2) Agassi-age may get in the way but he brings it out on the big occasion

3) Moya-hasn't done well in a slam for ages though

4) Coria-a worry would be running out of steam playing best of 5 matches

5) Federer-solid clay court swing

·
Registered
40 Posts
My list :

1) :worship: Guga :worship: - I'm a Guga fan and always believe in Guga on clay AND on Roland Garros ...
2) Coria
3) Ferrero
4) Moya
5) Federer

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Other than Agassi, I have a feeling we should look at some "Mr. Nobodys" to take home the crown.

Anyone?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose Calleri and Gonzalez would be otsiders in with a chance but i wouldn't call then Mr nobodies

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Dina said:
I suppose Calleri and Gonzalez would be otsiders in with a chance but i wouldn't call then Mr nobodies
I mean according to names the general public might recognize. "Mr. Nobody" is a term I snatched from Eggy;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case anyone apart from Agassi, Kuerten and perhaps Moya Ferrero and Federer

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Rebecca said:
*wonders why it is that Agassi would be the only "name" with a shot to win; decides that there is no logic in this, and moves on*
Well, you should have asked what my thinking was instead of assuming there was no logic.

Agassi is the only one I think who has the game, fitness and most important *mental fortitude* to win RG.

Let's look at some of the main contenders:

1. Mosquito. I question his fitness after this last injury. Will he be able to go seven matches after being worn down playing so well and often during the clay season? Plus, there's the pressure to win and I question his ability to play pressure matches (see last year's final).

2. Federer. Again, goes blank in pressure situations.

3. Moya. Has been placing too much pressure on himself to win matches after declaring his desire to be No. 1 in the world. In order for him to do this, he will have to win Roland Garros, and thus putting more pressure on himself. He's trapped in a vicious cycle.

4. Guga's fitness is questionable after returning from a season of injury. I would give him another year.

5. Safin. Could win the whole thing. Could go out in the first round. Depends on if he needs money to buy that new ferrari he's been eyeing.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I mean according to names the general public might recognize. "Mr. Nobody" is a term I snatched from Eggy;)
I wouldn't put Gonzo in that category.
Calleri is a pretty good clay courter but other than that he would be in that category even though his game appeals to me.

My top 5
Ferrero
Coria
Federer
Agassi
Gaudio

Carlos has lost his backhand again, without that he's pretty impotent :( :(
I hope he can find that this week in Dusseldorf.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Agassi is the only one I think who has the game, fitness and most important *mental fortitude* to win RG.
Agassi has had limited matchplay, and just recently lost to David Ferrer - who is okay, but who Agassi really had no business losing to. However it *is* anybodies Roland Garros at this point, so certainly Agassi is along the contenders. I just happen to think he's going to get outplayed at some point, just like last year.

1. Mosquito. I question his fitness after this last injury. Will he be able to go seven matches after being worn down playing so well and often during the clay season? Plus, there's the pressure to win and I question his ability to play pressure matches (see last year's final).
Read his interviews. The injury was minor, and only started bothering him the week before. The doctor told him to take a few days rest; he's had two weeks. Assuming it's not more serious than he thought, imo, he's never been more prepared for RG than he is this year. He didn't need Hamburg, and it's a blessing in disguise that he wasn't able to play it.

Last years final=experience, which is something that people seem to totally overlook. "Ferrero lost it, thus he takes nothing away" seems to be the common thought about it. Which is wrong.

That said, I'm not saying he will win; but he's certainly a larger conteder than Agassi is, imo.

2. Federer. Again, goes blank in pressure situations.
Yup. But he has to have a good slam one of these days.

3. Moya. Has been placing too much pressure on himself to win matches after declaring his desire to be No. 1 in the world. In order for him to do this, he will have to win Roland Garros, and thus putting more pressure on himself. He's trapped in a vicious cycle.
You've failed to note the true knock against MOya going into RG. He hasn't made week two of a slam since 2001. That said, he hadn't been past the second round of RG before he won it the first time.

4. Guga's fitness is questionable after returning from a season of injury. I would give him another year.
I'm not picking Guga to win this year, and that is why. Roland Garros brings out a whole different Guga and all; but I have a hard time seeing him bounce back from all the early losses he's been having. He's lost his "invinsible" status on the dirt, it would seem (last time I said this he rallied from a 1-5 deficit to win the set and match though, so I should really have learned the first time).

5. Safin. Could win the whole thing. Could go out in the first round. Depends on if he needs money to buy that new ferrari he's been eyeing.
In case you haven't been keeping up (as seems to be the case), Safin might not even play Roland Garros. In which case the joke is in rather poor taste. Although if healthy, it's true.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Rebecca said:
In case you haven't been keeping up (as seems to be the case).
Can't you ever just state a reply without being snarky? I just gave you my opinions, you don't have to like them.

Reactions: thalle

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
TF, you're being a little hypocritical here - the snarkiness quotient in many of your posts can often be way off the Richter scale.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Hendouble said:
TF, you're being a little hypocritical here - the snarkiness quotient in many of your posts can often be way off the Richter scale.
Bingo.

Besides, if one doesn't know that Ferrero's injury wasn't reported to be serious, and that Marat might not even be playing, the logical conclusion is that they haven't been keeping up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Five of mine:
* Ferrero***********
* Federer
* Moya
* Agassi/Hewitt * the same percentage to win*
* Marat******

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I certainly don't agree Hewitt has the same percentage to win as Agassi. Agassi has won and been in the finals and has won one of the biggest European clay court tournaments.

Hewitt hasn't won a notable toournament on clay or even been in the finals of one. his best result at RG is a quarter final in which he was easily beaten and in his current form is struggling to beat a player ranked below 200

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
If I were laying odds:

1. Ferrero
2. Coria
3. Agassi (because he does things like this...he comes in as a non-entity and ends up winning the whole damn thing because he's an ass and everyone else is a wimp)
4. Gaudio
5. Moya

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Agassi non-entity... an ass.... everyone else a wimp... huh? As I understood it he wins because he plays great tennis and his very best is better than almost all of his nearest title contenders. I say this not as a dribbling Agassi fan, far from it, but Agassi on top form can deal with almost any other player on tour, save for a few dangermen.

Don't worry, if recent history is anything to go by he'll run out of steam and inspiration in the quarter-finals and have a fairly insipid loss to someone with good Roland Garros credentials. The French have been a nightmare for him - first the wiles of Grosjean, then the challenge of Mathieu which I think tired him out mentally for the quarters. Ferrero played well but not brilliantly, it was rather a mediocre match from both players.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Hendouble said:
Agassi non-entity...
Uh, in case you've been under a rock for a fortnight...Agassi is 0-1 on European clay this year. So there is no reason to consider him involved in the race for the title other than his career record...and it's so good that most everyone considers him a favorite in spite of his pathetic play over the last month...

an ass....
He is an ass, not only for his behavior, but because he can have months off-form and still win majors...

everyone else a wimp...
And even off-form, people can't beat him, because they often choke or play horribly.

As I understood it he wins because he plays great tennis and his very best is better than almost all of his nearest title contenders.
And I think everything I said proves that is exactly what I meant in my previous post...

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
snarkiness kills discussion regardless of who is doing it.

my picks are:

Guga...

would it be snarky of me to say that i don't really care about anybody else...? :p

1 - 20 of 155 Posts