Tennis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I wouldn't say that there are too many clay tournaments in the calendar, but the scheduling of them could do with a rethink. In particular, having three or four weeks' worth of optional clay events after Wimbledon is ridiculous when it makes far more sense to transition from clay to grass to hardcourt. And I think many players in the past who were labelled mere clay-courters are coming into their own on faster surfaces, earning their higher ranking. True, the likes of Felix Mantilla would not be in the Top 20 were it not for their exceptional results on clay, but take the example of Coria, who has gained the most points on clay of anyone in the Top 10 - he still reached the last 16 at the first three big hardcourt events of the year, the AO, Indian Wells and Miami. As Hewitt said in an interview last year, the bottom line is that for the top players, hardcourt tennis constitutes a good three quarters of the year, so that's really the dominant surface in the men's game.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well, there is a good 4 months from early April to late July played on non-hardcourt surfaces, which is a third of the year, but then that is split between clay and grass... I suppose hardcourt is regarded as the most "democratic" surface if you will, because it allows the fast and slow-court players to have an equal chance on a surface that suits them both. Having said that, that kind of balance rarely works out so simply, and one group tends to dominate over the other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.