Tennis Forum banner

This Reminds me of 1997 U.S. Open

655 views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  irma 
#1 ·
When Steffi Graf was out of the draw, and in her absence, there wasn't anyone to prevent Martina Hingis from going all the way...

#3 ·
Why would sparks fly? Steffi was two time defending champion beating Monica ea. time, and Hingis at that poinst already owned Seles.

#7 ·
This reminds me of the board last off-season, when there was no tennis to talk about and prevent posters from going all the way off the deep end.

#9 ·
"Wife," thank you very much.

Look at some of the posts this afternoon and tell me I'm wrong. The situation makes you think of '97? Fine, I makes me think of advil.

#10 ·
griffin said:
"Wife," thank you very much.

Look at some of the posts this afternoon and tell me I'm wrong. The situation makes you think of '97? Fine, I makes me think of advil.
It is pretty sad, and I admit to less than par posting, but hey, unless I can find someone else on this board who likes to talk tennis history and stats, drivel happens. Oh, and sorry about the wifey thing- I forgot to ask my husband for permission to post this thread... :lol:

#11 ·
alfajeffster, it was a general comment, anyway - but tell your husband you were a bad boy and should be sent to his room ;)

It’s funny, I know the absence of Venus and Serena will put a permanent asterisk next to the champion’s name for a lot of people, but look at some of the most likely candidates: Lindsay, Jen and Justine have won Slams and have nothing to prove; Kim and Amélie do, but IMO their biggest obstacles are in their heads regardless of who they’re playing.

Which is not to say Venus or Serena would give them a free pass even if they did get their brains in gear, but winning the Open this year would be a huge accomplishment for either one despite Venus and Serena not playing.

#12 ·
hingis-seles said:
When Monica Seles was out of the draw, and in her absence, there wasn't anyone to prevent Steffi Graf from going all the way...
Amen :worship:

But lets face it .....it is TOO much for their (the Graf FANatics that is ) ego to admit to THAT fact ! :eek:

#13 ·
griffin said:
alfajeffster, it was a general comment, anyway - but tell your husband you were a bad boy and should be sent to his room ;)

It’s funny, I know the absence of Venus and Serena will put a permanent asterisk next to the champion’s name for a lot of people, but look at some of the most likely candidates: Lindsay, Jen and Justine have won Slams and have nothing to prove; Kim and Amélie do, but IMO their biggest obstacles are in their heads regardless of who they’re playing.

Which is not to say Venus or Serena would give them a free pass even if they did get their brains in gear, but winning the Open this year would be a huge accomplishment for either one despite Venus and Serena not playing.
Hey- wish I had that room to go to- sometimes, but then I usually get over it. I think it is unfortunate they're both out, but I don't think the asterisk will be permanent, like the ones next to Graf's slams when Seles was out. I think this opens the door for Lindsay Davenport big time. The only player left she struggles with is Kim, and if they meet at the U.S. Open, I don't think Kim has the mental fortitude to beat Lindsay. I would personally LOVE to see Amelie come through and then play Justine in the final- imagine 2 players with 1-handed backhands as their strength in the U.S. Open Women's Singles Final?!? :bounce:

#15 ·
griffin said:

Of course the problem with Kim and Amelie is mental, but I think serena and Venus have a thing to do with this. Look at Amelie the last three slams she has played she lost once to Venus and got CRUSHED by Serena. It´s not many times a player world no.5 loses twice 6-2 6-1 in the semi´s of GS. And for Kim that loss at the Oz against Serena has to have affected her mentally....

In fact Serena works so deflating on people that she pushed BOTH Kim and Amelie to have vacations! Kim after her loss at the Nasdaq had to took five weeks to recover from the loss against Serena and Amelie didn´t play for four weeks after Serena destroyed her in her own backyard! Damn!

#16 ·
bandabou said:
Of course the problem with Kim and Amelie is mental, but I think serena and Venus have a thing to do with this. Look at Amelie the last three slams she has played she lost once to Venus and got CRUSHED by Serena. It´s not many times a player world no.5 loses twice 6-2 6-1 in the semi´s of GS. And for Kim that loss at the Oz against Serena has to have affected her mentally....

In fact Serena works so deflating on people that she pushed BOTH Kim and Amelie to have vacations! Kim after her loss at the Nasdaq had to took five weeks to recover from the loss against Serena and Amelie didn´t play for four weeks after Serena destroyed her in her own backyard! Damn!
Don't make a fool out of yourself. Do you think Kim's initial plans were to play Sarasota? :lol:
Don't present Serena even greater than she really is.

#17 ·
Is this turning into another Steffi and Monica thread ?

Anyway ...

This tournament reminds me of the 1994 Wimbledon championships after day 2. After Steffi was knocked out, the winner was anybody's guess IMHO - as was the result it turned out.

Oz open 1995 was another good example but I admit I thought ASV was going to cruise to victory.

#19 ·
A slam is a slam who cares who you beat in the long run. I am sure there is a greater sense of accomplishment if you beat the top ranked players but if they're not there its not your fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.