (which was my initial reason for not liking Talula) though, but it grows on you in time.

Hopefully there´ll be a new album of original material by the end of the year, Strange Little Girls was great, but not as good as her own stuff...

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
SLG was intriguing more as philosophical/artistic commentary - it really made you think and hey, that's what's art is supposed to do, right? And she pulled it off pretty well (apart from Happiness - and even then, on a purely sonic level it's cool). Ooh, I've always loved the harpsichord on Pele, though - Blood Roses, how amazing is that song. For me, Choirgirl really confirms her status as the greatest songwriter/rock artist of our generation, with the sheer scale of the experimentation and emotion involved.

There'll be a new album of original material later this year, probably released around September, and she'll be touring with a full band. Tori's mentioned one song she's writing for it called 'Fresh Mown Grass', which is about the female orgasm. Nice. Absolutely cannot wait...

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Major Tori ear with feet here!
I couldn't begin to try and recommend any songs as I love all the albums plus there are so many songs for so many moods and situations that unless I knew how you were feeling I would be unable to help.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
MirjanaFan - is that Heather Nova in your avatar? Another great singer/songwriter. I *loved* her first two albums.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Yes it is Heather Nova. One of my total all time favourites. I enjoy all her albums. Glow Stars is a particular favourite but I'm enthusiastic about all 4 studio albums plus the three live ones.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks guys!

I have just found a new love for Tori Amos and her piano. I worship her piano playing skills. I wish I could play like that and the melodies are so beautiful especially the piano to "Winter". The start of the song is just so........ I can't really explain it.

I'm buying "Little Earthquakes" tomorrow. What's the next best album to get after that?

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
You should buy them in chronological order; that way you´ll progress through the works as Tori brought them out, and its interesting to see her styles develop...In order the albums were:

Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and back
Strange Little Girls.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Finally, a Tori Amos thread :)

I would definitely buy her albums instead of downloading songs, and I agree the best idea would probably be to buy them in chronological order (particular as -dare I say it- Strange Little Girls was a bit disappointing for me)

Of songs that are not on any of her albums my top 3 would probably be: Siren (BTW I would recommend the soundtrack of "Great Expectations" it has some other good songs as well), Here in My Head and Never Seen Blue. Cooling would definetely top that list if it wasn't on the live album. The only download I have that might be interesting is a song called "butterfly".

BTW: nice to see some posters from way back when I was on the Sanex board :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts