Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hungary was on Germany's side during the war and you just know if Orban was around then he would have been a willing foot soldier who would have killed as many jews as he could

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Hungary was on Germany's side during the war and you just know if Orban was around then he would have been a willing foot soldier who would have killed as many jews as he could
Well one of his stock-in-trade activities is to present Hungary as being threatened by a spider's web of evil with the Jewish George Soros at the centre....anti-Semitism writ large.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
It’s not really the man himself; I don’t know anything about it him. It’s just the way that people think that someone should be banned because they might have a different opinion to the lefty one
I don't think the ones writing that Babos should be banned from WTA tour were really serious about that.
It's just another way of saying "this is really disappointing".
So you don't know anything about him. Well, go learn about him. Schvedbarilescu posted a link to an interesting article.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
LOL - what a backlash because of A PICTURE - seriously? Maybe she's a supporter or maybe not? We might agree or disagree - but this is a tennis forum, I prefer to talk about her tennis here.

And to the poster that started to talk about Iga Świątek XD WTF? She received the Gold Cross of Merit, that's an extremely high civilian award in Poland and ONLY the President can award this. She is an athlete, not a politician. Stop making everything political, erghhhh...

Guys - you need to come down - if you are 100% sure that one side is all wrong and the other is super nice and flawless - then congrats on being brainwashed. Westerners have been educated to hate Hitler (of course) but as "the winners write the history" many of you don't have as much knowledge about the other side of extremism, which is as dangerous for the society as fascism. The far-left movement is becoming stronger and stronger but you don't seem to care as much? Well, I think you should... But your "totally free" media won't tell you that.
Please tell us then. Why should we fear the far-left movement becoming stronger and stronger? And also, why do you think that is, that the far left is becoming stronger? I'm not saying it's good. Extremism is not good, whether "left" or "right". But I'm saying it's a response. Left extremism is growing as a response of right extremism. Yin-yang.

But a balance is always better.

It's not about left or right, just about this man in particular, Viktor Orban. He's simply a bad guy. A dictator.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dunno her background in off court matters. Part of me wants to give her the benefit of the doubt — because she could be just a ditzy doll trying to curry favour with the head of state of her country (somewhat different from ideologically supporting a politician/party or expressing a political opinion). But it could also be both.
I would like to agree with you in general. There might be some akward situations sometimes for these athletes/celebs and these photos stay with you for ever.

But playing tennis with racist Trump at an
event, planned a long time ago, or hugging him
at a party is not a coincidence or forced.
It's a choice.

Hamilton is another example.

You don't cozy up to one of the most murderous dictators
on this planet by accident.

Trump gained more votes from black and latino voters
compared to 2016. There are reasons for that. One
is called selfishness.

Hamilton wants a 35% raise from his existing $33 million
contract, because his race car is at least 1 second quicker than the rest.
During a pandemic, 'where everybody must stand together
and fight inequality', while Mercedes might fire 20,000 people due to Covid... LOL!

As for Babos, she thinks a photo like that will help her.
It was not by accident. Orban is at least an anti-Semite, who
thinks BLM is a communist organization, sponsored by a 90 year
old billionaire, called George Soros 🤪

Players went out on court in New York for the first time with a political message.
She got disqualified. That photo is most likely a 'f*ck you' to the rest of her world.
She is not the first and won't be the last.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
For the record, I don't advocate burning Timea Babos at the stake, or banning her from events etc. I don't advocate any sort of punishment. She is free to have whatever political views she wants. We all are. Hopefully Babos doesn't share Orban's intolerance towards the LBGT community and immigrants among other groups. One would also hope she felt some concern about Orban's attacks on the arts and culture. And his flagrant disregard for the law. But whatever....

For me personally all this means is that when Timea Babos plays against another tennis player I will very likely be rooting for her opponent. There are a lot of ways of deciding who to root for in a tennis match. Rooting for the player who isn't mates with Viktor Orban is only one of them. But as things stand now, it seems to be a useful determining factor in matches involving Timea Babos, sadly.
I was obviously joking about burning her or punish her in any sort of ways ;)

·
Registered
15,710 Posts
I would like to agree with you in general. There might be some akward situations sometimes for these athletes/celebs and these photos stay with you for ever.

But playing tennis with racist Trump at an
event, planned a long time ago, or hugging him
at a party is not a coincidence or forced.
It's a choice.

