Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are way too many clay court tournies on ATP tour!!
It's pre much two fifths of the entire tour is played on dirt.
That's way too much!! No wonder there are so many clay courters in the top 20. Some of course deserve their rankings but some wouldn't be ranked so high weren't it for so many clay events which are obviously benefitting them greatly. Even after the summar hard court season sets in, there are a few clay court events in Europe. What the fuck are they about? And I hate those clay freaks who opt to play those clay events instead of hard court tournies in the U.S.
On the other hand, Women's tour distributes all the events quite fairly and more logically.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
:scratch:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
:p

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JonBcn said:
24/70 tournaments is not too many. You can only play on clay from March to September. Why should it be any more restricted than that?
How many surfaces do you think tennis can be played on?
Clay is just one of 5 or 6.
and if we consider indoor and outdoor hardcourts as separate surfaces, there are definitely more clay events than there should be.

·
Premium Member
182,684 Posts
Are you afraid of the red stuff ;) ????

Anyways...... you can only count 5 Optional events so it doesn't matter :p

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Aslo there may be alot of clay events, but there are not alot of TOP clay events. There are too many tier 1 & 2 hardcourt tournies IMO.

Reactions: Kart

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
yeah there are so many tier 2 and above hardcourt tourneys, compared to clay and other surfaces. off the top of my head:

hard: miami, IW, Scottsdale, Stanford, LA, San Diego, Toronto, New Haven, USO, --- plus any indoor hardcourt tournaments if you're counting them. but 9.

clay: AI, Charleston, Rome, Berlin, Hamburg, FO - 6

indoors, (hard and carpet cos dunno which tourneys are which): tokyo, antwerp, paris, zurich, moscow, yr end champs, filderstadt, leipzig..... ummm? - 8

grass: eastbourne, W'don - 2 (bless)

Rebound ace: sydney, AO, (is dubai rebound ace or hardcourt??? argh) - 2 or 3

most of the clay tourneys are lil diddy ones that are competing with the big hardcourt tournaments aren't they?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I wouldn't say that there are too many clay tournaments in the calendar, but the scheduling of them could do with a rethink. In particular, having three or four weeks' worth of optional clay events after Wimbledon is ridiculous when it makes far more sense to transition from clay to grass to hardcourt. And I think many players in the past who were labelled mere clay-courters are coming into their own on faster surfaces, earning their higher ranking. True, the likes of Felix Mantilla would not be in the Top 20 were it not for their exceptional results on clay, but take the example of Coria, who has gained the most points on clay of anyone in the Top 10 - he still reached the last 16 at the first three big hardcourt events of the year, the AO, Indian Wells and Miami. As Hewitt said in an interview last year, the bottom line is that for the top players, hardcourt tennis constitutes a good three quarters of the year, so that's really the dominant surface in the men's game.

·
Registered
28,581 Posts
There are too many hardcourt events. The distribution of surfaces is uneven, and hardcourt players are able to build up their rankings based mainly on their hardcourt points (like Hewitt in 2001). What it is that people have against clay is absolutely beyond me, but it's rather ignorant to cry "too much clay" when that is not the case at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.