Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That is a massive leap - could you please provide an example where someone on the right tried to ban/censor/cancel/etc... anyone on the left? Or tried to silence a conservative speaker at an event. I will patiently wait for your examples.
Just look at Orbán himself. Or all the brouhaha some people did with Kapernick.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
For instance, suppose it was something like "Player __ buddies up with far left ____-rian PM" will probably get very similar reactions to this thread, just replacing right with left.
The difference is that there simply aren't any in the democratic world. Jacinda Ardern is probably about as left as you would get amongst the better-known world leaders, and she wouldn't be even a third as far left as Orban, Trump, Bolsonaro, Putin, Lukashenko and company are inclined towards the right. Even Bernie Sanders, trumpeted by so many Americans as an evil Marxist so-and-so, would be no more than centre-left here or in left-leaning European countries.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That is a massive leap - could you please provide an example where someone on the right tried to ban/censor/cancel/etc... anyone on the left? Or tried to silence a conservative speaker at an event. I will patiently wait for your examples.
White supremacists literally started protests to deflect and fight against the Black Lives Matter movement. Some people also criticised Naomi and Coco for daring to speak up. Trump claimed that athletes who "took the knee" were unpatriotic. I bet none of this bothers you though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The difference is that there simply aren't any in the democratic world. Jacinda Ardern is probably about as left as you would get amongst the better-known world leaders, and she wouldn't be even a third as far left as Orban, Trump, Bolsonaro, Putin, Lukashenko and company are inclined towards the right. Even Bernie Sanders, trumpeted by so many Americans as an evil Marxist so-and-so, would be no more than centre-left here or in left-leaning European countries.
Not trying to derail the thread too much with the definition of left and right, but I think the reason that there isn't a true far left leader that is voted into the majority power of office in a democratic world is because isn't the definition of extreme left basically the equivalent of communism? Japan actually has a far left political party which is literally named "Japanese Communist Party". They have a big enough cult and followers to keep a few seats in the House every election, and doesn't hide the fact that they are China's spokesperson.

·
Stanning for Andi
20,802 Posts
Ever heard of political purges? I would recommend expanding your reading material and learn how to use the multi-quote function as well.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Not trying to derail the thread too much with the definition of left and right, but I think the reason that there isn't a true far left leader that is voted into the majority power of office in a democratic world is because isn't the definition of extreme left basically the equivalent of communism? Japan actually has a far left political party which is literally named "Japanese Communist Party". They have a big enough cult and followers to keep a few seats in the House every election, and doesn't hide the fact that they are China's spokesperson.
Maduro was elected, Venezuela USED to be part of the democratic world. And despite being overall on the left, I hate him as much as the next guy, and I think most reasonable people on the left do. If a player posted a photo with him, I would criticise it. I believe all authoritarian extremism is bad and should be criticised, and cases like this, of democracies dying, is what a lot of people are afraid, regardless of their political position. I prefer someone who is liberal centre right, than an authoritarian radical left.

Some people considered Mujica to be far left, but he was quite decent.

·
Registered
315 Posts
White supremacists literally started protests to deflect and fight against the Black Lives Matter movement. Some people also criticised Naomi and Coco for daring to speak up. Trump claimed that athletes who "took the knee" were unpatriotic. I bet none of this bothers you though.
That's just rubbish. It's because leaders clearly start to question (and take decisions against) things like human rights, freedom of press, separation of powers, outcome of elections, ... It's not the fault of "the left these days" that it happens abundantly by "right wing leaders these days".
Not really sure how this is relevant to what I said.
I’m shocked by all the hateful comments about ‘leftists’, thereby defending Orban. Sorry but this guy is indefensible. He’s a fascist, an authoritarian, extremely anti-LGBTQ+, anti-immigrant, anti-education and he has been destroying free media and independent judiciary in Hungary for years. He’s a dangerous dictator, nothing else.

The fact that Babos is proud to post a picture with him is disgusting.
It’s not really the man himself; I don’t know anything about it him. It’s just the way that people think that someone should be banned because they might have a different opinion to the lefty one
Just look at Orbán himself. Or all the brouhaha some people did with Kapernick.
Weren’t they just speaking about Kapernick? Who actually called for him to be banned?
I am totally for that - BLM is a terrorist Marxist organisation who doesn’t give a toss about black people; they just use them as a shield for their totalitarian anarchist ideation.
Ever heard of political purges? I would recommend expanding your reading material and learn how to use the multi-quote function as well.
So no specific example?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Not really sure how this is relevant to what I said.
[...]
--> I gave you examples that you asked for 👇😐

·
Registered
31,453 Posts
Kaepernick set on a path of political activism (which led to a profitable deal with Nike). Babos took a selfie with the president. Yep, totally the same.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Obama is not leftist. Just because someone isn't exactly a proud boy caricature doesn't mean he is a leftist. I am sure you also think of Macron as leftist.
Right and Left don't mean anything these days. Obama is just a Globalist like Macron, like Biden, like Trudeau, like B Johnson, like Merkel etc. Globalist puppets.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Not only disgusting - should be punishable too.
Punished ? banned ? Those are the kind of comments that should make people realize how one kind of totalitarism is not much better than the other.

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You see, this is the problem. No, I don't fall into the same category because I do not undermine people's rights and I am not narrowing the mind of a society, which Orban does, harming and brainwashing generations of young people who will believe that it's ok to hate people who are migrants or have different color of the skin but still want to come and live in their country. So yes, people who support Orban should be banned from public sphere because they are danger. I am not the one spreading xenophobia, so we can't fall into the same category. And I think that being xenophobic CAN NOT be anyone's right. It shoud be banned.
Banning opinions is no less wrong than the nature of said opinions themselves.

History taught us you cannot fight fire with fire and the path to hell is paved with a good intentions.

The way to fight opinions you think are wrong are discussions, and convincing (and proving) to the citizens that these opinions/ideas are wrong.

If you tried approach "lets ban/criminalize a particular branch of thought" as a political leader in any post-comunistic, democratic countries, you would find people demonstrating in the streets faster than you can blink, even if the "branch of thought" is morally reprehensible, simply because people already experienced what abuse of such practices can do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It’s not really the man himself; I don’t know anything about it him. It’s just the way that people think that someone should be banned because they might have a different opinion to the lefty one
Wrong: it is really about the man himself, since authoritarian leaders create a cult of personality. The fact that you don’t know anything about him says enough.

I’m just sick and tired of right-wing people pretending the left is keeping them on a leash. Reality update: today’s world leaders are mostly right-wing, (unfortunately) they have the biggest influence on how things roll in the world. And still you guys are crying wolf about every kind of criticism that you receive. Pathetic.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I’m shocked by all the hateful comments about ‘leftists’, thereby defending Orban. Sorry but this guy is indefensible. He’s a fascist, an authoritarian, extremely anti-LGBTQ+, anti-immigrant, anti-education and he has been destroying free media and independent judiciary in Hungary for years. He’s a dangerous dictator, nothing else.

The fact that Babos is proud to post a picture with him is disgusting.
I don’t know the men but is he a Wilders type of guy 🤔

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
LOL - what a backlash because of A PICTURE - seriously? Maybe she's a supporter or maybe not? We might agree or disagree - but this is a tennis forum, I prefer to talk about her tennis here.

And to the poster that started to talk about Iga Świątek XD WTF? She received the Gold Cross of Merit, that's an extremely high civilian award in Poland and ONLY the President can award this. She is an athlete, not a politician. Stop making everything political, erghhhh...

Guys - you need to come down - if you are 100% sure that one side is all wrong and the other is super nice and flawless - then congrats on being brainwashed. Westerners have been educated to hate Hitler (of course) but as "the winners write the history" many of you don't have as much knowledge about the other side of extremism, which is as dangerous for the society as fascism. The far-left movement is becoming stronger and stronger but you don't seem to care as much? Well, I think you should... But your "totally free" media won't tell you that.

Reactions: machinist

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Right and Left don't mean anything these days. Obama is just a Globalist like Macron, like Biden, like Trudeau, like B Johnson, like Merkel etc. Globalist puppets.
Yes.

101 - 120 of 165 Posts