Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
39,848 Posts
Heavy topspin forehand 90% of the time, 10% of the time hard & flat when going for a inside out winner.

Flat laser like backhand 90% of the time, 10% of the time heavy and spinning when I feel like messing with my opponents timing.

·
Registered
18,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Changing my Federer FH (a mix of bevel 3 and 4, I couldn't believe a top player like him had a weird grip like me haha) to a semi western. I have a tourney in November, so hoping I can get it working in time. Otherwise I will have no weapons apart from depth on the BH, as my serve has been horrible lately:scared: Will stick with the flat DTL returns though, still very useful:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clearly its great to have diversity. I think everyone who plays tennis is a bit here or a bit there but what tennis needs is something a bit new. Like a new spin.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Mostly flat, but I added some spin compared to when I started to play (almost 30 years ago). 100% flat hit is virtually impossible with current materials.
Always enjoyed slice, on the other hand.

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
I prefer to hit a flat ball, but the top spin keeps the errors down :lol:

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
it depends. When I play against a good topspin player, i tend to play much flatter and If I'm playing a flat hitter, I tend to hit more topspin.
When I play against Juniors, I have to play flat and end points quickly, cuz those little bitches can topspin and run you ragged all day. They usually play against other topspin players so once you start hitting flat bombs deep, the weak replies come easily.

Older players tend to hit the ball flatter and have less extreme grips. They don't handle topspin as much so I play more topspin. Still deep shots though. it's a minor change in the swing path but it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really depends on your grip and swing. The goal is essentially to have the best possible unforced errors/winners ratio. Some achieve that with more and some with less spin.

The general rule is thought that the more spin, the saver is your stroke. The challenge now is though to hit that ball as aggressive as possible. that's my take on it :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Topspin mostly unless I'm trying a lot of variety to mess with opponent. Backhand I mix it up depending on shot location.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would also say that it depends. I normally play more flat shots but then I sometimes start with ballbashing. With flat shots I sometimes loses the line between controlled aggression and bashing. I use top spin often to create good points. I really often use these shots when playing against pushers or really aggressive players in order to let them make errors. I use top spin too when I make too many errors as a plan b.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
I use both interchangeably. I'm more of a grinder but I will take a big cut at the ball so I need to have both.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Neither, my balls often tend out to be sorta loopy but without substantial amount of topspin :tape: :lol:

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
I play according to my opponent mostly, but generally I like to hit topspin into the corners, so that it kicks away behind the opponent, and flat on the angles to give less time to the opponent to run it in. If someone bullies me with their top spin (which is very seldom in my league) I tend to jump and just push the ball back as deep as I can get it. My preferred shot is top spin, which is soooooo effective when it lands on the baseline and in the corners!!!

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,071 Posts
Flat. I hit more loopy top spin shots mostly when I'm off the baseline and there's no way to be aggressive.

I am not a very good player though :eek:h:

My BH is almost 100% a junkballing mess. Slice, moving between 1-and 2-handed BHs, looping, random aggression. Mess :inlove:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like topspin for consistent shots to the baseline, flat shots tend to fly lower and catch the net more often. I'm sure it depends on how much pace is on the incoming ball too.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Mainly topspin on the forehand. I like to hit a lower-bouncing flat backhand. But I've been trying to hit it with more spin in the past few months, but it's not like I do less errors since I started doing it :lol: I guess I'm still getting used to it and in the future I'll reduce the errors. But sometimes flat is much more effective to hit winners or to try to go to the net, so I still use it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My forehand is the barometer of my game, if it's "on" with nice control and mix up spin and speed, i can play well, if it's "off", it can be a disaster and then i can make 482948 unfortunate errors.
My serve and backhand are rather solid, a work in progress though.
Need to improve my on-court positioning in order to make my shots more efficient in certain situations and my mental strength in difficult situations, too (not bad, but could be better).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm glad to read all your posts knowing that I'm not the only one with messy backhand :lol:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts