Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the latest issue of Playtennis Magazine and they've printed a few chapters out of Justine's biography. I was reading the part about her mother and it really brought me to tears....

To mummy....

When I talk about my mummy, I never find words strong enough to say how much I admired her when she wa still around, and how I admire her even more since she's no longer here. I admired her especially for the way in which she fought against her cancer. A never ending battle that has touched many people, not in the least myself. I looked up to my mum because she was "une grande dame". You can say she was strict, because she had values and principles that she would never abandon. But she was always right. She never overreacted. Not as a mother, not as a teacher. And she had a fantastic sense of justice.

Together we experienced many beautiful moments, and suddenly everything collapsed. That's one of those moments you think there's no justice in this world. I could see what a good person my mum was, and then you get to hear that she's sick and that she will die. I felt that was so unjust. And even today I still ask myself : "Why her?". Of course noone deserves to suffer. But to lose someone you love so much like that is the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

I will never forget the day my parents got the news about my mother's illness. The word "cancer" wasn't mentioned yet, because I only knew that 2 months before her death. My parents were very discreet and tried not to talk about my mum's illness when the children were around.
I will never forget the moment. I went to the store with my godmother, and when we got home, my mum was lying on the bed. I could sense right away that something was wrong, I knew she had received bad news. They told us that mummy had to go to hospital for an operation. But can you really realise what's going on when you're 12 or 13? I knew it was something serious, but I didn't realise how serious.
The operation was in April 1994. She dies on March 26th 1995. She suffered for a year. A very tough year that I will never forget. We all suffered and it has marked us all for life. After her operation I went to visit her at the CHU in Liège. It was a very emotional moment cause mummy had suffered a lot. A very serious surgery, but I didn't know exactly what was done to her. Mummy was very sick. That's all Sarah and I knew.

In january, two months before she passed away, mummy did something incredible. She travelled 1,200 kilometres back and forth to see me play at "Petits As" in Tarbes. Mummy saw my semifinal against Gubacsi, a very tough match. There she was. She travelled so many kilometres to see me play one last time. Faced with death, she couldn't have given me a greater sign of her love...

:sad:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
That is so sad :sad:

Anyway I didnt know Justine wrote a book. Why does someone so young write their autobiography now? She has much more ahead of her in life she could at least wait till shes 30 or something she'd be able to write a bigger book.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
In january, two months before she passed away, mummy did something incredible. She travelled 1,200 kilometres back and forth to see me play at "Petits As" in Tarbes. Mummy saw my semifinal against Gubacsi, a very tough match. There she was. She travelled so many kilometres to see me play one last time. Faced with death, she couldn't have given me a greater sign of her love...

Never under estimate a Parents love for there child, it comes first at all times

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Justine :sad:
I'm sorry to hear that :sad:

·
Registered
959 Posts
The last paragraph is even sadder!!
Justine do your mum proud now!

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,970 Posts
shit, I've got tears running down my face. I never thought I'll read something on this board that would get me that emotional.

·
Team WTAworld, Destroyer of the Ring
5,336 Posts
:sad: Justine

best best better said:
Much as I love Justine (and I do), I have a thing about people writing a biography, or autobiography at the beginning of their careers. C'mon, she's only 20!!! I'd much rather hear the whole story when she's looking back on really great career.
I don't get you people don't realize it after reading this piece.
Live isn't certain you know, their can happen stuff, not everybody becomes thirty...

Why can't she make a book now? What "bad" does it do? If she has a great career at thirty or something she can write a new book, but this one is a certainty...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Justine said something on a chat recently tat she published the book cos she wants to share her so far experiences with her fans.

·
5,336 Posts
I hope it will get translated soon :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
It should also be known that Justine agreed to the book on the condition that the proceeds should go to "Make a wish". For those who don't know about Make a Wish, it's an organization helping children suffering from cancer.
Go Justine !

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Tears are in my eyes ..... I can' t find the book in France, do you know if it will be " out " there ? Otherwise, I' ll have to wait a little bit to read it :) .....

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
:sad: So sad. I find it touching that she calls her mother 'mummy'. It's hard to imagine someone like her or any star using the word 'mummy'.

·
5,336 Posts
Nicoleke said:
Tears are in my eyes ..... I can' t find the book in France, do you know if it will be " out " there ? Otherwise, I' ll have to wait a little bit to read it :) .....
Maybe through internet? But it will probably come out in France too, I think.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts