Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todd Martin: IMTA dangerous to tour
Coaching developments: Henman, Philippoussis and Dokic on tutoring changes

By Matthew Cronin

Susan Mullane/
Camerawork USA, Inc.
FROM ROLAND GARROS – ATP Players Council President Todd Martin said Tuesday that should the breakaway International Men's Tennis Association [IMTA] successfully replace the ATP Player's Council, it would endanger the structure of the tour.

"There needs to be a lot of concern from the players standpoint if this thing really ends up being an entity because our tournament have every right to say 'That's not the way we have it set up and maybe we should do things on our own' and maybe then it becomes just a bunch of special interest events," Martin told *******************. "That's not good for the sport."

Currently, the Players Council appoints three members to the ATP Board of Directors, which is also comprised of three tournament directors representatives and ATP CEO Mark Miles.

The IMTA was formed in March and is being led by South Africa's Wayne Ferreira. It claims to have signed up about 50 dues-paying members, including No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt. The IMTA hasn't come out and directly said that it wants to replace the Players Council, but has hired its own lawyers to represent them to the ATP.

Earlier this spring, the IMTA requested a boatload of financial information from the ATP.

"We've provided them with every bit of information they could possibly want," Martin said. "I'm confident that nothing significant in those documents would constitute a formation of another organization. I am also confident that their lawyers will tell them that there is something that should constitute significant change."

Martin jokingly added, "At times I would welcome [a new council] so I wouldn't have to hear all the whining in the locker room and I could be the whiner."

Martin said that the IMTA is barking up the wrong tree and could affect any kid of change they want to within the current ATP structure.

"Ask the IMTA guys what structure they are going to have," he said. "Are they going to have a 10-player body to advice the lawyers what they should do? If they want 10 different players, they can elect 10 different players to represent them on the Player's Council. It's a mirror image of what we already have."

Coaching developments: Philippoussis, Henman and Dokic on tutoring changes

Susan Mullane/Camerawork USA, Inc.
England's Tim Henman and his coach, American Larry Stefanki, have changed their relationship, where they will focus more on practice sessions in between tournaments rather than having Stefanki travel full-time with him. Stefanki will attend the second weeks of the majors.

"When we have been able to have a week or two weeks where we can work on my game, that's where it has the biggest impact," he said. "If your competing at a tournament, you don't have a chance to do that because all you are is focused on your next match."

Mark Philippoussis has cut ties with his longtime coach, Peter McNamara and is working again with his father.

"For a few years, I felt like I lost my game, that strength in my shots when I was 18-20," Philippoussis said. "I was fearless when I was young. I was hitting my groundstrokes without care. My technique was fearless. My dad stepped back and I kind of lost my shots. We've been working on trying to get it back."

Will Heinz Gunhardt's coaching relationships with Jelena Dokic last the year? It's hard to say, but her results have been poor since they started and, even though she occasionally shows flashes of elite play, she focusing much better in practice.

"He's trying too change a lot of things," Dokic said of Steffi Graf's old coach. "It's a bit hard to put that into play straight-away. It confuses a little. He's worked on my serve, return, to move better, to read the play better and come in. It's hard to do it in matches sometimes. But I feel like I'm doing better than I did a few months ago. ... I have so much to work on and develop and couldn't do everything on my own talent."

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Quite a few typos in these articles. Thanks for supplying them, though.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Thanks for the site. I'd already read them, though.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts