Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don' think at this point Daniela Hantuchova has any business being in the top 10 anymore. She's been playing soo poorly it hurts. And I mean unlike Jelena Dokic, Daniela doesn't seem to have any outside stress that could be affecting her.

I think Vera Zvonoreva will be in the Top 10 in a year with the way she's been playing. She's great on all surfaces and she's extremely powerful. I would expect her to be able to defeat top 15ers by the US Open.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Vera will not be going beyond around 20 if she can't ever beat anyone in the top 7 =P

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
the first one who still dares to say that Justine Henin-Hardenne doesn't belong in the top 10 gets a slap ;) lol

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Vera should takes Daniela place
Dementieva should takes Anastasia place
yeah i think Dani deserves her place but she plays like a crap after her successfull moved to top 5.. Get better soon Dani, Get better soon Jelena :sad:

·
Registered
24,193 Posts
a lot of the girls are in the top ten that i dont think belong there. monica has beaten chanda twice alone this year, has beaten mauresmo, and the only reason she is low is because she sprained her ankle and hasn't played at dokic pace. my opinion: chanda (though i love her), dani, and myskina are up there a little too high because of monica's injury, but i can't think of any other player outside the top 10 who really deserves to be there. who has vera beaten?

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Really from Chanda thru Seles is not the best right now... Not playing due to injuries, or some are just pathetically struggling. So, anyone 8-13 could be moved up/down.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I think, it`s difficult to say who deserves a Top 10 ranking and who not.
If you say that e. g. Myskina, Chanda or Hantuchova don`t deserve their ranking in the top ten you perhaps offend their fans.

IMO players like Chanda, Hantuchova and Myskina/Dokic - they both change the 10th/11th spot very often - wouldn`t be Top 10 without Monica`s injury and Hingis`retirement - is she or not :confused:

Myskina, Hantuchova and Chanda had their results to reach the Top 10 but they have great results one week and the week after they lose in their first match.

To mention some players who I think should be in Top 10 because of their achievements in their carreers or because of their names, I say:

Dementiewa perhaps
Martinez
Monica
Hingis
Coetzer perhaps

·
Registered
959 Posts
per4ever said:
the first one who still dares to say that Justine Henin-Hardenne doesn't belong in the top 10 gets a slap ;) lol
LOL! :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I disagree with the premise of this question. EVERY ranked deserves to be where they are. Please be reminded that the WTA's ranking system is not like figure skating where the scores are subjective. Every ranking position is empirically derived, hence the question of who deserves what is irrevelant. What has been confusing to many including some on this board is the purpose of the ranking system. The ranking system that has been in existence for over 25 years is NOT to determine who the "BEST" player is. For that reason, the system has been attacked and derided by many in the media and message boards. That's unfortunate. The ranking system, with all of its flaws works.

Peace

Reactions: Joseosu19

·
Registered
956 Posts
calabar said:
I disagree with the premise of this question. EVERY ranked deserves to be where they are. Please be reminded that the WTA's ranking system is not like figure skating where the scores are subjective. Every ranking position is empirically derived, hence the question of who deserves what is irrevelant. What has been confusing to many including some on this board is the purpose of the ranking system. The ranking system that has been in existence for over 25 years is NOT to determine who the "BEST" player is. For that reason, the system has been attacked and derided by many in the media and message boards. That's unfortunate. The ranking system, with all of its flaws works.

Peace

Oops, I meant to say "EVERY ranked PLAYER deserves to be where they are"

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
none of them deserve to be there

this is the real top 10

1. Elena Bovina (Rus)
2. Elena Dementieva(Rus)
3. Anna Kournikova(Rus)
4. Svetlana Kuznetsova(Rus)
5. Lina Krasnoroutskaya(Rus)
6. Dinara Safina(Rus)
7. Elena Likhovtseva(Rus)
8. Vera Douchevina(Rus)
9. Maria Kirilenko(Rus)
10. Tatiana Panova(Rus)

:)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Nimi said:
Martinez & Coetzer in the top ten now? What have you been drinking?
I mentioned them because of their carreer achievements. Do you think Zwonarewa deserves a Top 10 ranking because she has reached two or three quarterfinals this season? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
it's extremely interesting that posters on this board think they have a right to claim who does or doesn't "deserve" to be in the top ten. most posters here aren't even registered with their nationl tennis associations, and they think they know who "deserves" a ranking or not.

i realize one can have his/her own opinions. but it is also my opinion that every girl in the top ten has earned those points placing them there. say what you will about the WTA ranking system, say what you will about how much those points mean, say what you will about how fair those points are. fact is, it's the same for all players. they all know EXACTLY how the system works and how to get the points they need to be top ten. if they are not top ten, they either don't care to go for the points to place them there, or they are incapable of getting the points. plain and simple.

:)

Reactions: selesfan

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well I think if you want an answer to who deserves to be there and who doesn't then you just have to wait a couple of weeks cos time reveals the truth and the time is now. Look at the last few weeks where we saw a lot "top ten-ers" fall. Now we know who have been faking the funk and who hasn't been faking it. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Daniela has reached 6 QF's (including the AO) and 1 SF so far this year. Steady if not spectacular with the odd shocker thrown inbetween. I think that's more than enough to justify a top ten place, and I certainly don't think Zvonereva can better that so far this year.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
GrahamD said:
Daniela has reached 6 QF's (including the AO) and 1 SF so far this year. Steady if not spectacular with the odd shocker thrown inbetween. I think that's more than enough to justify a top ten place, and I certainly don't think Zvonereva can better that so far this year.
Well said, but she needs to do better to show people that she is a CONSISTENT top 10 players.
Go DANI :cool:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The top 10 isn't there for nothing! Everyone who is in there has deserved it!!! They all have received the rankingpoints! :p :D

Reactions: selesfan

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
hollywood7172 said:
it's extremely interesting that posters on this board think they have a right to claim who does or doesn't "deserve" to be in the top ten. most posters here aren't even registered with their nationl tennis associations, and they think they know who "deserves" a ranking or not.
Don`t take it too serious! Perhaps the word "deserve" is not the best one used in this sentence. ;)

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
There is a clear difference between the ranking system and what most people perceives the ranking should be.

The ranking system, with all its flaws (it has a few) tries to measure performance.

People tend to look exclusively at tournaments wins, and forget about the rest, but getting to the semis, the finals, the quarters also counts.

I've seen posts comparing players just by the number of tournament they have won in a year, without considering the level of those tournaments, like winning 5 tier 5 is more than winning 1 tier 1.

That's why players like Capriati or Daniela don't look good on paper, because they haven't won a tournament in the last year but they have won matches, more matches (or more valuable matches) than the players behind them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts