Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Bush is destroying workers rights and outsourcing jobs instead of protecting the right to organize and creating new jobs rebuilding schools, bridges, roads and hospitals

2. Bush is privatizing Medicare, Social Security and public education with phony reforms instead of enacting health care for all, protecting retirement funds and full funding for public education through college.

3. Bush is bankrupting the Federal Government with giant tax cuts for the very rich and super-funds to the military instead of securing the budget for human needs by taxing the rich and spending on human needs.

4. Bush is rolling back civil rights gains instead of enforcing and expanding affirmative action to end racism in all areas of life.

5. Bush is curtailing women's rights and choice by undermining Roe v. Wade instead of upholding the right to choice and ending the gender wage gap.

6. Bush is abusing immigrant workers in low-wage jobs instead of providing a clear path to citizenship and equal rights.

7. Bush is exploiting and ruining the environment by protecting corporate polluters instead of conserving our natural resources for the public good.

8. Bush's war in Iraq is a disaster for our security and economy. He is pushing for more preemptive wars and for first strike nuclear military policy instead of negotiations and cooperation utilizing the UN.

9. Bush is denying civil liberties and free speech in the name of fighting terrorism instead of repealing the USA Patriot Act and helping cities, towns and states fund firefighters and police.

10. Bush discriminates against Gays and Lesbians with a Constitutional Amendment instead of expanding civil rights and liberties for all.

:banana:Go Kerry! :banana: Go Kerry! :banana:

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
It's easy to joke about Communism now, but it was a scary time in Hollywood in the 50's. Even an INSINUATION about being Communist, or even liberal, and you couldn't work anymore. My pal Judy Holiday, a wonderful comedienne who was a fellow Best Actress Oscar winner like me, had a much-abbreviated film career because she was labeled a Communist, even though she was just a liberal, pro-worker broad who allowed herself ONCE to be photographed at a strike. They heaped all kinds of scorn on her, made up all sorts of lies, even accusing her of being a lesbian with her best friend even though she was just friends with the dame. Being a lesbian is cool now, not so 50 years ago. A Communist lesbian! Boy they had it out for her. I mean, Judy was a straight broad with a husband and baby.

She had to testify in front of that stupid committee, and Columbia hired all the best attorneys for her to salvage her career, and she pulled off the most brilliant Billie Dawn/dumb blonde routine and spun her web around them, totally enchanting them with her talent, and they totally cleared her and she didn't name ONE name. Now that's a STAR folks.

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
It's easy to joke about Communism now, but it was a scary time in Hollywood in the 50's. Even an INSINUATION about being Communist, or even liberal, and you couldn't work anymore. My pal Judy Holiday, a wonderful comedienne who was a fellow Best Actress Oscar winner like me, had a much-abbreviated film career because she was labeled a Communist, even though she was just a liberal, pro-worker broad who allowed herself ONCE to be photographed at a strike. They heaped all kinds of scorn on her, made up all sorts of lies, even accusing her of being a lesbian with her best friend even though she was just friends with the dame. Being a lesbian is cool now, not so 50 years ago. A Communist lesbian! Boy they had it out for her. I mean, Judy was a straight broad with a husband and baby.

She had to testify in front of that stupid committee, and Columbia hired all the best attorneys for her to salvage her career, and she pulled off the most brilliant Billie Dawn/dumb blonde routine and spun her web around them, totally enchanting them with her talent, and they totally cleared her and she didn't name ONE name. Now that's a STAR folks.
Did Elia Kazan try to out you as a communist, Helen?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helen Lawson said:

Interestingly enough, now the shoe seems to be on the other foot and it is the conservatives in Hollywood who feel it necessary to keep a low profile. :scratch:

:shrug:

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
No way, he named shitloads of names, unlike Judy, and everyone knew all I cared about was the twins, winning an Oscar, and mashing Jess into the ground.

Joan Crawford told me in the 1930's to NEVER discuss religion or politics. EVER! I never did. That was the best career advice I ever got, because no one had anything on me in the 50's.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
JustineTime said:
Interestingly enough, now the shoe seems to be on the other foot and it is the conservatives in Hollywood who feel it necessary to keep a low profile. :scratch:

True, but Hollywood has always been pretty liberal relatively speaking, but you had to be more subtle about it before. Now it's cool to be liberal in Hollywood.

Poor Judy is not remembered as well as many other 50's broads, which is too bad, she was really good.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
JiT, Its Ironic that Helen made a historical reference to McCarthyism, when that's PRECISELY what you've done above. Obviously, many Americans feel that Dubya Did most or all of the Above. And These Things will be issues in a race between the 2 major parties this fall. So who in their duh *right mind* gives a FF if a tiny fringe "talking shop" like Communist Party USA endorses every single point above? :retard: (BTW: Paranoia will destroy ya). :eek:

·
Registered
969 Posts
JustineTime said:

:lol: What conservatives in Hollywood?

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Communism:rolleyes: . Oh, and isn't it interesting that all the reasons you commies have listed revolve around the negative qualities of Bush. No one can come up with good qualities of Kerry. Very interesting...

·
45,913 Posts
mboyle said:
Communism:rolleyes: . Oh, and isn't it interesting that all the reasons you commies have listed revolve around the negative qualities of Bush. No one can come up with good qualities of Kerry. Very interesting...
Kerry's #1 quality: he's not Bush! :D

Btw, who let you in Massachusetts? Isn't the state motto "No Regressives Allowed"?

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I spend as much time away from Stupidville, Taxachussetts as I possibly can. Unfortunately, all the good schools are there:sad: .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts