Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you grrrrls catch part one of this fine BBC drama???
(wednesdays ABC 9.30pm)

(its a 'lesbian' drama set in the 19th century - mostly in London)

The book is actually beautifully written, and the adaptation is surprisingly good. Its sumptuous, erotic, and quite audacious. ;)

And, interestingly, - the main protagonist (Nan) is played by Rachael Stirling who is Diana Rigg's (aka Emma Peel) daughter!!!!
and she is gorgeous!!!!! lol - really cute!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
kes said:
Any of you grrrrls catch part one of this fine BBC drama???
(wednesdays ABC 9.30pm)

(its a 'lesbian' drama set in the 19th century - mostly in London)

The book is actually beautifully written, and the adaptation is surprisingly good. Its sumptuous, erotic, and quite audacious. ;)

And, interestingly, - the main protagonist (Nan) is played by Rachael Stirling who is Diana Rigg's (aka Emma Peel) daughter!!!!
and she is gorgeous!!!!! lol - really cute!!!!!!! :)
I watched it on BBC, and I also adored this series! Read the book afterwards, and loved that as well. But for once, I couldn't say the book was much better than the series, they were of equal quality.

And indeed, audacious is the word. I was quite surprised to see such explicit scenes in a BBC drama :eek: . But it was never "over the top" :).

Enjoy the next episodes, the best is yet to come :p ;).

:wavey:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicky :wavey:
I agree with you that the production is as good as the book. :)
My only complaint would be that the series should be six hours long, not three - lol.
Still - its a GREAT thing to have on tv!!!! ;) :)

Reactions: nicky

·
#GloballyEli
16,290 Posts
Hi!!! :wavey:

Yeah, I agree it is a very good series.......but I still think that the original book is far better!!!!!! :worship: I read it long before the series, so I have very vivid images in my head about certain scenes and characters! ;) :drool: :hearts:

Have either of you read the other two books by Sarah Waters? Fingersmith and Affinity?

Both of them are excellent!!!!!! They are very different to Tipping the Velvet, even though they are still set in Victorian England. Usually I can always guess the ending of books but both of them really have huge twists and are extremely well written! Sarah really is the most amazing writer!!! :worship:

·
#GloballyEli
16,290 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elisse :wavey:

thanks for posting the pics!! :bounce: :bounce:
Her other books have been HIGHLY recommended to me by the friend who insisted i MUST read 'tipping the velvet' a couple of years ago - lol.

I am thinking of buying one of them to help me through a 12 hour flight i am going on soon - which do you think would be best??? lol :)

Reactions: Elisse

·
#GloballyEli
16,290 Posts
:D For a 12 hour flight, probably Fingersmith would be best, as I found Affinity left me with a VERY uneasy feeling after! :eek: (That's all I can say, because I don't want to tell you too much! :p ) Fingersmith is an extremely complex book though, and you have to remember it's VERY different to Tipping the Velvet! ;)

But, they are both well worth reading! :drool: I hope you enjoy whichever one you decide to read first!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Thanks for the tips Elisse! I was already thinking of looking for other Sarah Waters books, and now I'm definitely going to read them!
:wavey:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
we had that on tv here a while ago......it was then i found out what "tipping the velvet" meant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts