Tennis Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd expect Boulter to be back by then. Otherwise Konta and Watson would be likely singles players with Dart as back up. Watson and Dart as doubles team.

Still too early for Emma to be playing a live rubber.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'd expect Boulter to be back by then. Otherwise Konta and Watson would be likely singles players with Dart as back up. Watson and Dart as doubles team.

Still to early for Emma to be playing a live rubber.
It's to be hoped that Katie B will be back by then. What happens if Jo Ko. does well in Australia? When she has reached the semi finals of 2 Grand Slams she immediately withdrew from the next events eg. Fed Cup in 2016. As far as Emma is concerned we always seem to have a safety first mentality apart from the year when Katie Swan played in 2016. Other countries seem to pick their young players whilst we seem to continue with players who we should have given up with. In the mens game Alex Bogdanovic was probably the best example. Having said that the womens game isn't exactly spoilt for choice.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Re: Top 10 monthly update-/October update -as of Septmeber 29, 2014

1.Heather WATSON (47)/--/-1
2.Johanna KONTA (136)/--/-18
3.Naomi BROADY (138)/--/+9
4.Tara MOORE (263)/+1/+9
5.Katy DUNNE (305)/+2/+13
6.Emily WEBLEY SMITH (365)/+2/-21
7.Laura Robson (377)/-3/-199

8.Katie BOUTLER (442)/+2/+34
9.Amanda CARRERAS (415)/--/-2
10.Samantha MURRAY (455)/-4/-165
Paullow recently commented on the state of British womens tennis as grim with only 3 women ranked in the top 250. 5 years ago the position was exactly the same with the top 2 highest ranked players then being the same as now. The one good thing to be the said in the interim was the success of Johanna Konta. Of course injuries to 2 players in particular have not helped as I am thinking of Laura Robson in 2014 and Katie Boulter in 2019. But we wouldn't score many marks for the development of young players in the past 5 years. Things were far better a year ago. On 24th September 2018 we had 7 players ranked in the top 175.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Top 10 monthly update October 2019 update -As of November 4, 2019

National Ranking/Name/WTA Ranking/National Ranking Evolution/WTA ranking Evolution

1.Johanna KONTA (12)/--/-1
2.Heather WATSON (92)/--/+33
3.Harriet DART (142)/--/-9
4.Samantha MURRAY (221)/+5/+68
5.Katie SWAN (240)/+1/-6
6.Maia LUMSDEN (265)/-1/-9
7.Jodie BURRAGE (287)/+1/-7
8.Naiktha BAINS (292)/-1/-14
9.Francesca JONES (347)/+1/-36
10.Katie BOUTLER (352)/-6/-122

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Fair play to Sam for leapfrogging all the youngsters.

Reactions: fredbdx

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah, obviously assisted by poor results elsewhere, but she really has been in good form for a while now.

Depending on how many more events she plays in 2019, she has a real chance of becoming GB #3 after the AO. She bascially nothing to defend until June and has four 1 point counters that she can easily replace. She is playing a US W25 event this week where she is a seed, and I'm sure I read she has made the Houston 125k main draw next week. Given her hubby is from India, and that she didn't play until mid April, she might be tempted to play some (or all) of the 3 Indian W25s in December, which are usually weak, so a chance to replace some of those 1 points with 9, 18, 30 or even 50 point returns.

Harriet is done for the season and is on 432 points, but has 120 of those coming off by the end of the AO, so she's effectively on 300 points, Sam is currently on 271, so could easily pass 300 before 2020 (it would actually be quite disappointed if she didn't), and then it would just be a case of who did better in the very early 2020 events as to who would leave Melbourne ranked higher.

I'm sure becoming GB #3 isn't a top priority for her, but if she was the 3rd ranked player in late January, then she would surely have to be in contention to be included in the Fed Cup squad in Feb, even if she was 32, and not really one for the future, so to speak.

Sam has been one of the very few shining lights (Konta, Watson at a push, one or two more) on otherwise what's been a misearble year for British tennis.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Re: Top 10 monthly update-/October update -as of Septmeber 29, 2014

Paullow recently commented on the state of British womens tennis as grim with only 3 women ranked in the top 250. 5 years ago the position was exactly the same with the top 2 highest ranked players then being the same as now. The one good thing to be the said in the interim was the success of Johanna Konta. Of course injuries to 2 players in particular have not helped as I am thinking of Laura Robson in 2014 and Katie Boulter in 2019. But we wouldn't score many marks for the development of young players in the past 5 years. Things were far better a year ago. On 24th September 2018 we had 7 players ranked in the top 175.
I missed this at the time, but yeah, while it may not be much different from 5 years ago, it is a lot worse than September 2018 as you say:

1.Johanna KONTA (43)/--/+5
2.Heather WATSON (91)/+1/+42
3.Katie BOUTLER (108)/-1/+10
4.Naomi BROADY (165)/--/-18
5.Harriet DART (168)/--/+10
6.Katie SWAN (170)/--/+9
7.Gabriella TAYLOR (173)/--/+9
8.Katy DUNNE (223)/--/+4
9.Laura ROBSON (386)/--/-26
10.Maia LUMSDEN (411)/NEW ENTRY

7 players inside the top 175, after the grass spike, and a young, seemingly fairly promising bunch of players, but pretty much none of the the young ones have pushed on for one reason or another.

• Konta - great year, would have been nice if she could have played a bit post US Open, but no complaints for her year
  • Watson - pretty much the same ranking (helped by the recent WTA final), and at this stage of her career, I think staying in the top 100, and picking up the grand slam purses, and maybe the odd run like in TianJin will be a good / realistic return
  • Boulter - It will be great to see her back in action this week (against Garland in Thailand), and she does have 8 PR events, including AO and RG, (significant for points and financial reasons) to try and get her current 300+ ranking back towards the top 100, and hopefully she can, but it'll be pretty much 18 months wasted (minimum) just to get back to where she was - not her fault obviously, but a real shame her momentum was halted just as she was progressing nicely
  • Broady - just about done, not sure how serious this injury is, but she's struggled for a while now. She did win 3 matches against players 700-1000 recently, but no signs at all that she can even get back inside the top 300.
  • Dart - Injury affected year which started off really well with the 80 points in Brisbane and then qualifying for the AO, but since then, it's basically only Wimbledon (and US Open quals) that stands out, and she'll never get a LL and Q, both outside the top 100, for a chance of 130 points again. She did really well to beat McHale and Haddad Maia, but just think of all the players she could have faced in R1 and R2 - she could have been like Zheng and got Barty in R1 rather than R3 and it would have been 10 points not 130. She has since had a few poor defeats to lower ranked players, and she'll end the year not much higher than she ended 2018, and then has 120 points to defend straight away, so will likely fall even lower at least in the short term.
  • Swan - Again, a lot of injuries and personal issues. Her ranking dropped 100 places, but she has improved it a bit with that W25 title. Can't really knock her because she was out for a while since USO quals, and it's just good that she's back on court, but while she has been winning a number of matches, her record in that sequence againt top 350 players is 1-2 (beat Fernandez, lost to Loeb and Harrison), so no obvious signs yet that she's on course to reach her CH again soon, but should probably be in AO quals.
  • Taylor - probably less said the better. Won a few W15 matches against much lower ranked players but lost one final badly, and retired in another. Seems a million miles away from the player that was winning a lot of matches in Aussie W25s 20 months ago and invovled in the Fed Cup squad, and again, she's got a lot of work to do just to get back to where she was, nevermind potentially getting in the top 100.
  • Dunne - a surprise, out of the blue, W60 title in Spain in the middle of the year, but has barely played since the grass, and she turns 25 at the start of next year, so any solid 100-200 career will potentially have passed her by.
  • Robson - I don't really consider her a player these days. I really enjoy her commentating, and if she can come back and do anything of note, then great, but it's 'anything is a bonus' as far as I'm concerned.
  • Lumsden - Did well to go from circa 400-250, although she does have 50 points coming off in a couple of weeks, which would see her end the year around 330, but even then, she's literally beat nobody of note since February, received a generous 30 points simply for beating Tara at Nottingham, and a couple of other fairly weak W25 finals, and she has also been losing to much lower ranked players since the grass season which makes you question how far she can go
Burrage started the year really well and was looking promising and perhaps a potential top 100 player, but has basically had a wasted 5-7 months since Surbiton at the start of June. She has withdrawn from her latest event and has barely won since returning, so assuming she is now done for the year, it'll be a case of trying to get back to where she was next year, rather than pushing on, and like Boulter, momentum halted just as it was starting to look good.

We did add Bains, and although she did win a couple of matches recently, she lost 8 in a row before that and her ranking looks to be heading back to a more realistic number.

Raducanu has generally done very well whenever she plays, but the problem is, she hardly ever does play and she pulled out of Toronto and Malibu in recent weeks. There shouldn't be any pressue on a 16/17 year old to play, but when the rest of the landscape is so grim, as outlined, you kind of automatically do want her to play more.

Jones had a very good spell on the clay just before Wimbledon, but she hasn't played for over 3 months and worryingly withdrew from her last event after winning a match.

I've posted far more than I was planning, and while these are only 15 or so months older than they were in September 2018, so certainly not all write offs, but for me, the whole picture/landscape has changed, and instead of potentially having 2, 3 or 4 early 20 players who could make and stay in the top 100, and have good careers, it does kind of feel like many have missed the boat, and the window of opportunity, and that general expectation for the group has significantly decreased if you know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Not an optimistic picture of British womens tennis at the end of 2019.Johanna and Heather still remain our best players and we wait for other players to break through. Unfortunately it's either injuries or loss of form with the others excluding Sam Murray who has flourished since getting married.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Fist of all thanks you all for making that thread alive by sharing your views on the british league...
You're the best of all my national thread so far ;) ...

