7.BJK
8.Henin
9.Venus
10.Goolagong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just to say: it's not my ranking, I just posted the video ... but I agree with many things

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why Margaret Court is not best ever with 65 GS won? In my opinion she's the best ever, numbers on the table

·
Registered
94 Posts
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Martina N.
4. Steffi
5. Justine
6. Monica
7. Bianca
8. Naomi
9. Chrissie
10. Martina H.

I'm 59 yo. Been watching pro tennis since 1972 -- Chrissie at the U.S. Open. What I'm trying to do here is imagine a counter-factual scenario in which these women could play each other. That's why, e.g., Chrissie, pin-point precise as her groundies were, doesn't actually play with Naomi or Bianca, the two best players in the game right now. That's what I think -- that founders-generation wouldn't be able to stay on the same court with the game-post-Williams sisters. However, with proper supply of a big racquet and training, I'd love to see how the quartet of Navratilova/Steffi/Seles/Henin would do.

Oh, and I never saw Margaret Court play (but I've heard her commentate -- which was ugly enough). And Maria does not convince me that Meldonium isn't the reason she took the last of her majors -- the French she stole from Halep. Halep would be an interesting prospect for this list if she had that third major.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On a slightly more serious note, though, this is not a list of the top 10 best ever. How could such a list leave out Suzanne Lenglen, Helen Wills Moody or Lottie Dodd, for example, each of whom was basically unbeatable at their peak? Get a time machine to bring them into the modern era, and train and play like the current crop, and they would quite likely wipe the floor with most of our "stars."

If it's a list of the best of the open era, though, I won't quibble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a slightly more serious note, though, this is not a list of the top 10 best ever. How could such a list leave out Suzanne Lenglen, Helen Wills Moody or Lottie Dodd, for example, each of whom was basically unbeatable at their peak? Get a time machine to bring them into the modern era, and train and play like the current crop, and they would quite likely wipe the floor with most of our "stars."

If it's a list of the best of the open era, though, I won't quibble.
I don't agree with this. Lenglen, Wills etc are among the most decorated in tennis history, but they were the very best at a time when the depth of players was nothing in comparison to today

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I don't agree with this. Lenglen, Wills etc are among the most decorated in tennis history, but they were the very best at a time when the depth of players was nothing in comparison to today
How can you say that? There were players at that time who regularly slaughtered their opposition in Grand Slam tournaments (and the equivalent), yet were absolutely helpless against Lenglen and Wills. Look at some of the video clips that are available of Lenglen, and seriously try to tell anyone that she wouldn't have been a great player in the modern era.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
1. Martina
2. Steffi
3. Serena
4. Chrissie
5. Reverend Mags
6. BillieJayne
7. Monique
8. Justine
9. Venus
10. EvonneFay

·
Registered
19 Posts
How can you say that? There were players at that time who regularly slaughtered their opposition in Grand Slam tournaments (and the equivalent), yet were absolutely helpless against Lenglen and Wills. Look at some of the video clips that are available of Lenglen, and seriously try to tell anyone that she wouldn't have been a great player in the modern era.
I don't see that as an argument for depth of field, actually the opposite. Player A being thrashed by player B who then gets thrashed by player C is the definition of a lack of depth and parity

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I don't see that as an argument for depth of field, actually the opposite. Player A being thrashed by player B who then gets thrashed by player C is the definition of a lack of depth and parity
It happens now, yet you don't see similar comments, so why should what happened a hundred years ago be different? In any case, you and I will never agree on this, so let's just leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Singles ranking:

1-Graf
2-Serena
3-Navratilova
4-M. Court
5-C. Evert
6-BJK
7-Seles
8-Venus
9-Henin
10-EGC

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have Billie Jean King over Hingis.

1.Graf
2.Navratilova
3.Serena
4.Evert
5.Court
6.Seles
7.BJK
8.Henin
9.Venus
10.Goolagong.
This is a great list, I am glad you included players like Goolagong from the late 70s and early 80s. I often wonder how they would stack up against today's players with better equipment, stringing, traveling coaches, etc. ( I would have placed Seles ahead of Court, taking into consideration her stabbing and all the time she lost. Her one downfall - she never won Wimbledon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just drowning in stats here today......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_tennis_records_%E2%80%93_women%27s_singles
Couple of interesting stats- only 19 players have contested all 4 slam finals in their career...Evonne Gooloagong has won more titles than Serena....5 players had a calendar year without a loss etc.
Courts list is not bad...all considered.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts