Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People keep on saying that the WTA is so diverse, I don't really see it.The only top Western Europeans on the WTA are the French and the Belgians. Actually just Belgian since Clijsters quit. Spain is no longer a force and neither is Germany with the retirment of the Spanish/German combos of Sanchez Vicario, Martinez, and Huber and Graf from Germany are gone. The Sanchez Vicario/Martinez and Graf/Huber combos were important because they inspired each other.

The WTA now is dominated by so many Eastern Europeans. What I don't get is why UK or USA have not produced talented young players with all the money they got? I also don't understand why Asia has not produced a slam champion. I really feel Kimiko Date she retired too early I think she definitely had a shot at winning a slam. I don't see that fearlessness that Date had in Na Li or Sania Mirza. I know Mirza is young but enough is enough when is going to produce. Or is Mirza even as talented as people say? Or is Mirza just a lot of hype and hot air? The girl hasn't done anything on the WTA in two years.
Right now the Eastern bloc is dominating the WTA but they aren't interesting or exciting personalities at all. They just play a gazillion events. I wish the Western Europeans, Asians and Americans would come back. We need them.

·
-
26,864 Posts
i agree, but it isn't bothering me that the Eastern European countries are dominating. Many of that girls are so good and they will do anything for a pro career. All credits to them.
You cannot say that for the most of the girls in USA, Western Europe.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
I agree that the best tennis countries are shifting to Eastern Europe.

Perhaps the biggest force for a long time was the USA. They were such a big force when they had some of the games best players for such a long time. I'd say they were still one of the biggest forces right up until Lindsay's retirement, as she was one of the best for a long while. When she retired though, she left just Serena & Venus, who were lowly ranked then. Now with Serena coming back, the USA are starting to become a bigger force again, but they need Venus back in the top 10 aswell.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well you people forget Navratilova-Czech Seles-Yugoslavia Hingis-Slovakia ... And who is the ... who says Jankovic Vaidisova Sharapova Dementieva Ivanovic are not interesting personalities??????? I guess Lindsay was so interesting...

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Well you people forget Navratilova-Czech Seles-Yugoslavia Hingis-Slovakia ... And who is the ... who says Jankovic Vaidisova Sharapova Dementieva Ivanovic are not interesting personalities??????? I guess Lindsay was so interesting...
What do you mean?:confused:

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
OMG this is so lame....sounds worse the Eurovision Song Contest complains...

Its not Eastern Europe's fault british girls suck

·
Premium Member
182,028 Posts
split US up into 50 nations and you can have the same.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want to see an Asian slam champion. I think its time. Maybe I was expecting too much from Sania Mirza when she exploded on the scene in 2005 it was simply incredible. However, now its 2007 and Sania is 20 years old she keeps on getting these injuries. And I keep on wondering if Sania isn't training properly I feel she can be a bit more fitter. I am glad Sania plays well in doubles because that will help her singles game. I know Sania has talent her biggest win was over Hingis last year in South Korea so I know she can do it. The question is when or if Sania Mirza is going to make her move on the WTA?

·
Registered
446 Posts
And I hear people beeing unhappy because they play too many tournaments??????? Isn't that the major problem of WTA the likes of Serena Venus and Maria always withdrawing from tournaments without good reasons??????????????? Face the fact Eastern Europe and Central Europe for that matter is dominating well Europe at the moment put aside Serena and it's good for the game Tennis is now #1 in Europe behind football and those girls are bright pretty and act like real pros and their game is not just about power like the Sisters... Give me Jankovic and Ivanovic anytime not those Lindsay and Pierce BOREFEST

·
Registered
446 Posts
Asians are not build for tennis that's the problem especially since it's such a power game. Well at least forget it on the men's side and at the moment Na Li is a UE machine she'll never go further than 10-15 and Mirza is a 20-30 player at best. Yes why is it the new generation fault than usa-germany-australia-britain can't produce talent anymore?????????

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
I really want to see an Asian slam champion. I think its time. Maybe I was expecting too much from Sania Mirza when she exploded on the scene in 2005 it was simply incredible. However, now its 2007 and Sania is 20 years old she keeps on getting these injuries. And I keep on wondering if Sania isn't training properly I feel she can be a bit more fitter. I am glad Sania plays well in doubles because that will help her singles game. I know Sania has talent her biggest win was over Hingis last year in South Korea so I know she can do it. The question is when or if Sania Mirza is going to make her move on the WTA?
Yeah I agree, her fitness has always been her problem IMO. I think last year, the expectations from a huge nation got to her a bit, aswell as those people saying she shows too much skin etc. I think it got a bit much for her, but I definetely still think she could breakthrough one day. I remember her match with Kuznetsova at Wimbledon before (I think it was Kuznetsova), and she was hitting the same standard as her.

·
Banned
194 Posts
maybe the beatiful women in the western countries are more valued as wifes for the rich men in those countries and so they don't want to play tennis as professional? So then the eastern europeans take over

·
Registered
446 Posts
And just to show how stupid you are where did Anna K. came from??????? ahahah what an idiot with such stupid comments... It's just because before it was easier there wasn't much tennis in communist countries now that they have taken to it they dominate like they dominate before in Olympics by large...They have a natural ability and coach ethic or whatever it is that they are really great in sports in "Eastern Europe"

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Asians are not build for tennis that's the problem especially since it's such a power game. Well at least forget it on the men's side and at the moment Na Li is a UE machine she'll never go further than 10-15 and Mirza is a 20-30 player at best. Yes why is it the new generation fault than usa-germany-australia-britain can't produce talent anymore?????????

What's up with that? Asian women have done very well in pro sport. In Figure Skating the Japanese women are dominating not the Americans. And in women's golf there are so many talented and amazing Asian women golfers. Henin is very slight build and she's no.1. I don't think the race is the issue here for Asians. I think the issue is the focus of the governments. The Chinese government is pumping serious cash into tennis and they are getting the results. The Chinese women doubles players are the Olympic gold medalists and they are grand slam champions. Na Li is in the top 20 of the WTA. Sania Mirza is an emerging talent. I believe for tennis to truly be a global sport more then just Europeans and Americans should be winnning the slams. I really hope within the next decade or so Asian women can breakthrough and truly be top players.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In figure Skating Olympics Gold have go to Tara Lipinski American Sarah Hughes american lately so you can't speak of domination there. But remember figure skating isn't a physically demanding sport in the same way as tennis... Chinese tennis isn't getting results my friend. Where are your top 10ers look Serbia has two Russia 4 Czech 1... Sania Mirza was an emerging talent the question is " is she still one"... Na Li is terrible give me a break she will dissapear soon. They could but I very doubt it they are better in badminton table tennis figure skating and those sports.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sure Serena Evert Lindsay Jenny Venus they all quit tennis... The ones that quit are those without talent... Wich are by the tons now. Sure Chris Evert needed to quit tennis to have money and a rich husband!!!!!!! What kind of fool ignorant is that.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
give me a break. The Eastern European girls earned it. I do think quite a few of the Russians have a very basic mechancial game. Not as much creativity is valued. It seems a part of the culture. But the Asians are the same. Very bland baseline game. The American girls show no creativity NOR grit.

btw, on another note, just saw major lightning bolt here in Dallas. It rains EVERY DAY!!! just like Paris and it even seems to start at the same times as Paris. Weird. We have had rain probably 2/3 of the days this spring. Very crazy.

but back to the other discussion, I admire the Eastern European players for their tenacity and work ethic. It does seem that the Czechs, Slovaks and Croats show a bit more well rounded games than the Russians, Ukrainians and Belorussians (with the possible exception of Kuznetsova and Petrova who spent so much time abroad)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts