Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never thought i'd say something like this, but today capriati truly beat herself. nothing could stop her from losing this match. even if she played me she would've lost.

i saw the match. she just couldn't hit anything without it going long, wide, or into the net. her footwork was non-existent. she couldn' t even swing her racket correctly. every shot was tentative. the few times the ball landed in it was slow and short and had no pace.

i'd rather serena beat her, than have her beating herself. yes i'm disappointed, but definitely not as much as capriati herself. so all i can say is, work out those issues and come back stronger. we know you can play better jennifer!:kiss:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, I totally agree, that is the second worst match she has played in her life probably, following her defeat by Myskina at the French. She just didn't turn up, Serena didn't have much to do really.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Right. I agree. She was D.O.A from the start. There was no energy,
risk, ambition, challenge, fight, or need. Serena didn't help because
she was as flat as Jen was and gave no reason to get emotional.

Just a really bad match. Serena wasn't herself either. The match
looked like they just woke up 20 minutes prior to start time.

Someone should've given them a can of RED BULL!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
unfortunately u r correct watching that i was in shock i was like where is the jen from the last matches she hasnt even shown up!!!nothing was working for her today and she never got going.she will giv credit to serena as she rightly shud but ultimately it came down to her having a bad day

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
stats dont show that Serena was too good for her today. Even Golovin got more games than her.

Stats? Did you watch this "live"? I did. It was horrible.
Serena was awful too. It reminded me of a very bad Patty
Schynder match. Really, that bad! Serena, thank God is
professional enough to finish the games; but she kept on
DF's for no reason. This is how weird this match was.

Where was the energy?

·
49,001 Posts
I guess you could say Jen beat herself here; but then following that logic, you must also concede that Serena beat herself in the Rome SF and at the Paris QF!!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fair enough, Serena played one of the best matches of her life, whereas Capriati played one of her worst.

Serena hit loads of winners, looked quick, vengeful and focoused.
Capriati looked the opposite, slow, distracted and hesitant.

A combination of Serena's good play and Jennifers dreadful play made the scoreline. Serenas played very well against Capriati before, eg. Miami final 2002, but Jen was there fighting. Today, she just looked like she wasn't up for a fight.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
justinhosbey said:
I guess you could say Jen beat herself here; but then following that logic, you must also concede that Serena beat herself in the Rome SF and at the Paris QF!!!!!

This isn't even the same thing!!!! Serena was trying to win in
Paris and Rome. Jen could barely get the ball over the net today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine a real slouchy Lindsay Davenport or a "I don't care"
Patty Schynder match! There you go. This was the Capster today.
Her swings were done so half hearted, and poorly.

I'm just shocked because the Capster played so well in all her
previous matches. She looked real tired. I think the RG wore
her out, and WIMBLEDON came to quickly. Just drained of
life. A Zombie today.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no disrespect to serena: she is a great player and perfectly capable of beating jennifer in straight sets.

BUT, anyone who saw the match will know, serena didn't do anything great. she wasn't playing well either. and she really didn't even have a chance to play well, because capriati literally hit everyshot out or into the net. there were like 2 rallies that went beyond 4 strokes.

serena CAN be too good for jennifer on any given day, but you couldn't tell that from today's match. jenny just played so awful that serena had no chance to show she was good.

i dont mean to take away from serena's win. a win is a win and i respect serena. but like i said, even i could've beaten jennifer today.

Reactions: FanDeJen

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
If Jen played this badly, then she HAD to be fatigued. She obviously wanted to win this title very badly (she wouldn't have come with out her parents, worked with Tom Gully or played mixed doubles if she wasn't).

Jen played exceptionally well yesterday, but there were a lot of long rallies. Did that totally take all her energy from her? I just can't think Jen's loss was totally mental. I think she really needed that day off. I hope she can get into better shape before the US Open!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Goal_Post said:
Fair enough, Serena played one of the best matches of her life, whereas Capriati played one of her worst.

Serena hit loads of winners, looked quick, vengeful and focoused.
Capriati looked the opposite, slow, distracted and hesitant.

A combination of Serena's good play and Jennifers dreadful play made the scoreline. Serenas played very well against Capriati before, eg. Miami final 2002, but Jen was there fighting. Today, she just looked like she wasn't up for a fight.
did you watch the match??

serena is a great player yes. but she did not play great today. she hit some flying shots that i have not seen her hit, ever. and she double faulted twice at 30-all, handing jennifer a break. if that's one of the best matches of serena's life i'd be very worried.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
greenout....is it so because you wanted JENNIFER to win?! Whenever someone´s such a serving exhibition like today, that alone is great enough.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
i find it difficult to believe that at this stage in her career, with the last 2 wins over serena, that Jen was nervous but it could well have been nerves and people do have off days- i'm shocked by the score really. i have yet to see the match- will do so at 10.

·
49,001 Posts
Greenout said:
This isn't even the samething!!!! Serena was trying to win in
Paris and Rome. Jen could barely get the ball over the net today!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if Jen tried, there was really nothing she could do. She made gobs of errors; so did Serena at the RG QF and Rome SF. If Jen beat herself here, it doesn't matter if she tried sufficiently enough for you or not, then Serena beat herself in Rome and Paris, plain and simple.

However, if you concede that Jen didn't beat herself, then you can keep those two recent victories over Serena!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
justinhosbey said:
actually, NO.

i have never said jennifer beat herself in her previous losses. i dont think a loss automatically means the loser beat herself. and therefore, i do not think serena beat herself at FO and IO.

did you watch today's match?

there is a difference between not playing your best ( like serena in IO and FO losses), and playing like an amateur ( like jennifer today). i know this sounds opinionated and not objective, but it was just too damn inexplicable today.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Well, I only agree a bit :

Capriati didn't play really well ! Okay.

But, don't say Serena didn't have to do anything : she played perfectly !!! Maybe that's the reason why Capriati didn't play well : i mean, when you're playing against someone who does whatever he/she wants with the ball, then mentally, you're weaker --> and then you play less good.

If Serena didn't play that well, Capriati would have definitely played better !

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Jennifer never showed up today. Tragic match, really.
Serena was good, all right, but it should have been closer.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts