Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
34,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's hot and playing good tennis right now, but at 16, is constantly being put on a big show court, being shown on tv all across the world, and being constantly interviewed good for her game. Many see he as a future top10 player or maybe even a number 1, but didn't they also expect Kournikova to achieve much more than she did (even though most players would kill to have her career, she was expected to win majors)?

· Registered
20,884 Posts
IT mgiht be getting to her. She is losing in her match against Emilie Loit 5-2 in the first set.

· Banned
177 Posts
croat123 said:
She's hot and playing good tennis right now, but at 16, is constantly being put on a big show court, being shown on tv all across the world, and being constantly interviewed good for her game. Many see he as a future top10 player or maybe even a number 1, but didn't they also expect Kournikova to achieve much more than she did (even though most players would kill to have her career, she was expected to win majors)?

They did the same thing to Dani no know one talks about her. She has really gone down hill.

· Registered
16,773 Posts
The media pressure comes from her agent. He has been pushing, pushing, pushing to get Maria more and more attention, and he wants it NOW. Without his aggressive marketing of her, she'd be out on some outer court under no pressure. So if her tennis is affected by it, he should know where to look.

As for Maria getting a big head, I have only heard one person say so. It's her opinion, based on whatever encounter she had. I wouldn't read that much into it. If we start hearing dozens of such reports from a variety of sources, then I would listen. For now, I give Maria the benefit of the doubt as to her character.

· Registered
22,715 Posts
She was done in by Kournikova-like UFEs in her 2nd rd. match against Loit.

Probably the biggest Russian "name" not to make it into the 3rd Rd.

Shocking :eek:

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Good. Now the media spotlight will die down some. Let the kid be a kid for a little while longer. :)

Maria! I truly wish the best for you! :hearts:

But "the best" does not always mean "the most famous" or "the richest possible at any cost"; not right away, anyway. At least, that's not what it means to me. :kiss:

· Registered
11,079 Posts
I definitely think it contributed somewhat to her loss tonight, although I think it was mainly because of Loit's variety.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
yes she's played a few night matches in her last couple of tournaments.

· Registered
851 Posts
Sharapova's only 16 and to have this much hype at this age is going to get to some people. But still, she plays really good tennis :) I just can't stand those filthy Brit media monguls who just HAD to point out her grunting. I mean, they showed us how immature they were back when Monica was in her prime. And almost a decade later, they're still stuck in some stupid time-warp and haven't grown up or matured at all.

· Registered
851 Posts
selesfan said:
Loit is a very talented player, do you think that might have contributed to why Maria lost. :rolleyes:
I didn't say Loit wasn't talented.

· Registered
471 Posts
I don't think the media pressure has anything to do with the loss today. She seems extremely mentally tough. It's just that so many people are overrating the things she's done and have unreasonable expectations. Tonight's loss really shouldn't be surprising. I was more surprised by how much she dominated in her first match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.