Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Venus officially becomes the #1 player TODAY.
:D :D :D

February 25, 2002 is a day that will go down in tennis history.
In case you didn't already know ;) Venus is the first black woman since Althea Gibson to hold the top spot, and the first black person since the late great Arthur Ashe, to hold the #1 ranking. If you ask me, she's in pretty good company.

I know, I know, she might lose it next week (personally, I think if she does lose it, she'll gain it back soon enough), but for this week, right here, RIGHT NOW, VENUS IS #1.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ps--I know this is the umpteenth thread talking about Vee's ranking, but sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D
Besides, it's not every day that your favorite player becomes #1. :p

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
Moon can i join in the celebration. It truly is a celebration. Venus as usual did thing her way and did not let people tell her how to achieve her goals and today it is finally a reality. Congratulations Venus:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
You pretty much summed up my feelings exactly!

It is indeed a great day.:) I will always remember this day for as long as I live.:) Kinda fitting that it occured in the month of February, black history month. I will forever cherish this time in tennis.:D:)

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CONGRATS VENUS:bounce: :bounce:

Also I want to celebrate that in today's ranking Maria Emilia Salerni is in the top 100 for the first time , She is ranked this week n#98.

Keep moving girl:wavey:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
First of all yoshie every player thinks that their the best in the world. Second of all Venus's article was concerning her new rank. By the computer rankings Venus is the best player in the world. Clearly you're taking quotes out of context. Also Yoshie don't make me bring up some "oh so modest" Jelena quotes :rolleyes: :)

Now Venus is proud of herself because she has been a part of the WTA tour for awhile now .. even won back to back slams.. and she FINALLY got what she so deserves. It may last a week or a day.. but she got there. You gotta be happy for a person who has achieved one of their personal goals in life.:)

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
HEHE I love getting the Venus fans all worked up!!

Its quite easy.

Lets make up an alternitive answer to the Question.

Q. I saw in your comment earlier this week that reaching No. 1 is a dream that started with your parents and then you took it over. How long have you wanted to be No. 1; and the way you've been playing lately, was it just a matter of time?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, you know, obviously, when you're on a professional tour, you don't aspire to be No. 3 or No. 2. Normally you do your best to become the best. At this point, I am the best player in the world, so that's exciting and it's going to be mine at least a week.

YOSHIE707: Well when i first started playing tennis i aimed at one day becoming the No.1 ranked player in the world. At this point in time I am ranked No.1 and it is a real honour especially seeing there are so many talented players on the tour today and I'm glad that at the end of the day i can say i have been no.1 if only for only 1 week!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Thanks for that sweet article Yoshie.. you silly thing you.:) This article explains what I stated above. Obviously Venus is being truthful here.. she said that "at this point I am the #1 player for at least a week". That is 100% a fact. Nothing wrong with what Venus said. After her years on the tour and titles and slams .. she is only praising herself for her achievment!:)

:kiss: to Yoshie:kiss:

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
Your Welcome Dawny!! :kiss:

I just thought venus couldve altered her words so that she didnt state the obvious and she couldve said at the moment i am ranked #1 n the world instead of stright out smack I am the best!!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Yoshie, Venus said what all the rest of the players before her and after her state when they become/became the #1 player. I do undersand how it can be hard for you to understand Venus... she is not the average norm player.:)

Hey Yoshie all the best to Jelena..I think Jelly and Venus and Serena have alot of respect for one another.:) :kiss:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Congratulations to Venus and her fans,

I think any player would say something along those lines if they where No1.

I have no problems with what Venus said, I'm hoping my fav's saying those words soon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agree with you Moon, how very fitting that Venus becomes the number one player during African-American History month.

Congrats. Venus, you've made us all proud and we love you very much.

Get some rest and be healthy for your next tournament.

GO SERENA

·
Registered
15,624 Posts
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Congratulations Venus!!!!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

:wavey: You Go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
congrats Venus!
she is number 1 so she is the best player this week, what should she say then, the ranking says I am number 1 but to be real I don`t belong there at all
if she would say that, then I would started to doubt her:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey hey let us celebrate. Miss Vee is number the best player is also the #1 ranked player.
She will hold it. Don't you worry!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats to Venus !!!......On becoming the WTA No1 player......its been a really long wait but well worth it..I'm really happy she got there and I don't particularly care how long ...she stays (hope Serena and Jelena dokic are inspired to get there too).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts