Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Smith Topples Spider-Man 2 at U.S. Box Office

1 hour, 7 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Will Smith ended the two-week reign of "Spider-Man 2" at the North American box office as his sci-fi thriller "I, Robot" opened with better-than-expected weekend ticket sales of about $53.3 million, the film's distributor said on Sunday!!!

The film marks the fifth consecutive summer hit for 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp.'s Fox Entertainment Group Inc .

The studio had hoped the film would open in the $40 million range for the three days beginning Friday, said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution at Fox. It was budgeted in the $100 million to $120 million range, he said. If estimates hold when final numbers are released on Monday, it will mark Smith's best opening, surpassing the $52.2 million bow of "Men in Black II" in 2002.

"There's a coldness to the science-fiction genre, but Will Smith brings a warmth to it and makes it palatable for the ladies," Snyder said.

Indeed, audiences for the film were evenly split both by gender, and either side of 25 years of age, Snyder said.

Loosely based on a story by Isaac Asimov, "I, Robot" is set in the year 2035, when robots are integrated into society. Smith plays a Chicago cop who suspects a machine has committed murder. Alex Proyas ("Dark City") directed and Bridget Moynahan co-starred.

SPIDER-MAN HITS $300 MILLION

Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites)'s "Spider-Man 2" slipped to No. 2 with $24.2 million, taking its total to $301.7 million after three weekends, or 19 days. Its 2002 predecessor took 22 days to hit $300 million. However it was too early to tell whether the new film would reach the $403 million total of the first one, said an official at Sony's Columbia Pictures unit.

Actress-singer Hilary Duff's new movie, "A Cinderella Story," opened at No. 3 with $13.8 million, which was "right on target," said Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution at Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros. Pictures. However, it paled against the recent $24.4 million bow of "Mean Girls," starring Duff's teenage rival, Lindsay Lohan.

Budgeted at about $19 million, "A Cinderella Story" revolves around a Los Angeles schoolgirl who finds her Prince Charming (Chad Michael Murray) in an online chat room. The audience was composed mainly of young girls and their mothers, Fellman said.

The Will Ferrell (news) comedy "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" fell two places to No. 4 with $13.4 million in its second weekend, taking its total to $56.5 million. The $26 million movie, set in the politically incorrect newsroom of a 1970s TV station, was released by closely held DreamWorks SKG.

Michael Moore's anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" slipped one place to No. 5 with $7.0 million. After four weeks, it has earned $93.8 million. It was released by Lions Gate Films, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp, and by IFC Films, a unit of Cablevision Systems Corp's Rainbow Media Holdings.

Walt Disney Co.'s period fable "King Arthur," which opened disappointingly last weekend, fell three places to No. 6 with $6.9 million, giving it a $37.9 million total. The film was reportedly budgeted at more than $90 million. It lost 54 percent of its audience from last weekend, the biggest drop in the top 10. A Disney spokesman was unavailable for comment.

The top 12 movies grossed $137.8 million for the weekend, according to tracking firm Exhibitor Relations, virtually unchanged from both last weekend and the year-ago period, when Smith's "Bad Boys II" opened at No. 1 with $46.5 million. New releases next weekend include "The Bourne Supremacy," starring Matt Damon (news), and "Catwoman," starring Halle Berry (news).

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:)

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "I, Robot," $52.25 million.

2. "Spider-Man 2," $24.2 million.

3. "A Cinderella Story," $13.8 million

4. "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy," $13.4 million.

5. "Fahrenheit 9/11," $7 million.

6. "King Arthur," $6.9 million.

7. "The Notebook," $5.45 million.

8. "White Chicks," $3.4 million.

9. "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story," $3.2 million.

10. "The Terminal," $3.1 million.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
my mom fell asleep a couple of times during the movie.

or so my sister told me. i saw harry potter again, and had a marvelous time.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
I,robot was great :bounce: Caught the premiere and I'm definitely going to see it again :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
it was much better than spiderman 2! excellent movie!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
contrasting views on here already i see...... :)

·
15,168 Posts
deckham said:
contrasting views on here already i see...... :)
There's always contrasting views, it's what makes the world a great place :wavey: ...until people start imposing their views :tape::lol:

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
I probably won't like it because IMO the robots look stupid in the previews but I love Will so I'll catch a matinee when I can to keep his fine rich ass even richer. LOL

·
15,168 Posts
Dana Marcy said:
...but I love Will so I'll catch a matinee when I can to keep his fine rich ass even richer. LOL
Tell me about it! :drool: There's a scene in the beginning where he gets out of bed in boxer briefs and....:drool:

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Dana Marcy said:
I probably won't like it because IMO the robots look stupid in the previews but I love Will so I'll catch a matinee when I can to keep his fine rich ass even richer. LOL

Which is why you should go see it. There is a Nekkid Butt shot in the movie and they do two close up on his croutch in boxes.

·
15,168 Posts
Ballbuster said:
Which is why you should go see it. There is a Nekkid Butt shot in the movie and they do two close up on his croutch in boxes.
:drool: Hot stuff! Jada is a lucky gal :D

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I, Robot looks stupid to me as well but since I like Will Smith too it is tempting to watch lmao

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I, Robot?? Why wasn't my George cast?? His acting is more robotic than anyone else in Hollywood!

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
Ballbuster said:
Big deal :rolleyes: you can see Will in all his glory on WILD WILD WEST DVD - not my kind of cookie!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
jrm said:
Big deal :rolleyes: you can see Will in all his glory on WILD WILD WEST DVD - not my kind of cookie!

But it is my kind of Cookie!!!!!

your kind of cookie is not my kind of cookie and that's fine by me. But I like looking at this chocolate ass.

·
15,168 Posts
FraziersFan said:
Not as lucky as you would be if your were my B O i ;) :drool: :bounce: :bounce:
:lol::D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts