201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5
Graf/Maleeva--------2

Steffi looks really tired out there and it doesn't help that Dementieva and Rubin are smacking overhead winners left and right.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5
Graf/Maleeva--------4

The big serving of Maggie got them back into this match. Steffi just ahd to stand back and watch Maggie crack serves taht Rubin and Dementieva couldn't handle.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5
Graf/Maleeva--------5

Watch out!!! Steffi and Maggie scrambled to win every single point in that game. They played great defense and tahts important in doubles.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5
Graf/Maleeva--------6

this suge of games has all been made possible by the amazing groundstrokes of Maggie and Steffi. Maggie has been smacking the crap out of the bal and so has Steffi. The 1 seed needs to watch out.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5
Graf/Maleeva----------7

Steffi and Maggie had to be tough to win this set and that is just what they are. They are so mentally strong and they are my favorites to win this match now.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 1
Graf/Maleeva----------7 0

Great opening game for Elena and Chanda. they must win this set or they are out.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 2
Graf/Maleeva----------7 0

The lob is backa nd in full force. Steffi and Maggie must watch out for it when they are up at net because it is killing them right now.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 2
Graf/Maleeva----------7 1

Very important game win there. If they would have let Chanda and Elena go up 3-0 then who knows what could have happened. Great job keeping it close

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 3
Graf/Maleeva----------7 1

Nothing to say about this game. They just won it with ease.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 3
Graf/Maleeva----------7 2

The speed of Graf and Maleeva just amazes me. they are not that young but they are two of the quickest women that I have ever seen play the game.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 3
Graf/Maleeva----------7 3

The deadly groundstokes of Graf and Maleeva were in full effect in this game. Elena and Chanda had no chance.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Come on, Steffi! I know you are tired, but you have been playing forever, you know all of the tricks and you need to win at least one championship! I will be embarresed if I lose BOTH finals :eek:!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 3
Graf/Maleeva----------7 4

In the game of tennis you must be in the right place to hit the ball best. Steffi and Maggie must have worked on their footwork a lot because it helped them through that game.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 4
Graf/Maleeva----------7 4

This is about as close as it gets. The two teams keep trading off games. One of them needs to take control of this match.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 4
Graf/Maleeva----------7 5

Such good volleys displayed in this game. Serve and volleying from maggie had the two veterans at net most of the time and tahts where you want to be in doubles. They put their volleys away with ease.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Court Esther
[1]Dementieva/Rubin-5 4
Graf/Maleeva----------7 6

2004 Orkney Open Doubles Champions

Great job by both teams, but Steffi and Maggie were just better on this day.
Congratulations

·
Banned
211 Posts
:woohoo: Steffi/Maggie :hug: :bounce:

Good Job by Elena and Chanda, the nerves just got to y'all.

We worked so hard, Maggie! Down 2-5 in the 1st. Down 1-3 in the 2nd! What a match.

Steffi should be player of the week!

I'm a little disappointed with Singles, I definately messed up right off the bat in the 1st set.

Article in a few minutes.

·
Banned
211 Posts
GRAF LOSES SINGLES FINAL; WINS IN DOUBLES

Steffi Graf had a busy day today at the Orkney Open. Graf had to play both the singles and doubles finals in the first tournament of the WSTT Season. She played Maria Sharapova in the Singles final, and played Elena Dementieva and Chanda Rubin with partner Magdalena Maleeva in the doubles final.

The first match of the day was the singles final. Graf was out to a slow start, while Sharapova hit balls all over the place. Steffi could not keep up, losing 6-0.

"I really am disappointed with the 1st Set. I could've handled my nerves a bit better. Full credit to Sharapova, though. She was amazing. I hope to play her in more finals."

Graf was better in the second set, though. She and Sharapova traded breaks many times in the set. Graf was the better player in the second set, winning 6-4.

"I was pleased with the second set. I had great confidence going into the third. I sincerely thought I had the match within my grip."

Then it was off to the third set. A set that will not be forgotten. Graf was out to a sizzling start, winning the first game with plenty of confidence. But then things took a turn for the worse as Sharapova took the next 4 games and looked poised to win the third set and the match easily. But we all know how Steffi is: not a quitter. She won the next two games to get the match at 4-3 for Sharapova. Then Graf suffered a scare as she lost the next game to go down 5-3. Steffi showed her fighting side and won the next game when she hit many forehand winners with renewed confidence. The score was as close as you can get. But Maria proved way to much for the veteran, winning the match and the championship 6-0 4-6 6-4.

"She played an awesome match. I'm sure she is the new princess of tennis. But you shouldn't worry, I'm still the queen ;)."

Graf had little resting time, as she was out to Court Esther again to play the doubles final. The team of Graf/ Maleeva had been playing awesome tennis the whole week. But now they were up against a younger team of Dementieva/ Rubin. The match was pretty much in the hands of Dementieva and Rubin the whole time. The first set was a gimme for them, as they were up 5-2. But the oldies showed the fighting spirit and won 5 straight games to win the set 7-5.
The second set was pretty much the same as the first: Dementieva and Rubin off to a hot start, but Graf and Maleeva kept it steady. Elena and Chanda got the guns out early, leading 3 games to 1. But we know Steffi and Maggie can comeback from large deficits. They won 5 of the last 6 games to win the match 7-5 6-4.
There was no doubt Steffi had quite an impressive day. She ended it with a doubles title and more pride. She now leaves the Orkney Open, in search for her first Singles Title!!!!

"Fear The Queen, Bitches!"

"Good Bye, Orkney Open!"​

201 - 219 of 219 Posts