Concerning Samantha, this is for sure a revival year for her.
Starting the year out of the Top 500, she's about to bounce back to the Top 200 after so many years :worship::worship:

Let's have a look to her 2019 seaosn so far:

Ranking Analysis:
Current Ranking: n°221 -Highest ranking: n°165 (september 2013) -Ranking evolution (Current vs 2019 Year Ending): +336

Tournaments Highlights:
1 Title: Chiswick $25K
4 SF: Manchester $100K, Saguenay $60K, Toronto $60K, Jerusalem $25K
2 QF: Roehampton $25K, Cherbourg en Cotentin $25K

Victories Highlights:
1 Top 150: Bouzkova (n°118)
4 Top 200: Schoofs (n°156), Peng (n°163), Pattinama Kherkove (n°184), Raina (n°195)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It is sometimes called ranking evolution but one does wonder? Three out of our 4 highest ranked female players on 4th November 2019 are Jo, Heather and Sam. If you look back to 26th August 2013 (over 6 years ago) three of the top 4 then were Heather, Jo and Sam. i.e. little has changed over a long period of time. Laura Robson was top in 2013 when her wrist problem first started and Harriet Dart is the new entry this year. But it is still well done to the 3 players in question for maintaining a presence at the top of the British game over a long period of time.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Top 10 monthly update January 2020 update -As of February 2, 2020

National Ranking/Name/WTA Ranking/National Ranking Evolution/WTA ranking Evolution

1.Johanna KONTA (14)/--/-2
2.Heather WATSON (74)/--/+18
3.Harriet DART (141)/--/+1
4.Samantha MURRAY (213)/--/+8
5.Naiktha BAINS (217)/+3/+75
6.Katie SWAN (257)/-1/-17
7.Jodie BURRAGE (280)/+1/+7
8.Maia LUMSDEN (319)/-1/-54
9.Amanda CARRERAS (333)/NEW ENTRY
10.Francesca JONES (335)/-1/+12

OUT OF THE TOP 10:

13.Katie BOUTLER (441)/-3/-89

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

OUT OF THE TOP 10:

In 14th place ranked 1 lower at 442 is Gabi Taylor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
K

OUT OF THE TOP 10:

Losing the Australian Open points from last year hitting Boulter hard. Will she have to qualify for all her tournaments now or have to play W15's as well?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Losing the Australian Open points from last year hitting Boulter hard. Will she have to qualify for all her tournaments now or have to play W15's as well?
She has an SR of #85, expiring in April. I think that will cover her for entry throughout the clay season. She'll get WCs in the grass season, so it'll really start to hit her in the summer hardcourt swing, unless she manages to rise through the rankings over the coming months.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The PR expires in 2021, so she has a lot more flexibility with it. She can only use it for 2 grand slams though, so assuming she uses it for RG, she'll not be able to at the USO.

Even though the picture in fredbdx's post is generally pretty grim, there could be a big fight for Wimbledon MDWCs. With very little to defend, Heathers main draw place should be confirmed, Harriet has a chance, but if she doesn't make it, then there's going to be a few disappointed. 4 of the current Fed Cup team in Slovakia will be hoping for one, then add Katie B, Snigur (especially if she's comfortably in the top 200 by June), Jodie if she can get back to what she was showing in the first part of 2019, and then there's the grass ITFs to consider as well.

Sam Murray has virtually nothing to defend until May, so she'll be a big favourite to be GB #4 by the time of the announcements, but I can't really see her being in the mix due to her age, unless she's just outside the top 100, which is unlikely.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Thays not even considering potential big names like Sharapova and Clijsters who'll very likely need one if they want to play.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The PR expires in 2021, so she has a lot more flexibility with it. She can only use it for 2 grand slams though, so assuming she uses it for RG, she'll not be able to at the USO.
Realistically could she still earn enough points to qualify automatically for Flushing Meadows?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Realistically could she still earn enough points to qualify automatically for Flushing Meadows?
I would say yes it is certainly possible for her to be top 100 before August. If she takes advantage of grass wildcards and posts some WTA MD wins. Ideally winning a round at Wimbledon too. To get there though she will have to beat some top 100 players. Personally I don't think she will do it and I think a realistic aim should be to be comfortably in quailes for the US open. And then actually qualify which gets her more points anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say yes it is certainly possible for her to be top 100 before August. If she takes advantage of grass wildcards and posts some WTA MD wins. Ideally winning a round at Wimbledon too. To get there though she will have to beat some top 100 players. Personally I don't think she will do it and I think a realistic aim should be to be comfortably in quailes for the US open. And then actually qualify which gets her more points anyway.
Katie's already back in the top 400 this week at least although she's pulled out of the W60 in Cairo. Hopefully the problem in Grenoble wasn't too serious.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts