Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to hear about everyone's thoughts or outlook on Jen's 2004 season. I really think she should avoid playing in Sydney before the OZ Open and pick up a tier 3 title downunder at the many tourny's that will be going on in early Jan. This would give her some much needed confidence going into the OZ Open. She has 2points to defend in Melbourne so I am looking for her to kick some major ass. Winning one more major would make me happy for the rest of her career no matter what else she did. I know she has it in her.

· Registered
19,025 Posts
She shd play Sydney IMO....Gainin a tourney victory (Tier2) will give her the confidence she needs to win OZ..... Not much to win the whole thing but to beat the top10 players (esp Justine!!!)

· Banned
2,960 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to play two tuneups instead of one, or play Gold Coast and skip Sydney.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NeoSoul84 said:
Her playing in a lower level tier and winning would mean that she can't handle the top players( of course that is what others will think). Instead of Sydney maybe she should play Gold Coast.

It would be a good idea for her to get as many matches in regardless of the players rank, Jen always starts off slowly in Jan and loses early before the Aus Open due to lack of match play. With a couple of matches under her belt she can beat any player on the tour. Venus and Justine played the Gold Coast to warm up as well for the Aus Open

· Registered
2,103 Posts
I think that next year's results depend alot on what Jen does in the off season. She really improved her serve this last year and her net play. And, it was obvious during the summer that her game is really better that anyone else out there (I really mean this... I think technically her game, strokes, etc is the best on the tour)... but she needs to work on a couple of things.

1. Confidence. She needs to remember how to close out the big matches. She needs to realize that she is the best player out there (even better than Serena!) and not get tight at the big moments
2. Fitness! Dont get me wrong, I am NOT saying she is out of shape or un-fit--- she just needs to step it up a little more, esp. endurance wise for those tough 3 setters. She is def. a lot stronger than she was even 2 years ago, but she needs to get to that quickness level she was at around the time of the 2001 FO/Wimbly events. I really feel that the confidence will flow from the training it takes to be it TOP TOP shape. ( I really wish she would go back to Pat Etcheberry, who trains uber-fit Justine "THE HAND" Henin-Herdenne; he even works out of Saddlebrook Resort when Jenny lives; with him in her corner, I believe, she would be unstopable).

I think it was a good decision to take some rest after Filterstadt, and get a mental break from the grind. She needs to have a strong, decent showing at the YEC 3 weeks from now, and then rest some more and then train like a mad-woman for 4-5 weeks leading into the Australian hard court circuit. How she spends the off-season will determine, I think, wether she stays at the #4-5 spot or gets back to winning slams and being #1. Either way, I will be her biggest fan supporting her in every match!

GOOD LUCK TO JEN IN 2004!

· Banned
2,960 Posts
CapFan#1, I like your suggestions.

I think from now on, Jen should not play the European indoor season and use that time as her off-season. Then she could use the 8 weeks at the end of the year to get into perfect shape.

I do agree with Jen's fitness. Even though she improved fitness wise, she still isn't at the level she was two years ago. Maybe it's being a few years older.

I think Jen might be better off dropping the weight training for more cardio training. She doesn't need an ounce of muscle. I think she should get leaner and thinner like she did in 01. I think it could make a difference.

I hope Jen also works on her confidence during the break.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
Justine "THE HAND" Henin-Herdenne
LOL!! is that her official nickname now?? that's funny. i love that.

i just want jen to score a couple-a wins over those ranked above her--then it'll all fall intoplace and she'll relaize she's the best and the grandlams will come naturally thank you.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
GO JENNIFER version 2004!!!​
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

· Registered
4,309 Posts
I think Jen could really do some major damage in 2004. I hope the USO loss enabled her to realise her ability and talent and moreso, her hunger for another Slam.

I think Jen should play Gold Coast. Just to win matches against any type of player helps, as everyone is rusty. I also think if Jen wins a mini-title, she would go to Oz with a lot of belief.

Jen will be a genuine threat to everyone at the Oz. She just needs to work on her serve and closing out matches as well as fitness.

I hope she comes out firing!

Good luck Jen! :)

· Registered
4,748 Posts
I heard that she wasn't playing at Sydney, Hopman or Gold Coast. Is she just going to start out the year with Oz? She just going to do the HK exhibition and then Oz? Is that enough preparation?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.