Hamilton is another example.

You don't cozy up to one of the most murderous dictators
on this planet by accident.

Trump gained more votes from black and latino voters
compared to 2016. There are reasons for that. One
is called selfishness.

Hamilton wants a 35% raise from his existing $33 million
contract, because his race car is at least 1 second quicker than the rest.
During a pandemic, 'where everybody must stand together
and fight inequality', while Mercedes might fire 20,000 people due to Covid... LOL!

As for Babos, she thinks a photo like that will help her.
It was not by accident. Orban is at least an anti-Semite, who
thinks BLM is a communist organization, sponsored by a 90 year
old billionaire, called George Soros 🤪

Players went out on court in New York for the first time with a political message.
She got disqualified. That photo is most likely a 'f*ck you' to the rest of her world.
She is not the first and won't be the last.
BS

Lewis Hamilton case is totally different. That was the Russian Grand Prix. Putin was literally the supreme HOST of that event. It was by his personal permission that the event exists. The situation is similar to not even Trump visiting the US open as a celebrity but as a president. Or the queen at Wimbledon. Or as it happened Vika and Woz in Belarus (where the president showed up on court)

Babos on the other hand, was not confronted with Orban at her place of work. It's the other way around: Babos vistied the PM's residence/office. so her case is more close to Dementieva's multple trips to the Kremlin

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,175 Posts
I was obviously joking about burning her or punish her in any sort of ways ;)
I sensed as much. ;)

Unfortunately inevitably those extreme right wingers will exploit posts like that as a way of fraudulently demonstrating how terribly intolerant us liberals are.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Please tell us then. Why should we fear the far-left movement becoming stronger and stronger? And also, why do you think that is, that the far left is becoming stronger? I'm not saying it's good. Extremism is not good, whether "left" or "right". But I'm saying it's a response. Left extremism is growing as a response of right extremism. Yin-yang.
Because the history shows that it is just as f*cked up as the far-right movement and it doesn't work in practice. Idealistic theories never worked in real experience. Why do I think that far left is becoming stronger? The power of globalists continues to grow, societies become more and more divided (as they are easier to manipulate this way) and as a result the nations are weaker. The major media and tech conglomerates have one narrative (to maximize their profits and aggregate the influence in their hands), they censor and ostracize differing opinions, banning real, valuable discussions.

You say that left extremism is growing as a response of right extremism. I agree with Ying-yang thought, but in my opinion it's totally opposite. Far-right started to be more visible in the last ~5 years, because of the growing in-your-face leftism.

But a balance is always better.

It's not about left or right, just about this man in particular, Viktor Orban. He's simply a bad guy. A dictator.
I agree, a balance is better and we should protect the balance by stopping extremism on both sides.

And about Orban being "simply a bad guy" - I don't deny this. I just hope that you guys understand that there's no such thing as compassion in politics and business, nothing is charitable etc. There's no an easy division to "good guys" and "bad guys". We don't live in a binary world, where everything is either black or white - we live in a world, which is full of shades, infinite number of them.

One quote, which I will never forget, that I heard from a concentration camp survivor, goes "don't believe in ideologies/don't trust ideologies". West falls in love with Marxism - but it's not a coincidence, it was planned a looong, long time ago. Wars and revolutions didn't work, they have to try a different, long-term approach, which is working well for them.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Yeah, there are very few example in the world of genuinely ugly extreme far left government at present but Maduro is definitely the best such example we have. There really aren't a lot of crazed autocratic far left governments out there at present though, whereas sadly there are plenty of crazed autocratic far right ones.

And yeah, Mujica I definitely wouldn't describe as far left. He was absolutely no autocrat. He was pretty much the opposite of an autocrat. He was someone who was genuine in politics to serve the people of his country and make lives better for them, and he genuinely took nothing in return. He was an absolute class act and there is hardly a politician in the world who couldn't learn from following his example. To me although he was a genuine one off he also demonstrated what a good unselfish leader with progressive left political values can do. I'd rate Mujica as one of the greatest leaders of the 21st century. Easily.

Maduro is a democratically elected leader of Venezuela, and in regards to countries such as Cuba and Venezuela people often forget that they have been boycotted with sanctions and embargo.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Kim Jong Un's workers paradise is the craziest autocracy still out there. Orban
and other right wing wannabe autocrats can only wish. Not to mention next door neighbour Xi's CCP

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I am not suprised. Babos seems not very smart and a bit rude. Hungary and Poland are the worst countries in the EU. I am ashamed to write this as a Pole.

Someone earlier mentioned Iga Świątek. I am convinced that she does not identify with the current Polish Government. In fact, neither she nor her father has ever spoken out on this issue. However, these are intelligent people, so I do not think that this idiotic government has any support from them. Iga was simply taking the medal. She rather had no choice. If she had not received the medal, it would have been wrongly received.

The situation was different with Radwańska. She sometimes appeared at some celebrations which were organised by the Polish Government. However, she quickly realised that this was unlikely to be supported by Poles. It was different for her father. He did not hide from the fact that he supported the current government. There were even rumours that he had a chance to be Minister of Sport...

In my opinion, tennis players who take pictures of themselves or support dictators are simply pathetic and rather glorious. It is simply a shame.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have to say the part of far-left parties in Latin America not entering alliances is something I'm not exactly sure. Here in Brazil, the worker's party, made alliances with all kind of parties, from fundamentalist evangelicals, to the direct heir of the party of the Brazilian dictatorship of 64-85. Roberto Jefferson, who is nowadays one of Bolsonaro's biggest allies, was allied with the worker's party a while ago. The whole thing is really farcical.
PT is not far-left (though it's for sure one of the most left-leaning mainstream democratic parties in the world). Far-left would be something like PSTU.

But I get your point. The terms "left" and "right" establish politics in just one dimension, when in reality politics are multidimensional (economic liberalism vs. protectionism, social liberalism vs. conservatism, authoritarianism vs. transparency, multiculturalism vs. nationalism and such). I mean, neo-fascist parties are normally considered far-right even though some would say that from an economic perspective they would be closer to the center due to not aiming to downright abolish the welfare state.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
PT is not far-left (though it's for sure one of the most left-leaning mainstream democratic parties in the world). Far-left would be something like PSTU.

But I get your point. The terms "left" and "right" establish politics in just one dimension, when in reality politics are multidimensional (economic liberalism vs. protectionism, social liberalism vs. conservatism, authoritarianism vs. transparency, multiculturalism vs. nationalism and such). I mean, neo-fascist parties are normally considered far-right even though some would say that from an economic perspective they would be closer to the center due to not aiming to downright abolish the welfare state.
I agree with what you say about left and right. In order to have a better definition, it's important to talk more about concrete beliefs and ideas than just an abstract and general idea of left and right.

About PT, even though their government wasn't that far left, their discourse is often far left. And the whole thing became so toxic, that a lot of people just throw them in the far left category. A lot of Brazilians consider them crazy extremists, specially after the disastrous economic policies of Dilma. I'm surprised you know PSTU. They are pretty irrelevant here though, and more of a joke than anything. PSOL is relatively relevant, and much more left than PT (despite their voters being, generally speaking, upper middle class)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,175 Posts
I am not suprised. Babos seems not very smart and a bit rude. Hungary and Poland are the worst countries in the EU. I am ashamed to write this as a Pole.

Someone earlier mentioned Iga Świątek. I am convinced that she does not identify with the current Polish Government. In fact, neither she nor her father has ever spoken out on this issue. However, these are intelligent people, so I do not think that this idiotic government has any support from them. Iga was simply taking the medal. She rather had no choice. If she had not received the medal, it would have been wrongly received.

The situation was different with Radwańska. She sometimes appeared at some celebrations which were organised by the Polish Government. However, she quickly realised that this was unlikely to be supported by Poles. It was different for her father. He did not hide from the fact that he supported the current government. There were even rumours that he had a chance to be Minister of Sport...

In my opinion, tennis players who take pictures of themselves or support dictators are simply pathetic and rather glorious. It is simply a shame.
That's not fair. Both are beautiful countries with many wonderful, lovely people. They certainly do have the worst governments in the EU however by a big margin. I unhesitatingly acknowledge that.

The rest of your post I totally agree with, by the way. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's not fair. Both are beautiful countries with many wonderful, lovely people. They certainly do have the worst governments in the EU however by a big margin. I unhesitatingly acknowledge that.

The rest of your post I totally agree with, by the way. :)
Both where still communistisch countrys 30 years ago and you see that everywhere , its totally different then East Europe so its true what he said.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts