Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
:cheer:still a bit butt hurt at her blowing the US Open for it was hers to win... but good win for the very likeable and huge game Samsonova. Looking like a real good final 4 and SF"s.

Reactions: animefan

·
Registered
426 Posts
The first set was so-so for Liudmila. But gosh, so good in the second. Another SF for her. Really nice!

Zhang won't be scared of her serve after facing Garcia though.

Garbiñe was just pushing without any intent. Once Samsung settled...game over. Both spaniards are having the same issues. Sad to see. But they'll come back, I'm sure.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
The first set was so-so for Liudmila. But gosh, so good in the second. Another SF for her. Really nice!

Zhang won't be scared of her serve after facing Garcia though.

Garbiñe was just pushing without any intent. Once Samsung settled...game over. Both spaniards are having the same issues. Sad to see. But they'll come back, I'm sure.
Both ... spaniards?!?

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
120,264 Posts
Muguruza barely mixes anything up so she was hitting right into Samsonova’s firing range. Add the confidence level to the mix and the result was always going to be one. I admire Muguruza’s perseverance this year but she just be surely tired of this season. Probably her worst since she came on the scene. Once Chicago and especially YEC pts come off she won’t be even in the AO seeding range.

·
Registered
15,424 Posts
Muguruza barely mixes anything up so she was hitting right into Samsonova’s firing range. Add the confidence level to the mix and the result was always going to be one. I admire Muguruza’s perseverance this year but she just be surely tired of this season. Probably her worst since she came on the scene. Once Chicago and especially YEC pts come off she won’t be even in the AO seeding range.
Yes, she currently lies 47th in the race so her goal this year is not to qualify for YEC or even stay in the top 20 but to try and get enough points from San Diego and Guadalajara to stay in the top 32 seeding range for the AO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Muguruza was lucky to get 100 points for beating Papamichail, that and a couple of other wins based off a high seeding soften the ranking drop a bit, because her season was truly horrifying. I can't really remember her beating anyone of note throughout the year...
Her whole career has been based on luck and fraudulence

·
Registered
59,740 Posts
Yeah well at this point it was NID wasn’t it ? Even if there was still a tiny bit of hope that Garbiñe would suddenly peak .

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Yes, she currently lies 47th in the race so her goal this year is not to qualify for YEC or even stay in the top 20 but to try and get enough points from San Diego and Guadalajara to stay in the top 32 seeding range for the AO.
She's around 250 points away from the current #32. Without a deep run in Guadalajara or winning a WTA500 there's a very good chance she will miss out on a seeding at AO2023.

·
Registered
121,252 Posts
Samsonova is so consistent since she was banned from W, I can see her in the top 10 next year

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Great win by Samson, once sho got rolling in that 2nd set, it was curtains. Mug was really bad though.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Didn’t see the match but it would have been more of a surprise if Mugu would have won! Samsonova has had a great summer apart from flopping against Tomljanovic and is going to be a major force in the coming months at big tournaments too. Favourite here?
Muguruza is going to have a rough 2023 when her ranking plummets. Will she stick with coach of the year Conchita??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts