Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
A top player can travel with a coach a physio but the physio stays at the hotel, right?

The WTA has the power to only give one "plus one" accreditation per player but they can't block someone from traveling, can't they? The only way that is possible is if they negotiate special travel/quarantine exempts with some countries.

Serena and Federer aren't going anywhere if they have to leave their kids behind for a whole month.

It's also unfair because players like Halep and Serena could bring a hitting partner and still have their coaches around as they work for ESPN and Eurosport.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
What's WTA got to do with how many there are in a player's crew and their travel arrangements and hotel rooms?

They should focus on THEIR job: the logistics of what happens on and off court around the matches (controlling access to the maximum number of people who should be present at one time when a player is on a practice court for example). What happens far away in the hotel rooms and airports is moot.

Also this limits not only the richer players but also the lower ranked ones (those traveling with parents).

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
It sounds stupid. But its still months away and lets see if Serena and Kim speak up about it.
I understand they want social distancing, but they need to use common sense and understand they are dealing with traveling families

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
NOOOO! Back to ITF, so AVU will win a slam. Kenin and Garcia must be the only top 50 who travel with one person on their team.

·
Registered
35,771 Posts
That has to mean one person on site. There is no way that the WTA or ITF can impose a limit on the number of people that a player brings to a city.

Assuming the US Open happens, players will deal with it though. Everyone will be in the same boat and I'd be shocked if the top players miss out on a Grand Slam because a hitting partner or personal physio can't be on site with them.

If anything, top players outside of the US might decide it's not worth being away from home for 7-8 weeks to play Cincinnati/USO and do two weeks of quarantine on both ends.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
That has to mean one person on site. There is no way that the WTA or ITF can impose a limit on the number of people that a player brings to a city.

Assuming the US Open happens, players will deal with it though. Everyone will be in the same boat and I'd be shocked if the top players miss out on a Grand Slam because a hitting partner or personal physio can't be on site with them.

If anything, top players outside of the US might decide it's not worth being away from home for 7-8 weeks to play Cincinnati/USO and do two weeks of quarantine on both ends.
I also think it is one person on site . There are also reports that players will be asked to leave as quick as possible after the match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
The main thing I want to see is... players handling their own towels. No ball kids should have to touch anything the player has touched.
This should include players removing the covers from their racquets themselves, fetching drinks from fridges themselves.

If this happens I doubt you'll see players towel off as much as they do now - and we'll all see how unnecessary it actually is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts