Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(from eurosport's website)

World number five Juan Carlos Ferrero has withdrawn from the Sydney international tournament starting on Sunday because of a knee injury, officials said on Saturday. "He contacted tournament director Craig Watson and told us a knee injury was still giving him problems," tournament spokesman Craig Gabriel said on Saturday.

"The details are still sketchy but I believe he suffered the injury while training about four weeks ago."

The Spaniard's absence moves Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean, the world number six, up to top seed in the January 6-12 event, which is a warm-up for the Australian Open starting on January 14 in Melbourne.

Australia's world number one Lleyton Hewitt, the defending champion in the Sydney international, is unavailable for the tournament because of chicken pox and world number one women's player Lindsay Davenport withdrew this week with a knee injury.

Switzerland's Roger Federer is second seed ahead of American teenager Andy Roddick.

Roddick said his preparations for his Australian campaign had been hampered by a baggage mix-up.

"I haven't been able to do any training because I haven't got any clothes," he said.

World number 16 Roddick plays Australian wild card Andrew Ilie in the first round.

"He's probably one of my favourite players to watch," Roddick said. "He's so exciting and has every shot so it's going to be tough."

The top four seeds in the women's draw, Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis, Kim Clijsters and Serena Williams, have first-round byes. Switzerland's Hingis beat Davenport in last year's final.

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know :(, and he was really looking forward to making a good performance at the Oz Open coz last year he lost in the 2nd or 3rd round. He was confident he would play good tennis this time in Australia :( Let's hope he can get well soon

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
:( @ Ferrero's injury

LOL @ Roddick not being able to train because he has no clothes - as if he hasn't got enough money to buy some more !!!

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
Pfffff not a great start :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts